LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my engine covers to my buddy's body shop last night to be painted. They should be back later this week, and will post pics. I'm painting them so that the "GTO" is blue, and the raised section is blue as well.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
TonyTJ said:
I took my engine covers to my buddy's body shop last night to be painted. They should be back later this week, and will post pics. I'm painting them so that the "GTO" is blue, and the raised section is blue as well.
Should look very nice.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Please post pics. Should look great. I've been thinking about doing the same with my FRCs, my custom intake, and the STB - I want to match the interior red. Anyone know how to find out the paint codes for a red that would match the interior leather (not necessarily the exterior Torrid Red)?

Padre

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Please post pics. Should look great. I've been thinking about doing the same with my FRCs, my custom intake, and the STB - I want to match the interior red. Anyone know how to find out the paint codes for a red that would match the interior leather (not necessarily the exterior Torrid Red)?

Padre
I do it all the time.
Just have them add more orange/ yellow to the mix .
Should soften it up just enough to match the leather.

I could make a 1/2 pint of torrid red and try to soften it up this week sometime. Iwill let you know what I find out.
It will be late week though cuz its going to rain off and on this week so I won't have the car there much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Post some pict when you are finished with them.

Slightly off topic, but how are the GTO covers clipped on.

The covers here in Aust are actually bolted on at the moment but the new VZ commodore is coming with covers similar to the GTO. I was just wondering whther it was an easy thing to mod on to the older LS1.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
ssberlina said:
Post some pict when you are finished with them.

Slightly off topic, but how are the GTO covers clipped on.

The covers here in Aust are actually bolted on at the moment but the new VZ commodore is coming with covers similar to the GTO. I was just wondering whther it was an easy thing to mod on to the older LS1.
please do post pics........they just clip on....no bolts

·
Registered
53 Posts
These are the new Holden covers. Can anyone take a pick of how they are clipped on. Also note the revised location of the radiator overflow bottle.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
What is it with GM and that damned accordion design intake tube to the throttle body???????? I don't understand the freaking love affair. My Camaro had this intake tube, my Avalanche had this intake tube, even my wife's Venture minivan has this accordion collapsing intake tube. What is the freaking scientific basis for this?

Don't you think it would have been simpler and provide a smoother air flow if they just came up with a simple smooth intake tube from the air box to the throttle without any folds and creases and all that crap???

·
Registered
53 Posts
The reason for the flexible section of the maff pipe is for vibration control as the engine can move on the mounts and the air box is fixed to the body. I dont think it needs to be so big though. If you hard ducted the two sections it would either crack straight away or fatigue over time.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I examined mine. The crests and troughs of the accordion are actually thinner plastic than the rest of the MAF pipe. If anything, the pipe will probably fatigue fail at this accordion rather than the rest of the tube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What the guys do in Aust is piss this pipe off anyway and get the GTS pipe with is 4" internally and connected to the maf or direct to the airbox (with the mafless edit tune) with a rubber sleave with metal clamps.

If you want a pic let me know.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
thread hijacked

Sorry to momentarily hijack your thread TonyTJ. The intake tube folds just pissed me off.

Back to the topic. I see that you have an impulse blue goat. I am sure your FRC will come out great and the extra cost is definitely worth it to make your FRC match your car.

In my case however, I didn't have to do much since the silver FRC already matches the silver goat. So I just highlited the GTO letters with a red pen. I like the final outcome. But I can see how people can really go crazy with these manifold covers. They make the LS1 stand out!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That red looks really good what sort of pen?. The blue you are doing is that going to be similar or are you doing the sides of the GTO as well?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Make sure you post pics. Im trying to imagine what you are talking about getting done. I think it is like DG did with his letters, but kind of what I did with my outside raised area.
From this thread: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5214 (Contains better pictures)

(took out pic, too wide.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some pics of the engine covers. The pics were taken form my phone, so please excuse the poor quality.

·
3,327 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
looks pretty good. bigger pics would help.
Yeah, bigger pics would help. I like the look. Did he paint the inside where the GTO is at?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts