LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photo of my 18" Holden Monaro Wheels on the car (56k, grab a beer, come back later!)

CAUTION: LARGE PICTURE :D

Wheels are GREAT, tires are a bit too big for this application, I had to machine 3/16" spacers for the fronts and the right rear rubbed once, not sure if it'll happen again. A little fender rolling should be just what the doctor ordered.

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Those wheels don't look that much different than stock...:zzz:...or am I on crack?

How much was the set? Very clean car, BTW... :)

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Hard to reply to this thread because your pic is too big. I couldn't even find the reply box. We can't appreciate the look of the whole car because we have to scroll.

Here, I resized it for you. Just delete your pic so we can all read and post to this thread...

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well gee I figured you guys would be like me, dual 19" monitors and tons of big pics :) Thanks for the resize DG, now send me some nice avatars ROFL

And yes youre right, they are VERY close to stock, but the astute enthusiats seem to notice (as was the case today at the car show) but hopefully Mr. Law Enforcement wont notice since the bling will be under the hood in the form of a polished maggie :)

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
So, how much was the set? :)

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are about $250ish a wheel plus shipping from JHP and for an OEM 18" wheel thats a STEAL! I'm sure the same wheel here in the US from GM would be about $520 a piece from the dealer :)

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
2 things I like about these Holden wheels:

1. 18 inchers!!!!
2. Easier to clean than the stock flower petals.

I wish the stock wheels came as an 18 and not as a 17 inch wheel. I really like the stock design.

How much more do these wheels weigh? All I know is that the factory 17's weigh a ton!

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt weigh the wheels seperately (I know I suck, I'm sure Geoff at JHP can though :) ) however, the wheel/tire combo weighs 3lbs more each than the stockers. The handling was vastly improved as well (duh!)!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Maggie

GTOdriver7 said:
hey chris,
do you have the maggie yet?
Is that what we call Magnachargers now???

:gr_jest:

The only Maggie I know is Maggie Gylenhaal

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Look great Chris - glad I could help get them over there. Some people are saying that they look stock as if it is a negative, I reckon it is a big plus. Different enough to be different, simialr enough to only attract the attention of those in the know.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
desertgoat said:
Is that what we call Magnachargers now???

:gr_jest:

The only Maggie I know is Maggie Gylenhaal
DG if I had a polished version of her, I think you'd be over at my house by now heheh

Nope the Maggie ships out tomorrow hopefully with an install set for this weekend.

Izzsy, thanks again for your help its VERY much appreciated!

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
GTP,

What tire size are you using that would cause rubbing? If I get these rims i am planning on going with 245/40/18. The Monaros come stock with these rims and 235/40/18 tires. I am curious if 245's will rub. I have read the other wheel/tire threads and from what i have heard 245/40/18 are just fine. Thanks for your reply

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red, the 245/40-18 G-Force T/A KD's rub in two spots, both front struts rubbed (the right worse than the left) this location was fixed by making some 3/16" aluminum spacers. The rear just barely rubs on the fender lip during hard acceleration. The plant uses 235/40 to facilitate clearance to the strut as well as the fender. Wish I had figured that out sooner :)

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
GTP,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be going with the 235 size tires when i order up these rims from JHP next spring. Too bad to hear that the 245's rub. I am not a fan of using spacers. I guess the factory specs dont lie. They even list this tire size in our GTO manual if you read it carefully, they call it an "optional summer tire"

Thanks,

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not a fan of spacers either, but when I made these I balanced them out and I still have a full lug of thread engagement so I'm in the clear :) I'd go with 235's but if you have an auto you'll need the speedo and shift points revised.

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
Good thing i got a manual. Are there any adjustments that need to be made to the Speedo?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts