LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake goes from no braking at all to locked up,, with nothing in between. I've never had a car that acted like this, always at tleast somewhat progressive. Do any or all of your cars act like this?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
mlc said:
Is that bad? Don't tell me your using it to slow down :eek:
Years ago, they used to call them "Emergency Brakes" I think, until someone discovered that engaging the parking brake while driving created a bigger emergency that the one they were trying to solve.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
mistermike said:
Years ago, they used to call them "Emergency Brakes" I think, until someone discovered that engaging the parking brake while driving created a bigger emergency that the one they were trying to solve.
If you drive a fwd car much in the snow, it is very handy to help overcome the push / understeer you often get.
Also, if you watch much rally racing at all it's standard practice for them.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
rschumacherfan1 said:
If you drive a fwd car much in the snow, it is very handy to help overcome the push / understeer you often get.
Also, if you watch much rally racing at all it's standard practice for them.
Yeah, I rember years ago, when FWD was a novelty, seeing SAAB racers using the parking brake to kick out the tail. I don't think I'm a good enough driver to try that myself. Most of the cars I've had, the parking brake was pretty grabby and unpredictable.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
True. I use my wifes e-brake in the snow a couple of time because that fwd just doesn't let you get the rear end out.

The problem with the gto is the brake is to far to reach. I don't think I could control it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Handbrake,

(No not the wife) on these cars is typical GM-Europe design, i.e. not great.
The cable design is poor and they way the mechanism activates the shoes is more progressive in reverse and grabby going forward.
Like a couple of guys have mentioned here, I don't use it and when I do (about once a month) it's just to pull it on gently while driving at moderate speed to build a bit of heat up in the drum & kill any condensation or corrosion build-up & keep it serviceable.

--- Sid447 ---

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I like the handbrake. I sometimes get crazy and use them for turns and parking (on gravel in a private property). Ive also used them on a FWD car in the wet (very helpful esp. with no grip ford festiva (aspire).

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The only thing you need the parking break for is keeping your M6 from rolling down a hill. Otherwise it's for show, or for a bigger show if you grab it at speed :mullet:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Adam4356 said:
The only thing you need the parking break for is keeping your M6 from rolling down a hill. :
While back my brother parked his brand new 87 5 speed camaro at bottom of his rather steep driveway. Put on parking brake, not sure if in gear or not. Next morning came out-- My car is gone! Stolen! Woe is me. Well, it was at bottom of gully some 50 feet down. :slap: Took rather big wrecker to get out and mucho bucks to fix the front. Don't rely on the parking brake to keep if from moving on anything but a level parking lot. In gear, wheels turned or whatever it takes. ( Maybe those loose wheel chocks in the trunk) :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but it's standard fare for me - parking brake on, car in second when parked. I've driven a manual all my life and it's so second nature that's it's really hard to get out of the car with it running because I have to double check it's in neutral before I release the clutch.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
While back my brother parked his brand new 87 5 speed camaro at bottom of his rather steep driveway. Put on parking brake, not sure if in gear or not. Next morning came out-- My car is gone! Stolen! Woe is me.
Back in the early years I got a knock on the front door of the house. The neighbor said 'Maybe you should use the parking brake' as he pointed to my challenger leaning up against a telephone pole. The next morning my dad had to use the neihbors phone because the pole moved and the phone line ripped from the house. A week later the town was digging up the street because the pole move enough to break the water main in the ground. I use my break all the time... now. Funny, no damage to the car. Got to love those heavy steel bumper.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
While back my brother parked his brand new 87 5 speed camaro at bottom of his rather steep driveway. Put on parking brake, not sure if in gear or not. Next morning came out-- My car is gone! Stolen! Woe is me.
another advantage for an all or nothing hand brake. Ive driven cars before (different to GTOs) where you have to forcibly pull the handbrake, just to make sure the car wont roll.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
leafbumperin said:
Why do you leave the car in second? I always use reverse, it's got the greatest ability to hold the vehicle.
I think subconciously it goes back to learning to drive a stick in a car without a synchromesh first gear, but no real logical reason - I just leave it in gear and second is the one it is.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A friend of mine had a VT commodore back when it came out in 1997, and the same thing was happening with the parking brake- so its a common thing. As I recall it has electricly actuated parking brakes- a then new feature on the commodore. That would explain the all on all off efrect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts