LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone put together a list of parts & prices for a REALLY cheap home built single turbo kit? This is what I have so far. Please don't waste time shooting holes in this but add cheaper parts if you know where to get them?

What I have so far is:

TO4 turbo with integral wastegate ($600) "This is probably too small & 2 of these would be the same price as a quality t76. ($1200)"

24" x 12" x 4" Intercooler with 3" inlet and outlet ($200 Shipped)
oil feed line to turbo ($50)
oil return line from turbo ($45)
2x Manifold to turbo Custom Pipes ($200)
Custom Downpipe ($150)
intakehoses.com for the hoses from turbo -> IC -> Inlet. Could be as much as ($200.)
Air filter ($40)

total $2085 to get running on low boost with factory fuel. Hell it's (the factory fuel system) good for a 100 shot dry why not 100 turbo.

8x Injector ($500)
1x Fuel Pump ($150)
1x HPTuners ($499)

$1255 for this fuel system.

or E85 or methanol injection for $200 & skip the injectors, fuel pump, HP tuners

1x HKS Blow off valve ($105 shipped) if needed.

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
when do you start installing them? :)

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
The expensive part is the LS2 blocks, and re+re labor, when you throw a rod through a couple of 'em during testing.

List of parts & prices is a cool concept, but fabrication costs go through the roof fast. For example, I have a pet project of producing catch cans for the membership here. This project is $1000 in on setup/development cost so far, and just for a vacuum bottle.

Some wag here posted a vid of a couple of guys who did a homemade Toyota Tercel turbo ... I am having visions of that but the search button has failed me at this late hour.

Although I am mainly here to encourage you ... if you can come up with a DIY kit at low cost, with results that can be quantified and duplicated, perhaps there will be others in the user community who will follow in your footsteps, and this is how cottage industries are born.

You see all the big dogs with Prochargers are unloading inventory now, so you might be onto something with the turbo idea, what's old is new again ...

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As to when I start installing. hahaha The question is if I even decide to start buying. This is just a list to see if it is worth the time and head ache to do it myself. By that I mean find an exhaust shop to bend the pipe and do the install myself.

I'm glad you didn't go too far ripping this apart. I could run into something unexpected but I hope you'll help me find that before I start wasting my money. As far as blowing the engine, I will have good gauges before doing this. When I was much poorer than now I put NOS on a 93 LT1 with no fuel and it kicked and bucked like a horse and blew the air intake hose in half before I got smarter. But I never have done any damage to the engine. I just took that same kit off a 2000 SS I was running 150 with no fuel. Made some awesome torque but it would fall flat on it face when it ran out of fuel. Never did detonate though I think the KR really works GOOD. Went down to a 100 and had no problems. That's what I hope to start out with on a turbo this time.

I saw that a guy was bored and put a bunch of old parts on a Cavaler or something over a weekend. That got my hopes back up. It was a rear mount. I shouldn't have to go that cheap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not trying to be an ass, but I think you will totally fail (just based on what I have read so far). It can be done, but you need a plan/design (not just a bunch of parts).

How do you plan on laying it out at a high level?

I don't know you, so this is a total guess, but I think you are underestimating the challenge by about 10x.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Planning price first

That would be skipping a step. Why bother laying it out until I have determined what parts I can get for what price. You can't fail on a task you have yet to determine to undertake. My task for now is to see how much the low ball bear bottom starting hardware will cost. I'm only looking for the eq of a 100-120 shot of NOS. When I get the car paid off in a few years I can turn it up a notch or two but until then I wouldn't be wasting my money on NOS refills.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't understand buying a nice fairly priced car like a GTO and then ruining it with a ghetto rigged turbo set-up with piece of shit bottom of the barrel parts. Why don't you just save your money and do it the right way?

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
2,048 Posts

·
"How big could it be?"
480 Posts
04silvergto said:
I don't understand buying a nice fairly priced car like a GTO and then ruining it with a ghetto rigged turbo set-up with piece of shit bottom of the barrel parts. Why don't you just save your money and do it the right way?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you don't get the essence of hot-rodding. I have total respect for the OP for wanting to do things on his own...No reason he sould fail, provided he does his homework and takes his time. And when (if) you succeed, Eric, you will have attained true automotive fullfillment!

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
04silvergto said:
I want input on parts and prices please not blah blah blah. I may wait and hope for prices to come down next year.

Why didn't you wait and buy an 05. See what I'm tired of hearing.

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
Yeah! Why didn't you wait and buy an '05? Everyone knows LS2 FTMFW!! Oh, and :ftw: :fawkdance

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here is some input:

I think the only way you will pull this off is to go with a remote mount setup. It takes tons of fabrication skill and time to do a more traditional stup.

Don't mess with an intercooler (not really needed if you run alky injection). The alky might also be enough to stick with stock injectors if you keep boost around 4psi.

I would go with 2 small turbos (that would spool up real quick). I would also make sure you run decent sized wastegates. You should be able to find plenty of rebuilt cheap turbos in this range.

You will need an oil return pump.

They make some flexible exh piping that you could use for the pressure pipes going up to the TB. It would look like crap, but it would work and is real cheap.

Find someone who wants to get rid of their stock catback, this will give you a platform to build on and you can always go back to your stock stuff if things get ugly.

Still think it is crazy, but that is probably the best formula for a junk yard turbo install. It is great fun doing super low budget stuff like this (but I usually like to start on more of a junkyard car in the first place).

If you want a more quality setup, your best bet is to just wait and look for somone dumping a used sts kit or something.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True.

Is there any reason a exhaust shop wouldn't be able to bend pipe off the stock manifolds and run them as an under hood single or twin? Would look better and save me the hassle and price of the oil return pump.

If there just isn't room for the up and down pipes I thought about just putting them on the bottom like the APS but there seems to be even less room down there.

It would be easiest to do the STS type but I would pay the extra $1 haha to put it under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts