LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that you all know a bit more about Australia, a few member have shown interest in coming and visiting our great land. A couple of people have asked me what to come and see.

I thought it would be good to get a few Aussies to let everyone know what they reckon the best things to see are, and maybe some Americans who have been here could chip in as well.

What to see really depends in what you are interested in, but here are a few ideas from my neck of the woods (the state of Victoria):

1. Drive the Great Ocean Road
2. Visit the Fairy Penguin Parade at Phillip Island
3. Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix (March)
4. Phillip Island MotoGP (October)
5. Tour the HSV factory in Clayton
6. Surf at Bells Beach
7. Visit the Yarra Valley wine region

There are 6 other states and territories in Australia, and it is about the same size as the US, so there is a lot of ground to cover. Maybe some of the other Australian members can give a list of whats best in their states.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
isszy said:
Now that you all know a bit more about Australia, a few member have shown interest in coming and visiting our great land. A couple of people have asked me what to come and see.

I thought it would be good to get a few Aussies to let everyone know what they reckon the best things to see are, and maybe some Americans who have been here could chip in as well.

What to see really depends in what you are interested in, but here are a few ideas from my neck of the woods (the state of Victoria):

1. Drive the Great Ocean Road
2. Visit the Fairy Penguin Parade at Phillip Island
3. Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix (March)
4. Phillip Island MotoGP (October)
5. Tour the HSV factory in Clayton
6. Surf at Bells Beach

There are 6 other states and territories in Australia, and it is about the same size as the US, so there is a lot of ground to cover. Maybe some of the other Australian members can give a list of whats best in their states.
I already told you that Jean and I were going to pay you to be our guide when we we come in 06 for Three weeks

·
Registered
761 Posts
NEW SOUTH WALES

Yeh, depends what your interested in- nature or nightlife, thats what it boils down to.

A tour of Sydney is worthy of a list in itself with all the harbour cruises and sights to see etc.

Blue mountains- you can take the tourist rout with the wentworth falls and 3 sisters or somthing secluded like peirces pass in Grose Gorge- but careful no railings on THOSE cliffs! The Old Bells Line Of road is a good drive to the west of Sydney.

Bathurst- if your a motor racing enthusiast come during the Bathurst 1000.

Royal National park is a great drive to the south of Sydney- keep driving down to Jervis bay for some of the best Diving spots in NSW- Doesnt compare with Queensland tho...

Likewise the Old Pacific highway to the noth of Sydney is a great drive- used by a lot of enthusiasts. Stop by in Pie in the Sky for the best pie in the world.

Keep driving north to the Hunter Valley if your a wine and cheese freak.

All these places are within 200km radius of Sydney and so its all nearby- NSW is a big state so theres a hellova lot more to see, from the snowy mountains to the south to outback towns in the west to rainforests in the north!

Ive done the tour guide thing a few times for overseas visitor friends and I always end up seeing somthing new:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Man, one of these years I'm gonna make a trip down under.. Been wanting to visit for YEARS. I'm betting if I ever moved out of the great USA, it'd be to move down there :) I'd have to bring my left-hand-drive cars with me though, just too weird to shift with the left hand.

·
Registered
244 Posts
South Australia - Kangaroo Island with all its marine life, Coonawarra (red) Wine District, the McLaren Vale and Barossa Valley Wine regions, the Flinders Ranges with all their varying colours, Coober Pedy and Andamooka Opal Fields, and Port Lincoln and the Great Australian Bight (Tuna fishing and the Southern Wright Whales sanctuary)
PLUS, the home of Cooper's Sparkling Ale - the drink that puts hair on your chest!!!

Mike

·
2002 Phantom HSV GTO
39 Posts
Brains said:
Man, one of these years I'm gonna make a trip down under.. Been wanting to visit for YEARS. I'm betting if I ever moved out of the great USA, it'd be to move down there :) I'd have to bring my left-hand-drive cars with me though, just too weird to shift with the left hand.
dont worry it feels like someone else is doing it :sneaky:

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so you can get your bearings, here is a map of Australia :

To give you some perspective, imagine that all states including and to the west of Colorado were one state - that is how big Western Australia is. All that space and it has a population of just under 2,000,000.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Everyone has failed to mention Ayres Rock and Tasmania. I would like to also see part of that little thing everyone calls the kiwi island or New Zealand. Just food for thought is all.

·
ya im french what of it !
800 Posts
shoot izzsy if i come there to see my sister you better come and meet us or i will let the air out of your tires..........and spill beer on your car lol ...ill think of something more to....then ill sick lilgto on ya ..

oh ya PS
make sure u ditch holeshot in the out back when he comes there LOL

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just don't spill beer IN my car.

Tasmania - great roads, beautiful scenery, 20 years behind the rest of the country...
Also has the claim to fame of it's shape being similar to a feature of the female body - there are tshirt and g-string set available with a map of the rest of Australia on the shirt and Tasmania on the front of the g-string...

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BillyGoatGruff said:
Everyone has failed to mention Ayres Rock and Tasmania. I would like to also see part of that little thing everyone calls the kiwi island or New Zealand. Just food for thought is all.
New Zealand is spectacular. Douglas Adams, who wrote hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, said something along the lines of 'the scenery makes you want to burst into spontaneous applause' .

·
Registered
202 Posts
youve all forgotten the northern territory "no" open road speed limits, you rent a v8 and you could sit on 140mph for as long as your adrenalin lasts. Theres nothing quite like overtaking a cop thats cruising on 100mph, and waving. mmmmmmmmmm

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
I enjoyed my stay in Sydney a month ago, but I would also like to visit New Zealand on my next trip down, and there WILL be another trip down. I even met many lovely young ladies on my nights out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is all this crap!! All this chatter about visiting australia and no one mentions the beaches!! the beautiful white sandy beaches of the greatest state of all... QUEENSLAND!!! not just the beaches, lets not forget the barrier reef, the big pineapple, the big cow, the giant drop, the bundy rum distillery, cane toads, all that sugar, the tropical rainforest and of cause.....steve urwin

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:
Tassie is one of my favorites, just visit there in the summer. If your planning a trip go there when the boats are in for the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Lots of festivities on at that time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts