LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Note My bolded green bit. Might be a bit of an issue. If you are going to turn my GTO into a G8. Then I'll pay about 10K more for it to become a UTE too.

Please and thank you.

Meanwhile. My GTO has a lovells 20mm drop kit on it now. I replaced it in Feburary. I can put the only stuff back on if need be. I do like to think I am a bit vocal and you can rest assured I will give you my honest feed back on the kit. I will even let you take off my hotchkis sways.

I will happily let you have my YELLOW 04 GTO for a week if need be. I will want to watch and take pics of the install if need be.

Likewise if I like them, (and I suspect I will from the specs) I will want my car taken up to close to spec heights with a little bit of front drop. I will note the differences before and after with skid pad measurements, using the same car, same driver, and same tires (or at least the same make, model, and size)

Testing is what I used to do for a living so I have no problems there. but if I type it, I WILL be unbiased in my judgement.

MY car is also Daily Driven, and has been tracked before. I do have more time these days to track and Auto X my car again (been out of it for over 2 years now). So I can give feed back on both aspects. I also perform most of my own work on the car so I can provide feedback there as well.

Even if not picked, I look forward to hearing more about this kit. Either for the GTO or for the G8.

Thank you
Sounds interesting.

·
lol
15,314 Posts
Pick me Pete! I have Pedders struts, RR Bushings and drop springs that have been on the car for 30k and 60k on everything else.

Why? Humm because I am awesome, I beat the fuck out of my car, I put 20,000+ miles a year on it, post a lot, have GPS to get to Muskegon Michigan, will be at the LSX Shootout this year, will be at the Backstreet dyno day next year, will be at GM Nats next year and you can put stuff in our tent :D

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I was at Backstreet last night and saw the Camaro kit :drool: Rich mentioned that this may be coming for the GTO. I'd love to through my hat in the ring. I'm not stock but I'm not a Pedders fan body either. I have Energy bushings for the most part, King springs and Comfort gas shocks/struts.

I'm very active on this board and a mod on our regional board
I'm within 20 miles of a great local Pedders dealer (Backstreet)
Original owner (May 2004)
Daily driven March to November at least (38k on the ODO)
166+ passes on the drag strip over 6 years of ownship
Love the twisties
Written several install guides for the DIY crews
Often loan out my services/tools/garage to help fellow Goats.

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
We would never put a customers car on track. That is a legal liability disaster waiting to happen. We do do that type of testing in company owned cars with professional drivers on a closed track.
Someone getting a 5k coilover system should be willing to sign a waiver to have their car drive around some CONES in a parking lot.

I'm telling you as an unbiased individual with no intention of throwing my (nonexistant) GTO in the ring...the only way to make this whole thing worth a shit to this community is showing how your new coilovers compare from OE to KW/Qa1/etc in an environment that will produce actual objective results.

Otherwise, you guys are just setting this all up to be "ZOMG THE NEW COILOVERS ARE SOOOO AWESOME" ...it's fluff.

·
"Gitter Done"
253 Posts
I'm all for it, and I figure that my car is just about ready to do suspension mods now that the power is Right.

PLUS I heard you Michigan guys like the MAZE and BLUE. (my car's colors) you know you like it -

All you have to do is let me know when to crank it up. I'll put on the extra miles w/ a happy face - would be a perfect run to break in the new KDW2's.

I've only put on Pedders Front and rear springs and Strut Tower bushings (replacement) and Berring Packs (replacement OE's were CRUSHED to nothing).
Struts are a standard OEM replacement.

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
We would never put a customers car on track. That is a legal liability disaster waiting to happen. We do do that type of testing in company owned cars with professional drivers on a closed track.
Before anyone drives their car back (how ever long the distance) I sure as shit hope you are going to put it through some type of tests.

·
At the Poker Table
3,782 Posts
bout time we see something like this for the GTO...too bad i'm broke now.... Good Job Pete!

please throw me in the mix...have a few pedders bushings, H&R and Koni's...i'm unemployed so I have all the time in the world to head out to MI

also MORE THEN WILLING to let this thing get beat up on the track

Wife and I have done more then 9,000 miles of road trips since the start of the year.....more then willing to put miles on this suspension. Drive to alaska? Stock suspension handled dirt roads well...how'd this do?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Before anyone drives their car back (how ever long the distance) I sure as shit hope you are going to put it through some type of tests.
There is a huge difference between the pre-delivery check and customer delivery as compared to running all out on a race track. One is routine business and the other is very hard on a car.

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
Cones in a parking lot do not equate to race track.

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
There is a huge difference between the pre-delivery check and customer delivery as compared to running all out on a race track. One is routine business and the other is very hard on a car.
I'm not saying full out race it on a race track but do something that tests the car a tad.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Someone getting a 5k coilover system should be willing to sign a waiver to have their car drive around some CONES in a parking lot.

I'm telling you as an unbiased individual with no intention of throwing my (nonexistant) GTO in the ring...the only way to make this whole thing worth a shit to this community is showing how your new coilovers compare from OE to KW/Qa1/etc in an environment that will produce actual objective results.

Otherwise, you guys are just setting this all up to be "ZOMG THE NEW COILOVERS ARE SOOOO AWESOME" ...it's fluff.
Apparently we are not going to make you happy or so others. For me to be satisfied with the testing it would have to be done at Gingerman with full data logging and my professional drivers to my satisfaction. That takes us a full day. We do this for our living and know exactly what it takes to have a car track ready. Here is a short list to get ready for a track session. This is not the full list, just the short list.

1. New Cobalt Friction Pads
2. New Rotors
3. 4 Caliper Rebuilds
4. Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
5. Synthetic Engine, tranny and diff changes
6. Full Car Safety Check -- Every Steering, Driveline and Suspension Bolt
7. Track Rental
8. Medical Crew Fee
9. Track Side tech Support
10. Driver Fee
11. Data Log Break Analysis

This doesn't begin to address the fallout if the differential or the engine becomes oil or fuel starved from the high G loads we generate resulting in a failure. Not that we have any experience with this and a GTO on track at Gingerman ;).

We have been down this road before and I have no interest in going down it again. We have posted our GTO test data. It did not satisfy everyone. Now the new solution does not satisfy everyone. What does this all mean? No matter what we do, some will like it and some won't.

·
Banned
9,077 Posts
So far, all the provisos sound reasonable for your ideal candidate car (mine). After all, if the testing grenades the car, Pedders gets no data.

·
Rambler is stuck in 2nd gear
2,056 Posts
Since Pedders says that the complete system (shocks, struts, springs, bushings) makes the car work like it should, I think you should pick someone that already has the bushings and the rest of the Pedders line to make the new products work as designed. If you get a stock car, I would imagine the first thing is going to be--new bushings or the new struts/shocks will not work as designed. If these are promoted as supercar worthy, wouldn't you need supporting suspension pieces already installed so you could really tell the improvements made in the struts? I have the serious street package plus several other bushings by Pedders. I have run the car at a north TX road track and sometimes daily drive the car. I have plenty of vacation time and would come to Michigan and spend the necessary time after the install to drive and review the new parts. After the drive back, I can track the car and see the difference the new parts make in handling and stopping and write another review and be glad to answer questions on the board.
Thanks for looking out for the GTO owners.
dw

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
I said cones in a parking lot. AutoX doesn't require anywhere near that amount of prep. (and if you wanted to get into specifics there are plenty of HPDE days you could run this test at a real track for pennies on the dollars you're talking)

Cones in a parking lot.

OE vs. KW vs. SuperDupz

Cones in a parking lot.

I'm sure the GTO community is lining up around the block to drop 5k on a coilover system from a company that is refusing to put it up against a system at half the price for some objective numbers.

It's not the testing people don't like. It's the fluff. Either buck up or continue to fluff.

:dunno:

·
Administrator
16,444 Posts
Hmm... This actually looks extremely interesting. If you could forgo the OE suspension BS, I have the $ and the time. It still won't change the fact that I swap my suspension around like grubby undies depending upon the driving I'm doing. Or maybe it will....

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
How did we jump from testing the car autox style to it being entered in grand am series race?

"For me to be satisfied with the testing it would have to be done at Gingerman with full data logging and my professional drivers to my satisfaction. That takes us a full day. We do this for our living and know exactly what it takes to have a car track ready. Here is a short list to get ready for a track session."
Will we at least take it around some back road twistys? Hell we will even obey all posted street signs.

41 - 60 of 667 Posts