LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on sliding the brake calipers off the disk and painting them red. Does anyone know the caliper mounting bolt torque specs?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided against sliding the brake calipers off. I just masked everything off and draped plastic everywhere. The results were OUTSTANDING. The red calipers even make the stock wheels look better.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What is the torque on the stock wheel lug nuts?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HD926 - Dupli-Color Sandable Primer (White) and Plasti-Kote Brake Caliper Paint (Red). I was amazed at how closely the caliper paint matched the Goat's Torrid Red. Be advised, however, that the glossy finish will disappear once the calipers heat up the first time. But the color should stay and still match. Both paints are available at Wal-Mart.

VelodromeRacer - The Owner's Manual says 70-90 ft/lbs, so I set the torque wrench on 80 ft/lbs (split the difference). My brother thinks I'm nuts to actually check the torque on the lug nuts. He says, "Hell, just tighten them until it 'grunts'." He doesn't understand my relationship with my car. :)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am buying one of my Dad's digital cameras today. He's giving me a sweet deal on a Sony DSC-F717. I'll have pictures of this mod and the other things I've done before this weekend. I'll need a little time to figure out how to use the damn thing. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have painted calipers off the wheels before but never still mounted.....did you feel the need to cover the car or was overspray not a problem? Was masking everything off a problem? what did you use to clean the calipers?

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
FLORIT said:
I am buying one of my Dad's digital cameras today. He's giving me a sweet deal on a Sony DSC-F717. I'll have pictures of this mod and the other things I've done before this weekend. I'll need a little time to figure out how to use the damn thing. :)
Point and Click ! :)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VelodromeRacer said:
I have painted calipers off the wheels before but never still mounted.....did you feel the need to cover the car or was overspray not a problem? Was masking everything off a problem? what did you use to clean the calipers?
Here's the process I went through:
1) Loosen all 20 lug nuts.
2) Jack all four corners and put her on jack stands. (I don't have a lift... yet.)
3) Remove the tires.
4) Throw a HUGE 4 mil clean plastic drop cloth over the whole car.
5) Tuck the plastic behind the rotors and up under the car.
6) Clean the calipers with a little degreaser, mild soap, rinse well and towel dry. Make sure everything is good and dry before the next step.
6) Mask every damn thing except the calipers. Tedious, but still easier and less messy than removing the calipers. What you mask off depends on the detail you want. I masked all the exposed pads, brackets, hoses, valves, etc. so that only the metal of the caliper was left showing. If you want, you can just mask the rotor and spray every damn thing else. :) I used regular masking tape and pieces of the HUGE drop cloth I bought at Wal-Mart.
7) Spray three light coats of primer. (Lots of light coats is always better than one heavy coat.) The primer I used was quick drying, so I didn't have to wait forever between coats. I did not do any sanding.
8) Spray three or four light coats of color. Let dry between coats. (I chose red for my Torrid Red GTO. I got lucky and found this Plasti-Coat Brake Caliper paint and it matches nearly perfectly.)
9) Wait a couple of hours for the paint to dry, uncover the car, remount the wheels lower her down, torque your lug nuts to 80 ft/lbs. and you're done.

Now, to someone more mechanically inclined than I, removing the brake calipers is probably easier. But I don't have a garage, just a carport. I don't have a lift, just jack stands. I didn't want to screw up my brakes, spill brake fluid everywhere, refill the system, bleed, etc., etc. Besides, I had fun doing all this. I am in love with my new car. I want to be near her all the time. :)

Tomorrow night, I will post pics with wheel off and wheel on. I will also provide a "parts list" of the materials I used. Thanks for your interest.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PendragonZ said:
No clear coat???
To be honest, I didn't even think about clear coat. Do you think the clear coat would stand up to the heat? Not that brake calipers get scorching hot, but I do drive our winding, hilly roads pretty hard. ;)

·
Disaster
339 Posts
Damn you went all out. Sounds like you did a good job. Can't wait to see the pics.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the close up of the right rear caliper reveals my masking job was not as good as I thought. Still, the "bare" spots are not visible with the wheel on, and, thankfully, I didn't get any paint on the car.

Here are the pics...

·
Disaster
339 Posts
I must say that looks pretty damn good. :drink: Sure does add alot of eye appeal to it. Nice touch with the valve stem covers too :thumbs:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wheel Nut Torque & tightening sequence

VelodromeRacer said:
What is the torque on the stock wheel lug nuts?
"Improperly tightened wheel nuts can lead to brake pulsation and rotor damage. In order to avoid expensive brake repairs, evenly tighten the wheel nuts to the proper torque specification."
First pass - Install the wheel nuts (1-5) Tighten
Tighten the wheel nuts in the sequence mentioned to 70 Nm (50 lb ft).
Second pass - Tighten the wheel nuts. Tighten
Tighten the wheel nuts in the sequence mentioned to 140 Nm (100 lb ft).
Using a clock as an example.
Proper wheel nut tightening sequence is with a stud at the 12 o'clock position.
1. Tighten first wheel nut at the 3 o'clock position
2. Tighten second wheel nut at the 9 o'clock position
3. Tighten the third wheel nut at the 5 o'clock position
4. Tighten the fourth wheel nut at the 12 o'clock position
5. Tighten the fifth wheel nut at the 7 o'clock position

·
Registered
144 Posts
Brake Caliper Fastener Tightening Specifications

FLORIT said:
I plan on sliding the brake calipers off the disk and painting them red. Does anyone know the caliper mounting bolt torque specs?
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front
First pass 85 Nm (63 lb ft)
Second pass 45 degrees
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Rear 85 Nm (63 lb ft)
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Front and Rear 32 Nm (24 lb ft)
Brake Hose to Caliper Fitting - Front and Rear 35 Nm (26 lb ft)
Brake Pipe to Brake Hose Flare Nut 16 Nm (12 lb ft)
Brake Shield to Rear Lower Control Arm Lower Bolt 88 Nm (65 lb ft)
Brake Shield to Rear Lower Control Arm Upper TORX Bolt 75 Nm (55 lb ft)
Hub to Knuckle Allen Bolt - Front 108 Nm (80 lb ft)
Steering Knuckle to Strut Nut and Bolt
First Pass 85 Nm (63 lb ft)
Second Pass 100 Nm (74 lb ft)
Third Pass 90 degrees

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info, John. Sure beats, "Turn it 'til it snaps, then back off a little." :)

Where did you find that info, anyway? You must have a service manual or something. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts