LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Recently I made my own fuel pump speed controller using an arduino board and h-bridge.

Now I am in the planning stage to make my own remote start using a arduino board connected to a Bluetooth module and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Now I understand that in order to keep my stock security system I will need to sacrifice a key fob, which is perfect since my battery on my 3rd key is dead anyway. Based on my research it looks like I just need to solder the key blade portion to the ignition ground, key nub portion to the other ignition wire with a relay which when activated by arduino via remote start will bypass the security system.
I believe I read on another forum that you can access both these wires under the column.

Now, how would I go about staring the car after? I assume I would need to add another relay to make a connection to start the car? Would this be a temporary connection just during the cranking or would in need to be permanent? Also how would I go about turning off the car remotely?

I looked up quite a bit of remote start install threads but they don't really go into much detail about how everything works. Since i'm going to make my own I need to know more info on the exact behavior of the ignition electrical system/how a remote start interacts with the system.

Also I read on another old forum someone stating "One good thing about GTO’s is that it has a safety remote wire that you can connect to your alarm/starter that prevents the car to start in the gear."

That's all that was mentioned about that wire and I was wondering if anyone new more about this mystery wire? My car is a manual but I never leave my car in gear anyway, never had an issue and I have owned this car for over 6 years. Figured I would do it right anyway if I could just in case.

Also I don't care about having to put the key in the ignition after remote start in order to drive. Doors will be locked and this will only be used at home during cold weather. Don't think anyone will bash my windows and steal my car within those 10 min. Plus if I ever have the famous ignition lock cylinder issue this will come in handy for an emergency.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of cannibalizing a key, why not have VATS tuned out in order to simplify the process? Cool project though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're going to go through the trouble of cannibalizing a key, why not have VATS tuned out in order to simplify the process? Cool project though.
Cause I want to keep my security security system for my ignition so my car is harder to steal. I understand wiring a key in the car makes it easier as well but if you place it in a hard/time consuming place to get to I doubt anyone is going to steal it by hot wiring it vs. towing it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still planning on doing this and I have a pretty clear picture how to do everything now.
I'm going to also put a pad heater around my post pump metal fuel filter that will warm up the fuel for a couple minutes before starting the engine if fuel temperature is below 70 degrees to help with e85 cold starts. The heater I have in mind uses 12 volts and pulls 10 amps so I don't want to run it for a long time. I've started to test some modules already starting with a Bluetooth module but the range was subpar. My goal is to be able to start my car from my room if sitting in the street in front of my house. I plan on just starting with the heating function of the system first and go from there. I have another module on the way and will test the range shortly.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
297 Posts
ive seen some pretty cool stuff people have done by watching YouTube, one guy managed to incorporate a RFID tag for security, but he did it on a civic. ive been thinking about working on something like this but I have zero knowledge when it comes to the arduinos or pi's. when I was thinking about it I was thinking about a remote kill switch, and camera and a tracking incorporated in it...maybe an ejection seat while im at it lol. good luck with it and keep posting, im really interested in this. hell, id even buy one from you

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can cannibalize the key, but in your final design just create a PCB. You could make it tiny, compared to an arduino haha. There was a remote start kit that came out for the GTO a while back. Python I think. You could look up how to wire that and make something similar.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive seen some pretty cool stuff people have done by watching YouTube, one guy managed to incorporate a RFID tag for security, but he did it on a civic. ive been thinking about working on something like this but I have zero knowledge when it comes to the arduinos or pi's. when I was thinking about it I was thinking about a remote kill switch, and camera and a tracking incorporated in it...maybe an ejection seat while im at it lol. good luck with it and keep posting, im really interested in this. hell, id even buy one from you
The arduino boards aren't to difficult to program once you get into it a little. There are a lot of example schmatics given to you and if your trying to come up with something pretty basic you can take these examples as a starting point and modify the code a little to work for you. There is also a arduino simulator somewhere online where you can wire your own circuit and upload your code to see if it works the way you intend it to. The only thing I don't like about them is that the pins don't supply enough power to trigger a relay. You have to use a npn transistor to act as a mini relay to power a bigger relay lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I tested the Esp8266 module. It has its own micro-controller with a wifi chip installed. Its compatible with arduino code though. With it in my trunk I could only connect to it when I was near my front door. However it can act as both a wifi access point and connect to a wifi router. So I put a extra wireless router in one of the front bedrooms near my car and had the esp8266 connect to it. Now I can either connect directly to the module or my wifi router in order to control it. once connected I just type the ip address of the device in a internet browser and it takes me to my own html webserver.
Screenshot_2020-01-27-16-40-43.png
I have most of the code ready, I just have to fine tune it so the heater runs for 2 min. Only and then activates the engine and the engine runs for 10 min. Max before turning off.
I'll make it so I have the option to run the heater before starting or just start the engine immediately depending on the weather.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can cannibalize the key, but in your final design just create a PCB. You could make it tiny, compared to an arduino haha. There was a remote start kit that came out for the GTO a while back. Python I think. You could look up how to wire that and make something similar.
I'll probably just use a arduino nano that once powered via wifi board will start the startup functions. I imagine the key ignition is just a switch that activates a few relays. Acc on, power on, starter relay. So, I would just have to supply power to activate the relays and power the starter relay until the engine starts by reading the tachometer wire and limit cranks by 5 seconds at a time max in case of a stubborn cold start.
I will have to look further into that and look for any complications when it gets closer to that time. Thanks for the advice about the python, I'll have to look into that.
Wiring an extra key into the car looks pretty straight forward and there is a lot of info on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought a heating pad on amazon.
It will be here on wed. Hopefully it will help my e85 cold starts. I'll wire it up as soon as I can and see if it helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the heating pad and I did a quick temporary install last night putting it around my fuel filter. The heating pad gets hot really fast and it gets much hotter than I anticipated. It is advertised as reaching about 400f. It has a built in thermistor which gives me the ability to wire it into the micro-controller in order to read the temperature which allows me to manage it. My fuel filter is a Aem 25-201BK which is made out of anodized 6061-T6 aluminum. I looked up the temperature rating of that material and found a lot of conflicting answers, many seem to suggest that at around 300f anodized aluminum has the tendency to crack. I called Aem and spoke with a tech representative and he couldn't really give me a clear answer which I kinda expected as it is a rather unique question. He did say he would be more worried about the internal rubber seals failing at the ends.
I tested the heating pad this morning, I only ran it for 3 min. after learning the above and it didn't seem to help my car turn over any easier. Still took 2 cranks however, it was 49f outside which is a little colder than usual.
So now I'm not quite sure what I want to do with this heating pad. I plan on relocating my fuel pumps soon since they are currently occupying my spare tire compartment. I have about $100 in fittings and fuel hose that I bought a while ago so I could relocate them to inside my fuel tank in order to get rid of the loud whining noise from the pumps but since I made my own speed controller that's no longer a problem. I was thinking about moving them somewhere under the car or next to the fuel tank. I was debating getting a small cheap surge tank while I'm at it and putting the heating pad on that or I could put the pad on the oil pan to slightly warm up the oil before starting it. The car battery doesn't have near enough power to warm up the oil to the ideal temperature so If I go this route I could have the micro-controller read the voltage from the battery and automatically turn off the heater once the voltage drops below a certain amount(After all every bit helps). Later in the future I can have the remote start activate at this point or after a set period of time.
Does anybody have any opinions regarding the heated oil pan option vs the heated surge tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts