LS1GTO Forums banner

Pics + 1 mpg from todays drag & Autocross

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  raybs 
#1 ·
Some pics from the event. If you didn't go you missed out big time, and I mean big time. It was hot as hell but Bob (NoConess) put on an awesome Autocross event. I had a blast as you can see below with me tearing it up!

http://slphawk.homestead.com/files/GTONATS/MOV00001.MPG

I then went drag racing and took home 2nd place out of 30 cars in my class. Best run of the day in 100 degree humid heat was 13.77 @ 102. I was happy considering this is my first track appearance with this car. Got my picture taken with Jim Wangers by High Performance Pontiac so who knows I might be famous! :bubbrub Oh if you see red X's that means all of you guys looking crashed the server!!!! Just check back later and they'll show back up.

Part 1

See less See more
#5 ·
I cant get it to play..........

#7 ·
They were ASA i believe.......

#8 ·
Autocross

It was a first time experience for me. Never pushed the GTO that hard on the curves. It was nice to almost lose control but then quickly get it back with a flip of the pedals. Took a while to get the hang of the course and know when to brake and accelerate. My tires have little chunks missing in the tread. 100 degrees and 90% humidity. It was hard to concentrate given the extreme heat. Bob Ploof was the best driver. A 95 Impala with some special road race tires had the fastest time that I could see. I was amazed but those tires look made for this. Mostly GTOs. A 70 Judge overheated. Great time. I should have dragged as well but I thought it was too late. A couple of 60s Goats did the course but made the body pitched and leaned.

#10 ·
GrazingPurpleGoat said:
It was a first time experience for me. Never pushed the GTO that hard on the curves. It was nice to almost lose control but then quickly get it back with a flip of the pedals. Took a while to get the hang of the course and know when to brake and accelerate. My tires have little chunks missing in the tread. 100 degrees and 90% humidity. It was hard to concentrate given the extreme heat. Bob Ploof was the best driver. A 95 Impala with some special road race tires had the fastest time that I could see. I was amazed but those tires look made for this. Mostly GTOs. A 70 Judge overheated. Great time. I should have dragged as well but I thought it was too late. A couple of 60s Goats did the course but made the body pitched and leaned.
Actually it was a 1969 Judge Automatic, with 14in 70 series tires, no rear sway bar, and only a posi to help with traction ... and once I got the Torque Converter cooled off I cracked off a 41.09 -- good enough for 2nd in the classic class. Its only 7 seconds behind Bob and about a million years of technology too! Most fun I had all meet! Shame more didn't come out -- missed the best fun all week!

#11 ·
That Judge was awsome to see and a great effort despite no sway bar. My 65 was set up a little better for the Autocross and I was happy to be "only" 4.8 seconds behind Bob - in there with the slower of the 04/05 cars (but well behind the average). The solid axle did bounce once or twice, but body roll wasn't too bad (lowered 1 1/2 in, big sway bars). It was more fun than the drags - my best was way off the pace and worse than Dave's (13.85/100, short shifting d2 vapor lock probs).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.