LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,764 Posts
Here’s a secret. It doesn’t have to be either/or. It can be a republican initiative and pass with bipartisan support.

·
Administrator
18,775 Posts
Well, to give Injun a little back-up, nothing makes it to that far without everyone knowing the POTUS is down. Going from memory, that fucktastic legislation was a W brainchild.

lollers... "W brainchild". I crack myself up sometimes.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,677 Posts
and maybe if sideshow bern hadn't been a dumpster fire of skeletons in his closet the DNC would have gone with the populace and run him instead of the hilldog who they knew middle america wouldn't stomach. and then we would have had a completely different election - I do truly believe. #neverhillary won not trump.

there are a number of other what if's but to be fair it's great this is finally going away. Now if we could do something about the FCC.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,677 Posts
Well, to give Injun a little back-up, nothing makes it to that far without everyone knowing the POTUS is down. Going from memory, that fucktastic legislation was a W brainchild.

lollers... "W brainchild". I crack myself up sometimes.

He fronted it but I'm not sure he came up with it. sucks either way but I'm not 100% sure W came up with anything during his term other than ducking the shoe.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,764 Posts
Looking back at this, the PA was passed within days of the 9/11 attacks, which shows they had this ready to go and jumped at the opportunity. Scary how such a complicated piece came together that fast, no?

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,038 Posts
Looking back at this, the PA was passed within days of the 9/11 attacks, which shows they had this ready to go and jumped at the opportunity. Scary how such a complicated piece came together that fast, no?
This has been on my mind for almost two decades now. It's hard to throw rocks at the conspiracy theorists when this sort of thing is a stark reality.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,764 Posts
This has been on my mind for almost two decades now. It's hard to throw rocks at the conspiracy theorists when this sort of thing is a stark reality.
Quite a leap from "they had this thing ready in case the timing became right" to "making it happen by bombing our own people" though. I see this more as something some prepper type loony was working on that had no chance of passing, but then 9/11 happened and the insane became reality in a bipartisan way.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,038 Posts
I couldn't agree more. But there's a much smaller difference between capitalizing on a random occurrence vs. having actionable intelligence that an attack is coming and allowing it to happen in order to push desired legislation through.

But even at that, Cheney was president for all of eight months when the attack happened. So how likely do we think it is that either the attack OR the Patriot Act legislation were conceived, planned, and executed entirely within the time constraints of that administration?

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,764 Posts
Meh. My thesis is it was the Pubs that wanted this, but even if I’m wrong there are wackos on both sides trying to pass all sorts of crazy legislation to make their constituents happy even if it never gets out of committee. Also it turns out there were a lot of things legislated later that I either missed or they hid inside other bills. So... ???

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,764 Posts
Also, lol. “Cheney was president...”

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Act is little more than a whipping boy and distraction, fact is our government, the one WE pay for, has, is and will continue to do whatever the fuck it wants. Example: Ever filled a 4473, your FFL phones in and in a matter of seconds (provided the system is not over loaded) the government gives (or not) it's blessing on your purchase of that .22 single shot for the boy? Your SSN is your tracking number, think about the number and type of documents that require it and that a child is issued one before leaving the new born ward. When I was a ladd you didn't need one until you reached the age of gainful employment, now you are incognito for no more than the few minutes it takes to process a birth certificate. Ever been in a work environment knowing the big boss, (the nit picky fucker that always finds something to bitch about regardless of the plant's condition and makes it the single one thing that's gonna bring the whole company down,) is coming tomorrow so you put one mess right in the middle of the floor where he can't miss it as soon as he walks in so he can be a dick about that and leave everyone else alone? That is the Patriot Act.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,677 Posts
Meh. My thesis is it was the Pubs that wanted this, but even if I’m wrong there are wackos on both sides trying to pass all sorts of crazy legislation to make their constituents happy even if it never gets out of committee. Also it turns out there were a lot of things legislated later that I either missed or they hid inside other bills. So... ???
Indeed, there are days I wonder what doesn't make it out of the committee. I've been told I don't want to know.

I’d bet a paycheck that the First draft of the Patriot Act was written in the 80s. I know Clinton asked for a lot of what’s in the PA after the OKC bombing but didn’t get it.
That's my thought too. probably after reagan was shot. But I also wonder if it was as much a litmus test for the populace. Just how much are you willing to stomach for the appearance of safety. Look at what Germany and UK do today. or rather what's publicized. I'm sure someone or set of people is happy as can be that people just love facecrack and instaho.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was reminded that one of the big complaints of the PA when it was enacted was that no one in Congress read it, or took the time to understand the parts they did read. Funny how familiar that sounds...
R+D in the field, beta testing, let the courts do the leg work.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts