LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm half way done...The harder half. I taped off the grille, spray painted 2 coats of black, brushed on 3 coats of silver, and sprayed 1 coat of clear for a shine and protection. I also sprayed the letters with Krylon's Metal Effects paint, and a coat of clear. I like the look, but some of the silver came off with the tape, and needs to be touched up. Can't wait to finish it tomorrow. I also want to spray paint the bottom grille black too.

I know this is pretty much the same thing other people are doing, but my special touch is the letters. Pictures of the final product to come.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definately recommend taking the grilles out. I had to slip masking tape in between the grille and the bumper (PITA) and it took some of the silver with it when I took the tape off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately, yes. But it's probably worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
315 Posts
looks good!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
They are black to start with. Is it worth it to paint it. I dont tell much of a difference and now cracking will be a worry along with harsh scrubbing of the bug guts.
Chuch

·
Not Vengeance..Punishment
1,401 Posts
Lorider680 said:
They are black to start with. Is it worth it to paint it. I dont tell much of a difference and now cracking will be a worry along with harsh scrubbing of the bug guts.
Chuch
I can tell a big difference between the painted and unpainted grills. However, I too would be curious to know how well the paint job holds up.

-K

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I believe they are a gun metal, or something like that. Also, I used the Krylon Fusion paint. It "bonds to the plastic on a molecular level." My sister painted the grilles on her Vibe a month or two ago, and they still look like they did the day we painted them. Bug guts are no problem. They come right off, and I don't think cracking will happen either, because they don't flex.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know why they didn't do this in the first place.

·
04 Torrid Red M6
598 Posts
Looks good!!! I really like the black on red...

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
I used $4.00 spray paint from home depot 6 months and 8,000 miles and it is still perfect. Used satin finish and no clear coat. Looks good. No silver edges though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Awesome Job and you must have a lot of patience.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I decided to go a different way today. I painted over the silver, because it was too much of a pain to paint, and didn't look as clean as I wanted. So, I took off the bumper, and took out all three grilles. They are all black except for the letters, and the smooth background which I left the same. I thought that section turned out very well. I also found out that the clear coat I used dulled the shine, so I didn't use it again. Here are the final results:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Grill

Looks great.
Anyone do this on a PBM car ?
Pics ?

Also, I haven't even looked, but is there a way to take the GTO off of the grill ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heat letters with a hair dryer, and slide some floss or fishing line under them. They will come off like slicing through butter. Then just scrape off the left over foam/adhesive with your finger nail or razor if you like.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts