LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question but does the phantom black paint has speckles in it to make it look metalic. I'm asking because I have only seen my own car and it has these speckles in it but the paint feels a little rough so I want to make sure it is not overspray on my car. I know it would be easy to just use the clay bar to test it but I am feeling lazy and just wanted to ask.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Phantom black is a metallic paint.

You should however claybar the car. You will be surprised how much crap comes off the car. Remember they were shipped a long way, by both boat and train, and collected tons of contaminants during their travels. Train transport is known to be bad for metal contaminants.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup, the Phantom Black Metalic has a gold flake or atleast thats what I can remember of mine. If its rough to the touch, it may be clay bar time. Hope this helps you.

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
Had mine clayed and coated... smooth as glass now...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
In the bright sun it is all sparkly...........
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
My car was so rough, I had to clay bar the car twice. The claybar was almost brown when I was finished. Now its smoothe as glass. Definitely worth the effort. Oh, don't forget to put on the Zaino after the clay bar..

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
I'm having my dealer clay detail my car tomorrow under warranty. The fallout on the pait was pretty nasty on delivery. GM should cover a claying if there is fallout on your car when you buy it. Save your elbows and have it done for you for free! :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
RedThunder said:
I'm having my dealer clay detail my car tomorrow under warranty. The fallout on the pait was pretty nasty on delivery. GM should cover a claying if there is fallout on your car when you buy it. Save your elbows and have it done for you for free! :D
what do you mean by fallout? I just picked mine up 3 weeks ago & havent washed or waxed it yet. The dealer must have put a simple wax on it because whenever it rains it beads off. So I dont really know if there was a problem with mine to begin with or not. But I did just order Zaino, so im waiting for that.

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
GTO4Ever said:
Had mine clayed and coated... smooth as glass now...

Just curious... how much did it cost to have your stock wheels chromed? They look really, really good. I can't afford new aftermarket wheels just yet but really like the chrome. Also, where would I look into getting it done? Thanks!

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Huntress said:
Phantom black is a metallic paint.

You should however claybar the car. You will be surprised how much crap comes off the car. Remember they were shipped a long way, by both boat and train, and collected tons of contaminants during their travels. Train transport is known to be bad for metal contaminants.
Yep known as rail dust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Every GTO needs to be clayed, trust me, follow it with zaino and the paint will look better than when you picked it up hands down.
Good luck
Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chadwick, the day I got my Yellow GTO I noticed that the paint was rough to the touch, so I took it back to the dealer. After a little arguing they deemed that there was no overspray on the windows and moldings, but only on the paint. This means it got there before the car got its windows and trim. They took two days to buff\clay bar it out, under warranty. They also found out that every other GTO on the lot had the same problem. Once they finished it, it looked fantastic. I would definalely recomend getting that looked at. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts