LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am about to paint my grills my question is after painting could I put them in the oven to bake the paint? If so what temp and how long? My wife is out of town for the weekend and will never know!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CaliGTO said:
I dont think you have to bake the paint? Just through some high gloss clear coat and you done...
I was going to try some satin black for plastic trim to try and match the lower grill.

·
C6 Ownage!
375 Posts
I painted my GP grilles silver a few years ago...had peeling paint within a few months...so make sure you use plastic adhesion promoter (I did not) and it may be a good idea to use Hi-Temp paint

·
04 Torrid Red M6
598 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion on my grills and it looks great, no baking required...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There in the dish washer now (like I said wifes not home) that should get them nice and clean. I have plastic primer and semi gloss black hope thats all I need.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hope your wife doesnt come home and catch you in that act! LOL...

( post some pics as soon as your done ) I'm doing the same thing, later today and will post some pictures tommorow

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
larrygto said:
There in the dish washer now (like I said wifes not home) that should get them nice and clean. I have plastic primer and semi gloss black hope thats all I need.

hahaha. When she finds bees and bugs in the bottom she may ask what youve been eating lol. I always have fkn beez in my grills

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rVOLT said:
hahaha. When she finds bees and bugs in the bottom she may ask what youve been eating lol. I always have fkn beez in my grills

Guess I better check the bottom before she gets home!

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Should look good Larry. Be sure to post pics when you're done.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
I used semi gloss and it is shinyer than the bottom. I think I'll just paint the bottom to match.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright there painted there in they look OEM but much better! Just want to lets the paint cure a few days before I glue the GTO back on any suggestions on what glue to use I was thinking hot glue. Once there on I'll try to post some pictures. By the way I cracked one of the hooks in bummper it took some creative engineering to fix it but its on.

·
I need more cowbell!
370 Posts
larrygto said:
OK I am about to paint my grills my question is after painting could I put them in the oven to bake the paint? If so what temp and how long? My wife is out of town for the weekend and will never know!
Microwave is faster..... 2:00 minutes on 80%

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
larrygto said:
Alright there painted there in they look OEM but much better! Just want to lets the paint cure a few days before I glue the GTO back on any suggestions on what glue to use
2-part plastic epoxy FTW. Holeshot and I had to use it to glue back on one of the bumper clips that broke when we installed my autocross grilles...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RobertHammen said:
2-part plastic epoxy FTW. Holeshot and I had to use it to glue back on one of the bumper clips that broke when we installed my autocross grilles...

Thanx I think my work will hold untill the next time I have to take off the bumper. Then I will fix it right!

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
I painted mine on the car. Spent about 1 hour masking the hood and facia. Came out great, no over spray or ugly lines. Was driving within 2 hours, been 4 months and no flaking peeling. I used a very small amount of exterior glue, construction type.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
larrygto said:
Obviously don't bake if your grille is plastic or WARPAGE will occur.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts