LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got an invite from one of the big 4 car magazines who had rented Buttonwillow Raceway for the day to do some testing for an upcoming article (can’t say who the magazine is or what was tested). Took the opportunity to take the PFYC Banshee GTO out to do some testing on the prototype sway bars and the Eibach Springs. There were 4 cars there and about 8 people, 3 of which were photographers and one was the computer guy that handled all of the data acquisition from the vehicles so we had all the track time we wanted. I was impressed to see who they had driving, not some weekend warriors but professional drivers with impressive resumes. One of them was part of a team that had just placed in the top 10 at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona this past February. I’ve done plenty of competitive driving in my time and ridden with professional drivers who were instructing but to ride with pros who are racing for best lap time and pushing a car beyond its limits to see what those limits are is always far more than you ever imagined.

Unfortunately because we were testing prototype parts, we had to use stock tires and brakes. As some here have already found out, those are not at all suited for track duty (we’ll take care of both of those issues shortly). Anyway, towards the end of the day I offered to let the computer guy take the GTO out for a spin and I took a little video and a few stills. Here they are.

One lap video (7.45MB) http://www.pfyc.com/gto/buttonwillow1.wmv

Animated stills (1.33MB) http://www.pfyc.com/gto/buttonwillow_ani.gif

By the end of the day, heel//toe was getting easier but was still not as natural as it should be. I can’t wait for our new pedal setup to be ready. Overall, the GTO did pretty well. It is well balanced, forgiving with great track mannerisms and has great potential to be very competent on the track.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Looks very nice, Mike.
One of your hoods is on my wish list. Good to hear about the pedals. Hope the gasser is hinged at the floor. No need for the double pivot with cruise control.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Ani one is the same as the first one

·
Registered
464 Posts
I love the whine;)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
It looks like they shortened the track. I was there for Hotchkis day in May and the track looked a lot longer. Did they take 'Magic Mountian' out of the course. How fast did the car get up to in the straights?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JCMGTO said:
I love the whine ;)
I do too, I can't get enough of it. Now that CARB testing is behind us on the blower kit, we can install our intake. That'll make it scream like the Banshee it is. :D
mistermike said:
One of your hoods is on my wish list.
You'll love it. They have been selling very well and the feedback has been very positive. I'm looking forward to getting some pictures from people who have bought them. I want to see it on something other than yellow. It sure changes the whole look of the car.
BillyGoatGruff said:
It looks like they shortened the track. I was there for Hotchkis day in May and the track looked a lot longer. Did they take 'Magic Mountian' out of the course. How fast did the car get up to in the straights?
Buttonwillow can be configured numerous ways. On Thursday, we had it configured into two tracks. If you go to http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ and click on Track Maps in the left nav bar, then click on the map itself, it will give you a look at the different layouts. We used #17 on the east loop (which is what the video was shot on) and #23 on the west loop. The video starts coming out of Off Ramp and ends after exiting Sunrise. Top speed on the stretch between Off Ramp and Cotton Corners (called I-5) was 96mph.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
PFYC said:
You'll love it. They have been selling very well and the feedback has been very positive. I'm looking forward to getting some pictures from people who have bought them. I want to see it on something other than yellow. It sure changes the whole look of the car.
ok, so who here on the board has bought one already.? we need pics

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
PFYC - are there any plans to make a hood without ram air/scoops (I know that's what people are looking for but I'm really just looking for something lighter but styling-similar to the OEM hood)?

Also, have you sold more fiberglass or more CF hoods @ this point?

·
Registered
349 Posts
PFYC said:
By the end of the day, heel//toe was getting easier but was still not as natural as it should be. I can’t wait for our new pedal setup to be ready.
Details, please! Are you developing after market pedals that will help with heel/toe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts