LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...if the pics are already on this site, I can't find them. I am very close to purchasing a GMM, just a little on the fence about whether or not to get the race or street version. I am really not too concerned about the extra noise (I've had to live with a rattling knob for a while anyways). What I am mainly curious about is how much shorter the race version is than stock (height not throw length). This will be a daily driver and I rest my hand on it, not too crazy about anything too low. Just wondering if anyone had a picture that I could use for reference as to the height of the race version (I understand the street is stock height). Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
There's no appreciable difference in shifter height between the race & street version. They shift identically once installed. The race version uses a 1-piece forged lever that transmits a wee bit of noise into the cabin, whereas the street version uses your stock "rubber filled" stick. If you're even remotely anal about noise, pay the extra $20 and get the street version.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I will add that if your transmission is somewhat noisey now, it will definitely be amplified by the race version.

The street version is certainly the strong recommendation when it comes to GTO's which are used as daily drivers.

There is no risk involved regarding a loud noise or not. Which you most likely will get with the race version. The street version is quieter than the race version.

We have both in stock and ready to ship from our U.S. distributor, regardless of which version of this great shifter you choose. Click here for pricing and to order.

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
stop whining about noise and drive the damn thing :wall: :stickpoke

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speeddemon said:
stop whining about noise and drive the damn thing :wall: :stickpoke
Like I said, I am not too concerned about the extra noise, I (for some reason) was under the impression that not only did the race version use less rubber insulation, but it was a bit shorter than the street version. If you are saying they are the same height, why does anyone bother with the race version if it is the same, just with amplified tranny noise?

·
05 Torrid Red Pontiac GT0 6MT
1,096 Posts
bvbull200 said:
If you are saying they are the same height, why does anyone bother with the race version if it is the same, just with amplified tranny noise?
1-piece forged lever v. stock "rubber filled" stick

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The other difference is the street version has a slightly easier install as you do not have to remove the stock knob as you are retaining the stock shifter shaft.

With the race version you will need to remove the stock shifter knob and re-install it on the the race shifter handle. Some people have been damaging the stock shifter knob and/or re-installing it incorrectly.

If you do a search you will see i have posted several times how to remove the stock knob and reinstall it correctly.

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
^
Basically true, although if you've been having rattles from the knob with your stock shifter it's best to R&R the knob while installing the street shifter instead of just swapping the lever/knob assembly over to the GMM. Mine rattled a bit but it wasn't that bad so I left it alone when I first installed the GMM street, but a few months later I finally decided to pull it back off and yank the knob to glue it on properly and silence it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Fox Mulder said:
^
Basically true, although if you've been having rattles from the knob with your stock shifter it's best to R&R the knob while installing the street shifter instead of just swapping the lever/knob assembly over to the GMM. Mine rattled a bit but it wasn't that bad so I left it alone when I first installed the GMM street, but a few months later I finally decided to pull it back off and yank the knob to glue it on properly and silence it.
In that case it probably is worth getting the Pontiac dealer to install/reinstall the knob under warranty first. A bit of a hassle, but if the knob gets damaged atleast they have to replace it.

I was mainly referring to the majority that do not have an issue with their shifter knob. Primarily because i have heard some instances where the knob has come off completely and i would not want to hear of anyone hurting themselves because of this.

So the street is just safer install option in the long run. However, for those willing and wanting to go the race, i hope that they take note of how to remove and install it correctly.

Regards,
Mathew.

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
Jeez... how bad can the race be... Oh I will find out!!!!

Balls out - shift with a stick not a noodle!!!!!

OUT

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
jaketuff said:
Jeez... how bad can the race be... Oh I will find out!!!!

Balls out - shift with a stick not a noodle!!!!!

OUT
LOL, it is not that bad. Australians have lived with the GM Holden knob for ages. Everyone in the U.S. is new to it in comparison and the general experience isn't there for most people.

When people install the race version, they have to install the stock shifter knob to the gmm race shifter shaft. When they remove and install the stock knob, 1 of the two mistakes appear to be commonly made.

1) Twist the stock knob during removal and damage/break the inside locator.
2) Do not remove the existing urethane and then add more on top of this, therfore not allowing the knob to actually sit down onto the shaft correctly.

As you can see it is not a problem with the product, just a problem that can occur with the install.

I hope this clears it up. ;)

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...it seems to me like the race version will be a bit stiffer, more solid assembly, so I think I will go that route. The guy that is going to help me with the install is very particular, as am I, so we will pay close attention to the knob removal and reinstallation. I'll try to tackle the rattling shifter at the same time.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
bvbull200 said:
Well...it seems to me like the race version will be a bit stiffer, more solid assembly, so I think I will go that route. The guy that is going to help me with the install is very particular, as am I, so we will pay close attention to the knob removal and reinstallation. I'll try to tackle the rattling shifter at the same time.
You are certainly correct that the race version is much stiffer. This is due to it's solid one piece shaft.

Both versions have their advantages.

Good luck with the install.

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coupe 4, I think its pretty cool that you offered some advice as a sponsor without the sales pitch. Haven't ordered yet, but I'll get it from you whenever I do order (should be pretty soon). Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well.

Anyone use their race version GMM for a daily driver?

·
Registered
88 Posts
bvbull200 said:
I would say lots of people.

I just put my Street in last night - good stuff, doesn't feel rubbery or soft to me at all - just a little notchier than I'd hoped for. I think I'm already getting used to it and I'm hoping the Royal Purple I do this weekend will smooth things out some.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
bvbull200 said:
Coupe 4, I think its pretty cool that you offered some advice as a sponsor without the sales pitch. Haven't ordered yet, but I'll get it from you whenever I do order (should be pretty soon). Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well.

Thanks bvbull200.

I hope the advice helped. :)

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed my Ripshift yesterday . I went with the street version because I wanted to use a Lou's short stick with a round Hurst knob . Definitely a little more noise and vibration in the knob than either stock or the JHP short throw shifter but not objectionable to me. I definitely think the street version is the way to go because it gives you so many options . Want some noise reduction and don't mind a long , high lever ? Use the stock one . Want a DIRECT connection with a shorter lever that's angled toward the driver ? Use a Lou's short stick with any 15mm 1.5 threaded knob you like (standard F-body knob ) Want a shorter lever with some noise isolation and the stock knob ? Buy the JHP short stick they sell for use with the stock shifter or their own stock style short throw shifter . :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
COUPE 4 said:
LOL, it is not that bad. Australians have lived with the GM Holden knob for ages. Everyone in the U.S. is new to it in comparison and the general experience isn't there for most people.

When people install the race version, they have to install the stock shifter knob to the gmm race shifter shaft. When they remove and install the stock knob, 1 of the two mistakes appear to be commonly made.

1) Twist the stock knob during removal and damage/break the inside locator.
2) Do not remove the existing urethane and then add more on top of this, therfore not allowing the knob to actually sit down onto the shaft correctly.

As you can see it is not a problem with the product, just a problem that can occur with the install.

I hope this clears it up. ;)

Regards,
Mathew.
I would add 1 more common install problem with the GMM (of any shifter). PPL are not using enough locktie on the bolts. You need to locktie the base bolts and the bolts holding the stick to the shifter. I know in my car I have the race and though I had a bent shifter fork. Wound up that the handle had come loose some and was shifting on the shifter (especially that 4-3 downshift). Fixed handle and all is well again. Originally only the nuts had locktie on them but when i re-installed it I locktied the whole bolt and it seems much better.

Another reason to get the race is that on the GMM it is possible to bend the handle. A local drag racer bent his race handle (tweeked it forward:p ). If it was the street version i think he would have broke it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts