• Paint fascia center grey to match OEM rear bumper valance

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PBM, doing the SAP fascia and grills and am about to drop it off for prep/paint.

I narrowed it down to 2 options, what do you guys think? Vote above.

Both choices will paint the fascia PBM but the difference is the center grill area(the part that is left RAW on OEM fascia).

1)Paint fascia grill flat black. Would be a paint match to the SAP upper grill honeycomb flat black for slight contrast.
2)Paint fascia grill grey. This would be a paint match to the OEM rear bumper valance. So the car would have that gray in the front and back.

Below is a picture that gives an idea of what option 2 looks like. I can't really find a picture of option 1 but it would just be a slight contrast from PBM to a flat black.

Thoughts?
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Wheel

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Option 2 looks cleaner. I find different color pieces on a car to be ricerish but it's all personal opinion.
The reason (for me) to paint the fascia grill area a different color than the surround is so there is a contrast so it makes the car look like it has a opening on the front (to me that looks more aggressive). I agree painting it a color that doesn't flow with the car would not be good(say red, blue, orange, etc.) Flat black and that dark grey have matching items on the rest of the car so it would be a cleaner way to do it IMO.

Option 2 definitely has way more contrast, option 1 is slight.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
447 Posts
Personally, I like the contrast, but what you have in that picture isn't much. I really had to look at that picn you ppsted to see if it was painted gray.

Just curious if you're going to paint the rear valence at this time or leave it alone.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear valance is already grey from tje factory. Option 2 is paint matching the fascia grill to the OEM rear fascia. So yes I’m not painting the rear at all.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What color are your wheels? If they're OE wheels, that shade of gray might look good on the SAP (kidney) grilles. I've always thought a different color makes them 'pop'. I think that's why I had BRZN's car (Link) as my wallpaper long before I actually found my own BOM GTO. As far as the lower grille, I really dont have an opinion.

·
Worthless reject member
49,793 Posts
I would paint the grills some shade of silver. I like the ford medium platinum metallic color, personally.

I think the sap facia inset should be a very dark grey or flat black.

however, on a black car, i think black sap grilles and a dark grey sap facia inset would work well.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would paint the grills some shade of silver. I like the ford medium platinum metallic color, personally.

I think the sap facia inset should be a very dark grey or flat black.

however, on a black car, i think black sap grilles and a dark grey sap facia inset would work well.
So you would paint the fascia inset a darker grey than the OEM gray on the rear bumper insert? I could do that but then I’d want to paint the rear to match. Decisions.

You have any paint suggestions for the “dark grey” to paint the fascia insert and the rear bumper valence.

·
Worthless reject member
49,793 Posts
So you would paint the fascia inset a darker grey than the OEM gray on the rear bumper insert? I could do that but then I’d want to paint the rear to match. Decisions.

You have any paint suggestions for the “dark grey” to paint the fascia insert and the rear bumper valence.
SEM might have a flat black or a hot-rod black you can use. Not sure about the dark grey.

·
Doing the Mid-life thang!!!
456 Posts
Not the best pic but here is what I did.Matt black sap grill and bottom of sap. Car color is nebula blue pearl satan blue.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not the best pic but here is what I did.Matt black sap grill and bottom of sap. Car color is nebula blue pearl satan blue.
I do like the flat black on the blue. Nice car looks great. For your blue car the flat black is (to me) the best color choice for the sap parts.

I know I definitely want to paint the fascia inset for the contrast. Your car makes me want to do it even more.

I’m leaning towards a dark grey for tje fascia inset now and leaving the SAP upper grills matched PBM. Still have aboit a week to make up my mind.

·
Doing the Mid-life thang!!!
456 Posts
I do like the flat black on the blue. Nice car looks great. For your blue car the flat black is (to me) the best color choice for the sap parts.

I know I definitely want to paint the fascia inset for the contrast. Your car makes me want to do it even more.

I’m leaning towards a dark grey for tje fascia inset now and leaving the SAP upper grills matched PBM. Still have aboit a week to make up my mind.
either way you will be happy. Good luck and can’t wait to see it.

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
99 Posts
I just posted some pics of mine that I just had done. My buddy painted the extension insert area Hot Rod black, which he also used to paint the lower rear valance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts