LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am having a lot of trouble getting my pioneer avic d2 installed into my 06 gto. The navi is brand new from pioneer. I also got the double din kit from chim chim. Wherever I go, I keep hearing different sotries. Today i went to two different best buy's and one told me that i would have to get the keys to remove the radio from the dealer, and the other told me that he has they keys but...once he does the install, my CEL, airbag light etc are all going to come on since the stock radio is wired into the computer. He told me that i would have to get a harness, a bypass (to bypass all the things that would cause the CEL etc to come on), and an antena adapter. He told me that the harness is like $115, install is $200 and w/e other bypass crap I have to get. No one else told me about the CEL or other problems such as this that would happen when I installed the navi. Has anyone installed a nav/dvd player in their gto and what did you have to get/do to get it installed. If i get the dealer to remove the stock radio for me can I do the rest myself or am i going to have to splice wires etc?
I need as much info as possible becacuse I keep hearing different stories. Some guy even told me that I have an upgraded radio as compared to the regular gto radio or the gto radio with navigation....I was like "i am pretty sure this car comes with one radio only" but he insisted that I had the advanced radio that would need a lot more than a navi/dvd and double din kit to do.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
common someone has to have done this...

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
1. Don't go to Best Buy
2. Other GM cars have their radios wired into the computer and need the bypass and all that other BS. Not the GTO.
3. You will need a VW antenna adaptor and a VW wiring harness. It should not be more than $30 or so for the two of them.
4. The radio keys are not that hard to find. They're pretty much the same as the Ford keys, and you don't get them from the dealer

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I was you I would go back to all those people and smack them in the face twice in each cheek, especially the guy who told you have a special upgraded radio.

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
IMO, all chain store stereo clerks know is that you need to spend more money. Hell, even my local award winning shop, refused to believe what i told them about my vehicle, to the point they denied there being an 04-06 gto. Its not in the book. its a g6, i had one in here last week. there are no rear deck subs, the sub is in a plastic box in the trunk. PITA to get out. even after seeing the car, and the subs, all i got was well, they must have changed them from 05 to 06, and putting gto badges on a g6 doesnt change what it is. then i was accused of a motor swap. anyway, rant over. yes this is a wierd gm car, if they dont know what they are doing, walk, no , run away.

·
Goat rules!
168 Posts
I agree with ya!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks a lot guys!

·
12sec club
356 Posts
I just installed my Avic-D2 last weekend. Let me know if you need help with any questions. It fit in there perfect. Still have to get with ChimChim though

·
12sec club
356 Posts

here are some pics of mine

·
12sec club
356 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that looks pretty good, I like the background. PMed you by the way..

·
Registered
690 Posts
chim chim, is that the dash trim guy for the radio?
im planning on buying a avid-d2 in like 4 days.... just wanted to make sure!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why do a HU on a GTO for 29.99 or do 5 honda civics in the same amount of time and make mo' money?

When I did installs, our manager told us to always give easy cars priority over more difficult ones. Crappy, one of the reasons I left.

·
Double Din Man
256 Posts
chim chim, is that the dash trim guy for the radio?
im planning on buying a avid-d2 in like 4 days.... just wanted to make sure!
PM me

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have worked at Best Buy for 3 years as an installer, that guy was just being a lazy azz. There are over 10 tips on our system about every aspect of the gto, which he is supposed to check if he has never worked on the car. Sorry you had a bad experience!

Fireman, does the metal brace fit correctly? or did you make a bracket to make it fit? How you have it installed, it seems it would be much easier to make a cover for the exposed area than to fab a complete "kit" with the iso mounts...

·
12sec club
356 Posts
I have worked at Best Buy for 3 years as an installer, that guy was just being a lazy azz. There are over 10 tips on our system about every aspect of the gto, which he is supposed to check if he has never worked on the car. Sorry you had a bad experience!

Fireman, does the metal brace fit correctly? or did you make a bracket to make it fit? How you have it installed, it seems it would be much easier to make a cover for the exposed area than to fab a complete "kit" with the iso mounts...

No, everything fit perfect. Just slide in there. I do not have it mounted in there though. I put in the ChimChim adapter and it just slide in under the stereo. But i had to break off the locking tabs on the adapter to get it to fit flush with the stereo and trim. Once i get some pics i will post some.

·
12sec club
356 Posts
No, everything fit perfect. Just slide in there. I do not have it mounted in there though. I put in the ChimChim adapter and it just slide in under the stereo. But i had to break off the locking tabs on the adapter to get it to fit flush with the stereo and trim. Once i get some pics i will post some.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3751944

here is a link of a pic of my stereo with the ChimChim adapter.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
dude,that looks sick......I want one.....where can I get one? and is it a bankbuster?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used a harness from Schosche bought at Best buy. VW01 is the part number. No problem puting my stereo in. Not a Pioneer but still a Dbl Din.
Need an Antenna adapter also. The morons tried to tell me that all GM cars need some 115.00 thingy for the door chime crap. Don't need it since theres no chime!
Paul

·
12sec club
356 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts