LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to paint their OE wheel? I did a search on this and I can't find any threads on the subject...

Any suggestions???

I am thinking of painting them black with some type of yellow accent. I don't think I want to send them to a paint shop cause they are kind of expensive.

·
A Million miles and counting
363 Posts
Painting stock wheels

I've painted mag wheels before on various cars I've owned. With the GTO wheels I'm sure the clear coat needs to be removed before anything will stick to them though. The color combo you mentioned sounds right though, mine is yellow.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
They are actually silver painted to start with. That would need to be stripped then you could likely do whatever. What I want to know is, could they be anodizeed? I think that'd be cool, and it couldn't be damaged (anodizing, for those who don't know, turns some (a few molecular layers) of the aluminum on whatever is being anodized into Aluminum Oxide, basically a ceramic coating. This can be done colored too...) easily.

Read about anodizing here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Never thought about Anodized. I might have to look into that. I was wondering if I could get away with sanding it and then painting it. Stripping the wheel sounds like a real mess. I am also afraid of pitting or eating away the aluminum with stripper.

Eastwood use to have wheel paint, but for some reason I can not find it on their website anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts