LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, I’ve decided to join this very informative forum! This this is my first. I inherited my son 2006 GTO 6 speed after he passed away in a tragic accident in 2017. I haven’t find the courage to drive the car since, do to pain and heartache of loosing him. I’ve been wanting to do a performance top end build, I know it’s something that he wanted to do, and hopefully get some miles on it, the car was his pride and joy, my wife and I couldn’t never sell the car.
I called Texas speed last week and talked to a tech about what I wanted to do, here what he suggested
Texas PRC 237 heads $2500 not cheap!
Texas speed Torquer V4 231 cam
LS 7 lifters
Trunnions spring upgrade
13/4 headers
I’m gonna had the fast 102 mm intake
Upgrade the clutch
One pice driveshaft
Looking for somewhere of 450+ hp to the tires
What’s your guys suggestions on those parts choice. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
910 Posts
Seems like a good parts list. Head price is about average for a loaded setup.
Id consider some promaxx ls3 heads since you are gonna swap the intake manifold anyway.
If doing an off the self cam, id do a btr 4 over the v4 cam. Or do a custom as it isnt much more to have one spec'd out.
Also Id do an cai or some kind, but even keeping the stock air box, 450 will be easily done on a stick car with just the top end and longtubes.

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
Make sure you do mid pipes and catback too with headers for best gains. Get better sticky tires. You should end up about 450 at wheels.

Reactions: Anthonymybelovedson

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
Maybe I missed it but you should upgrade throttle body and maf with fast 102 lsxr as well. Here is pic of my setup. I have 105mm Accufab TB and LPE 100mm maf. The intake temp senor is inside the MAF rather than outside or by intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
I wouldnt spend the money on a tb with stock cubes. I'd only do a maf if doing an cai that can swap to a ls3/7 card style.

I wouldnt worry about street manners with a cam like that. Really isnt that big. And being a stick car its even easier. Can always go smaller or a looser lsa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I missed it but you should upgrade throttle body and maf with fast 102 lsxr as well. Here is pic of my setup. I have 105mm Accufab TB and LPE 100mm maf. The intake temp senor is inside the MAF rather than outside or by intake.
Yep, I was planning on fast 102 mm intake also 👍

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
447 Posts
Here's my $.02, but first,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Time really doesn't do much, other than to dull the pain. My DEEPEST sympathies go out to you and your family. I'm glad you are taking the time to work on his car....and what GREAT cars these are! I don't know if you know much about this platform, but once you drive this thing, you're going to get hooked. These Aussie built Pontiacs are TRUELY awesome cars!

...rare as heck, but awesome!

Before you start modding, make sure you keep all the original parts. You never know when and if you'll want to go back to stock!!!

• A FAST 102 definitely looks cool, but everyone has that. I'll admit - I wanted one before I boosted mine!
  • A ported TB or similar will still work. If you're set on that intake, I'd do a matching TB. I'd guess this is something your son would have wanted to do himself.
  • Instead of $2500 heads, I'd look for a set of LS3 heads. They are cheaper than the ones they are quoting and flow a TON better than the original 243's that came on the car.

Here are the casting numbers with chamber area (in cubing centimeters)

373 / 873LQ471 cc
364 / 716 / 823L92 / LS368 cc
452LS770 cc

• A set of headers. I have JBA longies w/ hi-flow mids...but (again) I'm boosted. I did have a set of JBA shortys and I loved the sound. I think I got a couple more h.p., but the sound was so much nicer. THEN, I got a new exhaust w/ and X-pipe. OMG!!! Totally new car at that point! If you go with a new exhaust (hghly recommended), you HAVE to get one with an X-pipe, or have one made for it. Trust me...this is the ONLY way to go!!!!
  • I don't know much about cams, but something will be needed if you do a head swap. You'll have GOBS of power waiting in the wings and the OEM cam will not know what to do with it. I'd do the car justice with a new cam. After that, a good tune and you'll be right around the 450 RWHP mark.

LASTLY....get a set of electric cutouts!!!
☝Tis is the best and most fun mod I've EVER done on any car!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
on a HCI setup go with 1 7/8 headers and a 3" exhaust. Throw a 102mm tb on that fast 102, do a LS3 card style maf and keep it all 4". Keep in mind your stock injectors are not going to keep up with a HCI setup safely. If you are in an area where E85 is prevalent I'd do a flex fuel setup. With these parts you should have no issue breaking 500whp.

Also don't order pushrods in advance, measure first and then order the proper length.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My son turns 8 today. This thread has me tearing up, as he loved my GTO and chides me for selling it. Dammit.

So sorry for your loss.
You can always get another GTO Brother, enjoy that boy of yours. These are the best years, they still love you they still respect you. My 13 yr old, even through everything I'm going through hasn't hit him yet, he thinks he's too cool for dad. The selfish phase is on hard 😂

1 - 18 of 18 Posts