LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the poor paint quality saga continues, we just crossed 8000 miles and the nose of the goat has more pits in it than my silverado that has 125000 miles on it. Could it be that the black paint just shows it more? Even the door handles are scratched up as if the car was five years old. A while ago the forums were full of complaints but I dont hear much anymore, have folks just accepted the fact that we will have to have the cars repainted before thier payed for? I feel like WE should push the issue with whoever we can to get GM to fess up to the problem. What do ya'll think? Who would one contact? How would we get enough owners to follow through with an email or a phone call? I would be glad to do the leg work if I knew where to start (out of work right now and need something to do!) I did contact GM through the Pontiac site but was told that the paint meets specs.
:secret:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just got back from a road trip, and I have more paint chips in the nose at 4500, than my Grand Am at 86000. May have to re-clearcoat the nose myself.

I wonder what "specs" the paint has to meet

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought a Colgan Bra. I put it on for any trip that I am going to be driving on the highway for a good period of time. It takes about 5 min to put on and 5 min to take off. It doesn't look bad, but of corse I don't want to drive a round with it around the city. It also keeps almost all of the bugs from sticky to my frond end, making the car much easier to wash.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I don't have any chips on my nose (and didn't on the old hood either - even from the bastard running into me, the paint wasn't damaged), but I do have on the left side in front of and above the rear wheel two 1/2 cm long lines one right after the other as if a rock skipped off the surface. I've Scratch-X'd them down as much as I could and they're not all that noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been lurking here for about a month now and purchased my IBM M6 GTO two weeks ago. Prior to purchase I found my car had what appeared to be a water mark on the hood and front fenders. It's very light, and is only noticeable in certain lighting conditions. Anyway, I pointed it out; of course the salesman said that it would buff right out, so I made him write that comment down and proceeded with the purchase. It's in the body shop now getting re-painted. (the marks are under the clear coat, no way to buff out) In addition, believe it or not, in the process of using TWO clay bars on the paint, I found a spot on the passenger door, and rear quarter panel, which appears like a grain of sand under the clear coat that doesn't break the surface. It's not actually a grain of sand; just don't know how to better describe it. Long story short, not very impressed with the paint, but GM is making it right, who knows, maybe the re-painted surfaces with be more durable.

Only other issue so for is that the front passenger seat will go up, but not down. Dealer said the wiring harness was loose.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I still have the problems with mine, but since I don't drive mine everyday, they haven't accumulated as much as they did this summer when I was driving it daily.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
G'townGOAT said:
I've been lurking here for about a month now and purchased my IBM M6 GTO two weeks ago. Prior to purchase I found my car had what appeared to be a water mark on the hood and front fenders. It's very light, and is only noticeable in certain lighting conditions. Anyway, I pointed it out; of course the salesman said that it would buff right out, so I made him write that comment down and proceeded with the purchase. It's in the body shop now getting re-painted. (the marks are under the clear coat, no way to buff out) In addition, believe it or not, in the process of using TWO clay bars on the paint, I found a spot on the passenger door, and rear quarter panel, which appears like a grain of sand under the clear coat that doesn't break the surface. It's not actually a grain of sand; just don't know how to better describe it. Long story short, not very impressed with the paint, but GM is making it right, who knows, maybe the re-painted surfaces with be more durable.

Only other issue so for is that the front passenger seat will go up, but not down. Dealer said the wiring harness was loose.
I have one of those "grain of sand" bumps on my front fascia by my right-hand grille. Never thought much of it though.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
DGOAT said:
I bought a Colgan Bra. I put it on for any trip that I am going to be driving on the highway for a good period of time. It takes about 5 min to put on and 5 min to take off. It doesn't look bad, but of corse I don't want to drive a round with it around the city. It also keeps almost all of the bugs from sticky to my frond end, making the car much easier to wash.
Is that the magnetic bra they sell on ebay?

Doc

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Doc GTO said:

Doc
3500 miles and one or two small chips. Nothing major. There is no way to keep all the rocks flying off other guys tires from chipping your paint. Chips happen. Are you sure you guys havent been driving behind gravel trucks. Just kidding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother in law suggested contacting the hwy safety department, he says that while this is not a safety issue this department is responsible for initiating recalls. I feel like if we became a squeeky wheel to GM they might do something about it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Doc GTO said:

Doc
No, Its actual leather bra. I don't use it that much so $285 is way too much for me. I got this from autoanything for like $85.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The paint does indeed SUCK IT big time...

I have only 700 miles on my car, and I started noticing paint dips, chips, scratches on the front-end on the 1st two days of owning the car, around 200 miles on the odometer.

Something is wrong with the paint on the whole car, but the front bumper covers are by far the worst. Lets get another year on the car, and I bet GM will offer a repaint with enough complaints.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
kn7671 said:
The paint does indeed SUCK IT big time...

I have only 700 miles on my car, and I started noticing paint dips, chips, scratches on the front-end on the 1st two days of owning the car, around 200 miles on the odometer.

Something is wrong with the paint on the whole car, but the front bumper covers are by far the worst. Lets get another year on the car, and I bet GM will offer a repaint with enough complaints.
There must have been a bad run in the spray booth or something because not everyone is having this problem with the paint.

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
phobos512 said:
I have one of those "grain of sand" bumps on my front fascia by my right-hand grille. Never thought much of it though.

I clyed the entire car the other day and found about 10 all over the car. Worst set are on the front bumper about 6 just on that

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Guys, sadly it is not restricted to GTOs. My 2003 Berlina has more pits in the bonnet in 50,000kms than my Subaru Liberty (Legacy) had in 320,000km. Mine is a dark burgundy colour (Berry is the official name) and to make matters worse the primer underneath is off white, so every little mark is obvious.

Zaino is not available in Australia - I noticed someone else had a clay bar polish when I was at the auto shop the other day - maybe I will try that.

I also tried one of those colour matched polishes - it just added more swirl marks and the colour washes off at the next wash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows where you can get a bra, but just the piece for the edge of the hood, I don't want the cover for the whole entire front end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
phobos512 said:
If not for the etch marks in the hood and fenders, I wouldn't have thought much of them either, but figured going in so might as well take care of everything I found. Bottom line I guess is GM didn't give me any grief, hopefully, when I get it back it's right...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Help me out! what is zaino? A wax or a polomer covering? have you guys seen better protection from nicks and such? I cant find it in the stores around here.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
scgoat said:
Help me out! what is zaino? A wax or a polomer covering? have you guys seen better protection from nicks and such? I cant find it in the stores around here.
Zaino is a polish basically. It has very high uv inhibitors and will last a great long time. I have not found any product that will outshine it.
It can only be had online. http://www.zainostore.com

My advice would be to read the entire website. Look at the pics of users rides. Make up your own mind. I have been using it for years and wont use anything but Zaino.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts