LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of people have been asking me about this so I thought I would provide a bit more of an update. If your needing touch up paint for your CGM you need to find local paint supplier or dealer that uses DuPont’s Chromavision system. It electronically reads and measures the color spectrum by holding it up to the paint on your car. Turst me it is paint surface friendly. Three different readings are taken to generate an average. The machine is then taken and plugged into the main paint blending/mixing machine and then formulates the color. I got a perfect match.

Funny thing is the computer finds the closest factory match then tints from there to get your color. Mine came out as a 05 Chrysler color code tinted and mixed to the CGM. Several dealers I talked to sighted problems matching CGM and think GM may have provided the improper formulation.

Go with single stage acrylic enamel rather than the bc/cc blend. That way you don't have to worry about clear to get the sheen from it the shine is in the single stage.

***Update*** 10-03-06 Dupont cannot match my CGM using the factory paint code and either can the dealer. So a big WTF goes out to GM. Saved by Chromavision! Dig the chem E's.

Those with Cyclone Gray Metallic, Duplicolor is the only company that provides touch up paint in the small bottle that has the brush inside.

I purchased some from my local dealer for 6 bucks, part #12346875 code 12U. This stuff did not match, it was lighter. I shook the bottle for 2 minutes since the pigment settles in the bottom of the bottle.

I ordered another bottle and the dealer exchanged it. I got the same results. I am familiar with painting since I do quite a bit of it and very well I might add. I would have expected the touch up to be a bit darker even after several coats and since its not being sprayed the metallic flake will tend to group closer together.

The question is, have you purchased CGM touch up paint and does it match? Is it lighter or darker? I could not find this on the shelf at any of the auto parts stores around town. Prior to purchasing from the dealer Duplicolor told me the low volume keeps this from being a stock item in parts stores. So it’s a dealer only item.

So I am going to call a couple of dealers to see who has some mixed CGM in a quart and sample some.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also tried the dealer supplied 12u touchup paint, it was lighter as you stated. mine was a temporary fix to stop and prevent rust.. i would ultimately like to have professionally fixed. Keep us up to date on your progress.

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duplicolor

JMJ80 said:
I also tried the dealer supplied 12u touchup paint, it was lighter as you stated. mine was a temporary fix to stop and prevent rust.. i would ultimately like to have professionally fixed. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Duplicolor produced 2 different lots of the CGM for touch up. I need the batch numbers that are printed on the bottom of the bottle. It is a alphanumeric number.

There is a 2nd number printed on the bottom that is the GM part number which at the end has a 2 or 3 digit suffix, need that as well.

The 2nd batch produced was done september of 05.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
I never had good luck with any Duplicolor paint.

I use Paintscratch. http://www.paintscratch.com/

but I hacen't tried them on my CGM GTO yet.

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ruski said:
I never had good luck with any Duplicolor paint.

I use Paintscratch. http://www.paintscratch.com/

but I hacen't tried them on my CGM GTO yet.

The smaller the amount that is mixed the less accurate the formulation becomes for matching. Typically for metallic and darker colors anything below a half pint is gong to be difficult to match. That has been my experience.

For instance PPG offers “factory packs” which are small purchasable amounts of paint that are pre mixed at the factory in larger volumes. This insures color match accuracy. I have never had trouble with Duplicolor until now. I just don’t want to buy a pint of color for 41 clams.

I did find a dealer that has some mixed about35 minuets south of me.

I may give paint scratch a try after exhausting my resources. Thanks

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JMJ80 said:

JMJ80 call pooplacolor 800-247-3270 and give them the alphanumeric numbers on the bottom of your bottle (batch numbers). Sent a PM to you and would have emailed but no access.

·
Spending too much time here
1,848 Posts
Help With Matching Cgm!!!!!

Does anyone have any more information on this problem. The body shop has done 6 test panels and cant get the color right- keeps coming out with a green tint. I forwarded on the information you provided in your first post and told him about the Chrysler match. He has had dupont out with the Chromovision equipment and they still keep getting the wrong color. Need any help you can provide.

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have any more information on this problem. The body shop has done 6 test panels and cant get the color right- keeps coming out with a green tint. I forwarded on the information you provided in your first post and told him about the Chrysler match. He has had dupont out with the Chromovision equipment and they still keep getting the wrong color. Need any help you can provide.
sent you a PM with a disertation on this, hope it helps.

and BTW some clown put little indentations all over my mouse pad now I have all these dead spots. F N clowns.

·
1,848 Posts
sent you a PM with a disertation on this, hope it helps.[/COLOR

and BTW some clown put little indentations all over my mouse pad now I have all these dead spots. F N clowns.

Thanks and reply sent. Look forward to any help.

·
Shooting Wide Open
1,525 Posts
any more update on this?

I have a CGM and over the holiday will be adding a new rear spoiler and will need to repaint the trunk as well as the spoiler to get a match, sooooo any info on this would be greatly appreciated! I am sure someone on this list with a CGM has had their car resprayed - right? :confused:

Macro

·
1 of 40,757
6,484 Posts
Not CGM but I ordered a pint of QSM from paintscratch.com. Hope it matches better than the first 2 attempts by the collision shop. I dont need it to be perfect, just close! Goes in tomorrow.

<crossing fingers>

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also have Cyclone grey , brand new Goat (200 miles) and the dealer chipped and scratched it , when it was in for warranty work...Now they cant match the paint after 1 attempt...Not letting them continue to f up the car. I have them over a barrel and might get a new car out of it...jury is still out on that.But If I am stuck with car I need to find a paint fix????????????t\This sucks

·
1,848 Posts
I also have Cyclone grey , brand new Goat (200 miles) and the dealer chipped and scratched it , when it was in for warranty work...Now they cant match the paint after 1 attempt...Not letting them continue to f up the car. I have them over a barrel and might get a new car out of it...jury is still out on that.But If I am stuck with car I need to find a paint fix????????????t\This sucks
the GM formulation is incorrect. my body guy had to have Dupont come out with their analyzier and take several readings. Took him 2 hrs, but he got an EXACT match. You are not going to get a new car, trust me. But save yourself some aggrevation and tell them to get dupont out there.

I will try and post pictures later today.

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any more update on this?

I have a CGM and over the holiday will be adding a new rear spoiler and will need to repaint the trunk as well as the spoiler to get a match, sooooo any info on this would be greatly appreciated! I am sure someone on this list with a CGM has had their car resprayed - right? :confused:

Macro

I am interested in finding out how txbatman faired. I think the QSM is tougher to match and if paintscratch.com had a good mix for LS2-GTO (from other thread) then perhaps they can hit the CGM as well.

From what I understand Dupont is the OE paint for these cars.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'am having the same problem paint matching with barbados blue.Might try dupont

·
1 of 40,757
6,484 Posts
I am interested in finding out how txbatman faired. I think the QSM is tougher to match and if paintscratch.com had a good mix for LS2-GTO (from other thread) then perhaps they can hit the CGM as well.

From what I understand Dupont is the OE paint for these cars.
I wont know for sure until tomorrow when I see the car at night, morning etc. but from what i did see its an excellent match. I want the other side done. :turbonaug Paintscratch does use Dupont paints (Chroma).

·
Twin Goats...40 yrs apart!!
2,080 Posts
So does Dupont have a correct published formula for CGM that will match?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts