LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their stock grills black? I want to do this since I'm not a big fan of the SAP grills. Does anyone have pictures of their black painted grills?

I tried searching but no luck....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are nice!! but I want to ask the ones that have done it what paint did they use? Any black paint of the counter? or did they take it to a shop?

·
Herr Trigger
236 Posts
CaliGTO said:
Has anyone painted their stock grills black? I want to do this since I'm not a big fan of the SAP grills. Does anyone have pictures of their black painted grills?

I tried searching but no luck....
I just bought a set to paint as pictured above if I like my results I'll tell you what I did/used. But it might be a week or so cause I'm waiting on the ones I bought to arrive.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
I have it done on my car. I much rather prefer the black look on the stock grills.

·
Herr Trigger
236 Posts
CaliGTO said:
any black glossy paint for plastic will work??
As far as I know. I was reading the directions on some of the cans and most of them are spray and play. There is one that recomended a spray primer for best results but I forgot the brand name. I recomend you do what I did and get a spare set (I got mine for $30 in the parts for sale section) that way if you screw them up you still have the originals. Plus if you get a 2nd set you can always paint the others and sell them to recoop some of your cost.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
sap grills look alot better , and go with the scoops on the hood better when painted

stock grills dont look right cause they are flat , the lower opening is inset , and so are the hood scoops

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
You don't have as much of a problem with matching as the LS2 GTO's, so I would think the painted black with the chrome/silver ring would look great! (especially on a black car). Has the "new Pontiac" look.

I'd be singing the "doesn't match" song for the '05/'06 guys, though.

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
I had mine painted and cleared when it was in the body shop. Also had the honeycombs in the hood scoops painted black and cleared as well. They're nice and shiny...

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
CaliGTO said:
do you have a picture?
Sure don't....I can snap some...but don't have time until the middle of the week...sorry...

There's some pics of my car in the NHRA threads but they're really not up close...

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,559 Posts
I went to an auto paint shop and had them match the Phantom Black in a shaker can. Looks great! I have pictures at home but they don't do it justice (no offense Pete).

I just cleaned the grilles thoroughly after removing them. Then masked the GTO badge. 2 coats I think. Not a single problem with the paint coming off after 10K miles. I think a good automotive paint is the way to go for long life.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks! Now if someone with a PBM would step up with a picture?? Did you paint it yourself? any glossy black paint from kragen will work?

·
Omertà
5,305 Posts
ChrisMcGTO04 said:
Sure don't....I can snap some...but don't have time until the middle of the week...sorry...

There's some pics of my car in the NHRA threads but there really not up close...
Here's a pic of Chris's goat @Indy...best I have of the front...

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
Thanks Todd......I'll try and post up some pics later this week...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts