LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the GTO yesterday afternoon - for the most part great/well engineered car - a few quirks, but what car doesn't have them. I will post once I get the camera up and running (rechargable batteries went dead).

As an aside - car - per vin plate was built 9/3 - it had to be close to the front.

Now for the reason of this thread.

One of the more interesting issues that came up when I took possession was the "Pink Dots" on the rims and tires. Apparently, our bretheren in OZ put a dab of pink paint/nail polish on the rim to indicate where weights go during balancing (at least this is the reason I was told). In any event - GM has issued a notice to dealers to tell the car owners not remove the dots themselves from the rims (tires okay). GM is trying to figure out a way to remove them without damaging the wheels. I figure if anyone asks about them when they see the car - I will claim that the dots are really a new Pontiac Badge availible only on the GTO and are the secret reason the car is so fast. Glad I got Black - since pink does not seem to clash with it.

Beyond the above - the only real issues relate to

1) the a strange maxing out on the temperature side once when I was pulling out of a dinner (sat for 1/2 hour or so) - the temp went back down as I was pulling over and stayed there the rest of the night. I figure either a sensor or possibly some air in the system caused the pump to cavitate - either way it will be checked.

2) the low beam distance is awful - this has been discussed before and I agree with the comments that they represent a hazard. The fogs help a little but not much. May be adjustment will help - will try and see.

3) it is tough getting into the back seats - they should have had a quick release to move the front seats. Worry's me a little about getting out after an accident if speed was required.

Can't wait until this thing is broken in.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Thanks for the info. BTW I see pink dots all the time...
:drink: :drink:

·
DOG
626 Posts
You mean pink elephants right?

BTW the pink dots came right off my rims with a little black magic tire magic. These rims suck brake dust to them, its going to be an ongoing battle keeping them pristine.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You beat me to the elephant comment - but we have to be kind to Tails given his affliction.

I would try the the Black Tire Magic - but I forgot to post the fact that GM in it's notice was stating that the finish warranty on the wheels would be void if the dots were removed by other then the dealer and they could trace back the damage to their removal. Don't want to give them any reason to deny and otherwise solid claim.

Besides - I like the idea of calling them racing dots for the time being.

Other then the above - how do you like the car so far? You have had more seat time then me.

·
DOG
626 Posts
rushhour said:
Other then the above - how do you like the car so far? You have had more seat time then me.
It is unreal. Its power is awesome. The best way to describe it is this

Its exterior is muted, its stealth. It looks like a car that could have a 4 banger and FWD. Now is that bad? No, because sporty 4 bangers have sold for a while (Grand Am, Cavaliers etc). I really enjoy the fact that this car's exterior basically says "I could be quick, you wanna try?" versus something that screamed "I've got 350 ponies muhahahahhaa!". Its really no different then in 64 when that tempest rolled up next to you (no I wasn't alive in 64, I'm imagining) and before you knew it all you could see what the cloud of dust and tire smoke and sat there saying "What the hell was that".

Its interior is rugged yet refined. I personally don't have any issues with the climate control knobs or anything. They are rugged, yet very usable and simple to use. No offense to those who prefer something else, but I don't want to be playing with climate control when humming along at 90mph. If I want it warmer, I lift my right hand off the stick to the knob and yank it.

The seats are the most COMFORTABLE things GM has ever made. The support is superb especially when cornering hard. I haven't pushed the cornering to its limit yet, but so far I'm barely moving. The rest of the interior follows this pattern. The only thing I don't like is the leather/plastic/aluminum/alcantra (or whatever it is). Its not that it doesn't look good, its that there are 4 different surfaces requiring 4 different cleaning techniques. Its going to be more work then not. Of course, the interior still looks amazing and once I get the hang of keeping it clean, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Fit and finish is perfect. There is nothing that is even slightly misaligned. The trunk and hood and glove box all take some force to close and close with a nice thunk. Definitely solid.

The powertrain is brutal, nothing but brutal. It screams use me, abuse me, and I'll come back and take you for another ride. Breaking the tires loose around corners is so easy that its almost harder to NOT do it. It is truly an awesome powertrain.

Ride is solid, to stiff. There is no flexing under power and it crosses railroad tracks with a smooth thud, even at speed. Its about as perfect as it could get in my book.

Finally, the seating position is great. It feels VERY VERY high and not low slung like the f-bodys and vettes. The result is that at 95-105 you feel like you're doing 55. I've hit the overspeed alarm (set at 90) so many times where I've said "I can't be doing 90" that its scary.

All in all, the car is amazing. The exterior is cake to clean with no hidden nooks or anything except in the rims. The interior is the best Pontiac has ever had their name put on. Outside of the pain to clean, its got nothing going against it. The stereo is solid, not top notch, but definitely second tier and far better than that AC/Delco crap. Overall this car is about a 9.2/10 in my book. Seriously the only car I've ever been in that is a better powerfull 4 seater is the M5.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rushour - congrats on getting your car. I agree with the comments you and tiggerfan made. The car is awesome. I especially like the instrument panel at night (except that annoying MPH light). The headlights are a problem as you noted.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good Tiggerfan

I agreee 100% on the seat issue - incredibly comfortable and the torque on this car is awesome.

I am going take the car for a "private" spin (no family members to distract me) tonight after I get home from work. This will allow me to get a handle on it.

Pontiac - just called - they think the temperature jump (maxing out) I saw last night was just a sensor or as I thought air cavitating the pump - in any event they want to see the car to make sure. Told them unless it happens again - I will bring it in next week - I want some quality time first with the car.

Also - forgot to post a funny story yesterday while we were driving around town. We were stopped at a light several cars back and a local cop was sitting up on the corner with his radar gun, as we are driving past my son yells to me - hey dad take a look over at the cop - he is staring at your car. We roll through the light and my son turns around and says - dad you are not going to believe this - but the cop has not taken his eyes off the car. It had to be the exhaust note - since it was starting to get dark and with a black car the badging probably was not very visible. Probably thinking to himself - what the hell was that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The car's computer will retain any alarm from a sensor. These are hit and miss in manufacturing. My missus' car had to have one replaced under warranty that kept telling us the coolant reservoir was low when the car was parked on a slope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts