LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not do them, a buddy did. He spent countless hours on them and strives for perfection, thats what he said to re-produce them. It wasnt that expensive from the dealer for the covers. I do not remember the list price of them.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
DevilYellow said:
I did not do them, a buddy did. He spent countless hours on them and strives for perfection, thats what he said to re-produce them. It wasnt that expensive from the dealer for the covers. I do not remember the list price of them.

He did a hell of a job...they look GREAT.

I've seen them on ebay for $80.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
Ok.. So.. You could still do it yourself. It's not that hard to paint. Save some money. Put $400 in some performance mods, not some rice wanna be look IMHO.

Not trying to be a smart ass really. I have a 2004 GTO and I'm not touching it cosmetic wise except for some wheels and tires and possibly a ramair style hood when one becomes available. The rest in performance upgrades only. I see some people already trying to rice out the GTO. Makes me cringe. But hey, it is your car and I'll respect that.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
They look fu<kin awesome to me. I don't think a little engine dressup would hurt. But there is now way in hell I would pay $400 though :sneaky:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was the first one here to have the car on the dyno with headers, the car will have heads and a cam before the nats ..... this is not a cosmetic only 'rice' car. I dont have the paint guns or materials needed to make it that nice, thats why my body shop buddy did it. I didnt say I spent $400, I said if anyone wanted to pay him to take the time to make them look like that thats what he would charge.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
I'm not trying to get down on ya, I just said I think i'll have to pass on paying $400 is all. :D :drink:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RAZRS EDGE, my post wasnt towards you .. sorry. I'm just dont think the painting the covers is rice, maybe the yellow is a little out there...but on the car it looks very nice. The darker colors really look nicer than the plastic grey look. It's not for everyone. But so far I seem to be the most innovative person dealing with other vendors trying to get products made on on our cars and making performace. I just dont think thats a 'ricer'.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
DevilYellow said:
RAZRS EDGE, my post wasnt towards you .. sorry. I'm just dont think the painting the covers is rice, maybe the yellow is a little out there...but on the car it looks very nice. The darker colors really look nicer than the plastic grey look. It's not for everyone. But so far I seem to be the most innovative person dealing with other vendors trying to get products made on on our cars and making performace. I just dont think thats a 'ricer'.

ITs not a ricer. Not at all.

Stick a big wing on the trunk and thats a ricer.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
haha...ok. I agree that they don't look 'rice'. And we ALL appreciate your help in trying to get the aftermarket going! :bubbrub

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've seen those covers in person and they look unbelieveable. they are more flat than the paint job on most of our cars. i could almost bet if someone were to do them theirselves they woulndn't have turned out like those. you must see them to appreciate the quality.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
DevilYellow said:
These are also smoothed out, not just painted.

DY Bring them up with you when you come up in April
I would love to see them in person
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FYI, I'm sure you all saw the pictures of the ones I did for my Camaro that I posted here awhile back??

Those costed me $400+ to get them done! It isn't simply slapping some color on them. It included filling in the "CORVETTE" with a flexible body filler, smoothing out the filling, to accept base coat, sanding the cover whole to rid itself of the grain texture, then standard base coat/clear coat paint process in the color of your choice. Having Cayenne Red Metallic didn't help matters any either! Point is, to get a show quality job, you gotta pay, period, nada, end of story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts