3,526 Posts
Just a little :p

·
You build it, I break it!
4,621 Posts

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
What wide body kit is that? tires/susp/brake set up?
Hi BoostedLT5,

Thanks for chiming in. Read several threads where you were able to provide information for others.

The body is not a kit. Complete custom:

Tires are Nitto NT01: 315 front / 335 rear

Suspension is largely Pedders Track II Extreme:
With repairs from from Whiteline

Brakes are 14" crossdrilled Brembo up front with Brembo caliper and pads
Rear are crossdrilled Brembo rotors and Brembo pads with stock GTO calipers.

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
Couple more links on the Pedders suspension:

·
4,621 Posts
Very cool man! I have been road racing mine for the past few years after drag racing lost its luster! I am on 255/275 Hoosier R7's. BC Coil overs up front, QA1's rear with the gforce coil over kit. All poly bushings, hotchkis sways etc. My biggest issue is brakes and tires right now. I am chewing through stock rotors like they are going out of style and tires aren't doing much better!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very cool man! I have been road racing mine for the past few years after drag racing lost its luster! I am on 255/275 Hoosier R7's. BC Coil overs up front, QA1's rear with the gforce coil over kit. All poly bushings, hotchkis sways etc. My biggest issue is brakes and tires right now. I am chewing through stock rotors like they are going out of style and tires aren't doing much better!
Have you got some ducting running to the rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GR-RRR!
5,652 Posts
Didja win all those races? Looks like you came out of the hole better than everyone else!

·
Yes my name is Holden
504 Posts
Greetings Rich & all; That was a good day, Hot 97* & July humility. I was only 71 then (2017), it's not easy to beat me out of the chute. Had 4 races that day 3 Hemi's (one hell cat & two 425 HP MoPar's) & the SS Camaro. 3 wins & I lost to the one that COST Twice as much! He wasn't particularly friendly after that run. Their was a whole group of newer MoPar's that day & they may have been also disappointed with their performance. But I also was un Impressed, weather. The last race of the day I ran a brand new (17) two door Hemi whatever, young guy probably his first new performance car? Well can you say "hole shot", 15.5 sec to my 13.1 & my car 12 years older with just shorty headers! If they open this year I hope to go down just to support the strip. Some of ya a that been readin' my posts know that a Re-Fresh is coming, but later summer. So if it's open & I go it will be same car- parts as 17. Ole' Bob.
IMG_0342.JPG

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
Greetings Rich & all; That was a good day, Hot 97* & July humility. I was only 71 then (2017), it's not easy to beat me out of the chute. Had 4 races that day 3 Hemi's (one hell cat & two 425 HP MoPar's) & the SS Camaro. 3 wins & I lost to the one that COST Twice as much! He wasn't particularly friendly after that run. Their was a whole group of newer MoPar's that day & they may have been also disappointed with their performance. But I also was un Impressed, weather. The last race of the day I ran a brand new (17) two door Hemi whatever, young guy probably his first new performance car? Well can you say "hole shot", 15.5 sec to my 13.1 & my car 12 years older with just shorty headers! If they open this year I hope to go down just to support the strip. Some of ya a that been readin' my posts know that a Re-Fresh is coming, but later summer. So if it's open & I go it will be same car- parts as 17. Ole' Bob.
Thanks for the pix and write-up. Nice to beat some Hemi's.
Who needs one if you already beat one?

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
I will supply some basics on brakes. You will probably already know everything I am about to say below. So this might be for others on the forum.

Size matters. Bigger is better. Just getting better pads will not cut it for the track. I would go thru a brand new set of pads in one day.

Heat is the enemy. All brake are vented these days. So we need either drilled or slotted. Debatable which is better. I believe it is largely a misconception that drilled brake rotors will crack under extreme heat. With added size and additional vented cooling from the drill holes, they are not going to crack.

Brake cooling ducts are beneficial. Saw a kit for the GTO years ago. Have not looked into recently, since I no longer have any brake issues.

Around 75 to 80% of the braking is conducted in the front. So larger rotors and brake cooling ducts are far more important up front. But do not ignore the back either. They get hot too.

Brake fluid can boil in extreme heat. Brake fluids have two boiling temperatures: wet and dry. Wet is lower. Wet means water got into you brake fluid, which happens. Once your fluid has been boiled, then it needs to be completely flushed out. Otherwise the brake pedal will feel extremely mushy.

For specific brands, I recommend Brembo. They are up there with the best you can get for the street. But Brembo started putting their name on everything. So you see Brembo's stock on new performance cars. But they are not cross drilled or slotted. So not all Brembo's are created equal.

DBA is one of the most common. Saw another thread here recently will a GTO owner going thru DBA's almost as fast as stock.

Stop-Tech is one of the best bang for your buck, and common at the track. Cheaper than Brembo, they are love them or hate them. Cannot go wrong with a nice big set of either cross drilled or slotted Brembo's.

Baer is another performance brake manufacturer, common on show cars.

Hope this helps you or others.

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
How long does it take you to go thru a set on Hoosier slicks?

·
4,621 Posts
My Hoosiers lasted me a while actually, I think I made it through about 4 weekends, so 16 + Sessions if I remember correctly and there was still a good amount of life on the rear, but I corded the front right. For strictly cost reasons I went to Toyo RR's last year and burned through them in 2.5 days so I didn't save any money and they didn't work nearly as well. I haven't upgraded to the bigger brakes on my car as it works out to be about a 5k dollar proposition, two new sets of 18" wheels, dry tires, wet tires, plus the brakes themselves. I do have cooling ducts to the front. At this point I may just buy a dedicated track car, probably a miata, that will be much cheaper to run.

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
about a 5k dollar proposition, two new sets of 18" wheels, dry tires, wet tires, plus the brakes themselves
I do not know how you would keep all of the above under $5k. Quite possibly better off with dedicated track car Miata.

To my dismay, my own buddies try to get me to sell my GTO to buy a dedicated track car such as Miata...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I do not know how you would keep all of the above under $5k. Quite possibly better off with dedicated track car Miata.

To my dismay, my own buddies try to get me to sell my GTO to buy a dedicated track car such as Miata...
Miata would be cheaper to run, but having power is nice. Buying a stock c5 vette would be a good move if you could swing it

·
You wax...I'll race
128 Posts
Miata would be cheaper to run, but having power is nice. Buying a stock c5 vette would be a good move if you could swing it
I concur fully. Miatas are great. I will be honest: I get passed by souped Miatas every once in a while (...not often!). Yet I like (relatively) high hp vehicles. Learning a lightweight car with one-third the motor, trying to carry my speed to each and every corner would probably not be easy for me.

C5 is one of the best options:
1. Nice car stock
2. Older so cheaper (but not too old)
3. Possible mods are endless
4. Lighter than a GTO with better weight distribution and CoG

I am with you: Having a power is nice...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I concur fully. Miatas are great. I will be honest: I get passed by souped Miatas every once in a while (...not often!). Yet I like (relatively) high hp vehicles. Learning a lightweight car with one-third the motor, trying to carry my speed to each and every corner would probably not be easy for me.

C5 is one of the best options:
1. Nice car stock
2. Older so cheaper (but not too old)
3. Possible mods are endless
4. Lighter than a GTO with better weight distribution and CoG

I am with you: Having a power is nice...
Yeah i was tracking a 92 integra with a motor swap which was fun, i could gain on the higher hp cars in the corners but theyd walk away in the straight if i didnt gain the distance.

441 - 460 of 481 Posts