LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is! I have asked a lot of questions and gotten a lot of help, so thanks to everyone on this forum. I took a chance and did it all myself. I'm a complete newbie, so I just took my time and did a lot of research. I ended up spending about $1200 total. Here's the list.

Headunit: Pioneer Premier 880PRS
Amp: Directed 2205 5 channel
Components: Cliff Designs 60.4C (front and rear, left out tweeter in rear)
Subs: JBL GTO 10 inch DVC 4ohm
Powercap: Power Accoustic

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3422401
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3422400
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3422399

The pictures don't really do it justice. The headunit looks great. I wetsanded and polished the AI din kit, and it matches great. The subs are enclosed in boxes similar to bobthephotoguy's. After mounting the boxes I filled everything with Greatstuff foam, then trimmed it and went to town with Dynamat. Now that I have it all back together I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! Everything sounds so nice and clean. With the exception of the headunit and the amp in the trunk, everything is hidden. It honestly will go louder and hit harder than you can really stand inside the car.

The best part of all is the sense of satisfaction. Going into it without knowing anything about car audio and ending up with a really nice, clean, and in my opinion, a professional grade system.

What a crap load of work though. Because I did it all myself it took me probably 40 hours (several 2 am nights).

Oh yeah, got it all through Sonicelectronix.com. I called and they gave me substantially better than their Ebay pricing. Plus they claim warranty everything. Not through the manufacturers obviously. I'd recommend them. Excellent after purchase support.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congrats, man. You can be very proud!. That looks like an excellent job, especially for a first timer. I am impressed.

The Pio seems to be a really nice HU. Also has very powerful eq and sound processing as an option should you need it later on.

If I understand you correctly you used the 5th channel to power both subs?

What did you use to sand and polish the AI kit? It looks actually smoother than the stock material.

For the dynamat, why did you put it so that it basically plasters over the sub box? The idea of the dynamat is not really to be a sound barrier but to stop vibrations and deaden metal panels. The sound barrier effect is there but it is not the principal purpose in my understanding. Or did you just do that after you had already treated the metal behind the box?

In any case, this looks nice. Good job.

Till

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have really enjoyed that Pioneer H/U. It really gives you the ability to fine tune everything, so all I had to do with the amp was to set the gain appropriatly and everything else I could do from inside the car.

That amp runs both subs nicely. They are rated at 250w RMS, and the amp will push 600 x 1 at one ohm, RMS. I ran the subs in parallel, so I've got 300 watts going to each. They sound really good. I can turn the remote gain up and get way more bass than I need out of them without any distortion. Even though I'm a newbie to installs, I've heard some pretty sweet systems of buddies over the years, and I'm pleased with how this turned out.

The AI kit is smoother than stock. In my opinion it still looks better than the orange peel though. Under natural light you can hardly tell a difference. What I did was first, 400 grit down until it was smooth. Then 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, until all the scratches were gone. At that point it was very dull so I took bought some plastic polish from Checker which really brought the black back out. If you have one of these kits and aren't happy with it, I'd recommend it.

As far as the dynamat goes. I put it against the body panel first before I installed the box and filled it with Great Stuff. I put it over the box because I wanted to push airwaves into the car. If you've had yours apart before, you'll know that there is a lot of airspace going back to the trunk. When the side panel covers up the sub there really isn't a lot of breathing room into the cabin, and without anything plugging up holes, there is more breathing room leading back to the trunk. I can't prove whether it made a difference, but it seemed logical to me, and I'm glad I did it. Very clean, hard hitting bass, and no rattles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, the internal amp on the headunit can be turned off, which is great. Doing that made an audible difference in clearity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts