LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, deferring to the mechanics on the forum, here is my "Performance Mod Wish List", shown in the order I plan on installing. None of this work will be done before winter, but I am already planning (and saving the $$). Please advise:

Sub-frame connectors.
Competition clutch and short throw shifter.
Long tube headers and high flow cats that bolt onto the stock tail pipes.
LS6 heads and cam package.
90mm throttle body and high flow fuel rails.
Sexy, big a** disk brake rotors and performance calipers.
Anything else you recommend.
Last Resort: Supercharger or NOS (Personally, I think NOS is for four-bangers who can't generate horsepower any other way, but hey, I'm open minded!)

Thanks.

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
what's the dollar amount on the wish list?

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
No way, the LS1 is much better suited to Nitrous than forced induction, HIgh Compression with no forged internals, especially when you say you want to go with the LS6 heads

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
My list:

Better tires
Short throw shifter
Full exhaust (LT's to tail pipe) that doesn't make it too loud.
Competiton clutch
Magnacharger (doing heads and cam as long as it's torn apart)
Suspension parts to make it handle better on the track

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
FLORIT said:
OK, deferring to the mechanics on the forum, here is my "Performance Mod Wish List", shown in the order I plan on installing. None of this work will be done before winter, but I am already planning (and saving the $$). Please advise:

Sub-frame connectors.
Competition clutch and short throw shifter.
Long tube headers and high flow cats that bolt onto the stock tail pipes.
LS6 heads and cam package.
90mm throttle body and high flow fuel rails.
Sexy, big a** disk brake rotors and performance calipers.
Anything else you recommend.
Last Resort: Supercharger or NOS (Personally, I think NOS is for four-bangers who can't generate horsepower any other way, but hey, I'm open minded!)

Thanks.

With all that you might want to save some money for a new rear end. :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UBDSLO1 said:
what's the dollar amount on the wish list?
No firm numbers yet, but a quick web search yielded about $8K to $10K in parts alone. Labor cost will depend on who does it, but it won't be me. Changing spark plugs is one thing, changing heads and a cam is quite another.

I can save about $1400.00 by skipping the 90mm throttle body and an intake to support it. I've read on this forum that the stock throttle body is good enough for most bolt on mods. I guess it depends on how much RWHP I end up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Along those same lines. I was thinking of adding the LS6 cam and heads (P/N 12565308 and P/N 12564824, respectively) to the car. This is the same mod done on the GM's AUTOX version of the GTO, and should bring the engine up to an LS6. I found the parts to be about $1060 from GM, and Speed Inc. would charge about $1600 to install everything including a ECU tune for the new upgrades. So for $2700 it should take the engine to about 350rwhp.

I am looking for mods that will retain the reliability of the motor since this is a daily driver as well for me. Since this is basically the same engine as the Z06 and it is using GM parts made for the GENIII engine, I felt this was the most reliable. What does everyone else thing about the reliability of this mod? I know that this could affect the warranty, but what affect would it have? Would it be easy to see the modification? Is GM a little more lenient on warranty issues if you use GM Performance parts? I know it may be up to each individual dealership, but I am curious what everyone elses thoughts are on this in general. Thanks.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
GTOinATL said:
I found the parts to be about $1060 from GM, and Speed Inc. would charge about $1600 to install everything including a ECU tune for the new upgrades. So for $2700 it should take the engine to about 350rwhp.
Its crazy that people charge the same amount if not more just to install. Thats why I'm glad to know a guy with a shop,that is fit for a Top Fuel Dragster, and do everything on my own :D But I would take it to someone for the ECU tune up. I won't touch that stuff.

·
3,327 Posts
RAZRS EDGE said:
GTOinATL said:
I found the parts to be about $1060 from GM, and Speed Inc. would charge about $1600 to install everything including a ECU tune for the new upgrades. So for $2700 it should take the engine to about 350rwhp.
Its crazy that people charge the same amount if not more just to install. Thats why I'm glad to know a guy with a shop,that is fit for a Top Fuel Dragster, and do everything on my own :D But I would take it to someone for the ECU tune up. I won't touch that stuff.
Why waste the time and the money? There are still 10 of these availible!! Add some HP!

·
Disaster
339 Posts
Warren said:
Why waste the time and the money? There are still 10 of these availible!! Add some HP!
HAHA....I saw that in another post. I can't believe they are serious. If I saw a car with that on there, I would just walk up to the person and slap them in the face and turn back around haha :slap:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Warren said:

LOL. I think these guys "Get It" though. Quoted from the site:
""You've got groundeffects, You've got the wing! Now! take the next step with the POWER SCOOP!""

These things are designed with the 18-25 year old, rusty rice box driver.

Have a nice day

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Bottom End

Remember folks, GM says the Powdered Metal Rods in this motor are good up to 500HP, and they mean at the flywheel and with the stock limiter in place. Any more, or higher RPM is going to need an all forged bottom end, a really serious necessity for a blower motor, along with forged 8.5 blower slugs and floating pins to use 12-14 PSI boost. Please don't anyone grenade their baby.

:eek:

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
I wonder if you could pass the "visual" inspection, for emissions testing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts