LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size plugs we need for the GTO?

I am trying to find the Beru Silverstone plugs and I am not sure what size we need or even where to find them.

This is one place selling them and they list sizes like this?
Spark Plug 14mm, 3/4 Reach, Gasket, 13/16 Hex

Thanks for your help
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would the ones they list for a 2003 Corvette LS1 fit in ours?
this is the size they have for the vette.
14mm, 0.7 Reach, Tapered, 5/8 Hex
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
There are a bunch of threads talking about spark plugs. If you can find the stock plug in one of those threads, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and get the dimensions. I installed the NGK TR55 plugs and they are working. Try going to the NGK site and looking up its dimensions. Good luck!
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I need some professional help here......I found the details on the NGK TR55's they are listed like this
14mm, .708"(18mm) reach, 5/8" hex, tapered seat, resistor, projected tip, V-power (v-grooved center electrode), .059"gap
so I need to know what you guys think I found a place selling the Beru Silverstone plugs for the 03 Vette and they list the size of those as 14mm, 0.7 Reach, Tapered, 5/8 Hex.................SO my Question is would these Beru's fit? thanks guys
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally found the plugs and wires I wanted, I just ordered them. Hopefully the install wont be too difficult.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/nol1111810-2.html

I got the Silverstone plugs to go with the wires and I got blue wires since my goat is impulse blue. I am excited about getting them.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Well I finally found the plugs and wires I wanted, I just ordered them. Hopefully the install wont be too difficult.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/nol1111810-2.html

I got the Silverstone plugs to go with the wires and I got blue wires since my goat is impulse blue. I am excited about getting them.
I'd like to hear how the Nology wires work for you. Be sure to let us know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The plug spec'ed for the LS1 is a 41-985 AC Delco. Total plug length is 77.5mm, reach is 17.5 and gapped @ .040 < Critical >. GM part number is 12571164.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know it was alot of money but I think they are going to be real good. They just came in today. Can you guys tell me what I need to install? Should I put a small amount of the anti-seize stuff at the threads? I am going to go down to the auto parts store in a few minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I know it was alot of money but I think they are going to be real good. They just came in today. Can you guys tell me what I need to install? Should I put a small amount of the anti-seize stuff at the threads? I am going to go down to the auto parts store in a few minutes.
Let the motor be as cold as the ambient temp. Anti-seize is not a must. Just torque to spec and the plugs will come out in the future.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AmesGTO said:
I'd like to hear how the Nology wires work for you. Be sure to let us know.

So far after a day of normal driving I am getting at at least 3 miles per gallon more. With the current gas here in florida being $1.98/gal I will recoup my money. I was averaging 13-15 depending on how much fun I was having and now it is averaging 16-18mpg for stop and go driving no hwy measurements yet. I wish I could haave had it on the dyno before this but I plan on getting it done this weekend. It sure feels better with the new plugs/wires. I know to some people it seems like a good deal of money but we are driving 32k cars and I wanted the best. It was worth it to me.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
So far after a day of normal driving I am getting at at least 3 miles per gallon more. With the current gas here in florida being $1.98/gal I will recoup my money. I was averaging 13-15 depending on how much fun I was having and now it is averaging 16-18mpg for stop and go driving no hwy measurements yet. I wish I could haave had it on the dyno before this but I plan on getting it done this weekend. It sure feels better with the new plugs/wires. I know to some people it seems like a good deal of money but we are driving 32k cars and I wanted the best. It was worth it to me.
So what did you end up doing with the extra wire and the grounding wires?
 

·
Feynman fan
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
So far after a day of normal driving I am getting at at least 3 miles per gallon more. With the current gas here in florida being $1.98/gal I will recoup my money.
If this carries forward, you will recoop your expenditure in a little over 400 miles. Pretty reasonable ROI in my book. If would be really nice to see if you maintain this and also to hear whether others who have changed plugs are seeing genuine mileage improvements, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I thought you guys may have know about this already actually. I spoke to our importer/seller of Splitfire products about their plugs and leads etc etc. He informed me that Splitfire in the U.S. did a test on LS1's over there and found they were getting a 15-20rwhp increase by using their top of the line plugs and leads. I can honestly say that this appears to be true. I have not dyno'd my car or other customers car since I fitted them to my customers and mine but I can tell you that everyone including myself has noticed extra power and better fuel economy.

I'm not sure but there may even be something on the Splitfire website on this.
 

·
Feynman fan
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
I'd imagine that most of the "hot-rod" crowd are saying "well, no #$^@, Sherlock!" but I think a very large percentage of the new GTO buyers are not the people who have been buying Camaros, Firebirds, 'Vettes, Mustangs or any performance cars, foreign or domestic - or at least have not been driving fast cars for a number of years. Based on this forum, I'd say that more than half of the buyers haven't really been paying attention to performance modifications to the LS1 or any other engines over the last 10 years or so - I know that I really haven't. There was a time (many years ago), for instance, when I had practically memorized specs on Chevy's Rat and Mouse motors, but that was many brain cells ago! Be patient with us; some of us will come back "up to speed" rather quickly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
I'd imagine that most of the "hot-rod" crowd are saying "well, no #$^@, Sherlock!" but I think a very large percentage of the new GTO buyers are not the people who have been buying Camaros, Firebirds, 'Vettes, Mustangs or any performance cars, foreign or domestic - or at least have not been driving fast cars for a number of years. Based on this forum, I'd say that more than half of the buyers haven't really been paying attention to performance modifications to the LS1 or any other engines over the last 10 years or so - I know that I really haven't. There was a time (many years ago), for instance, when I had practically memorized specs on Chevy's Rat and Mouse motors, but that was many brain cells ago! Be patient with us; some of us will come back "up to speed" rather quickly...
I hope I didn't come across like I was offending anyone and I'm most certainly sorry if I did. I guess I'm use to you guys having the advantage on us Aussie LS1 owners as the LS1 has been around for many years in the U.S. and only just under 4 years over here.

Like I said sorry if that came across the wrong way.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Monaro Aussie said:
I hope I didn't come across like I was offending anyone and I'm most certainly sorry if I did. I guess I'm use to you guys having the advantage on us Aussie LS1 owners as the LS1 has been around for many years in the U.S. and only just under 4 years over here.

Like I said sorry if that came across the wrong way.
No offense taken here. That seems like a pretty large HP increase though. The only thing I have heard about splitfire plugs is that they are great for a couple thousand miles and then they crap out. Electricity is all about the path of least resistance.
 

·
Feynman fan
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
Certainly didn't offend me, if that's what you were thinking!!! And you are right, there are guys (and girls) here who know these engines intimately. I suspect, though, that a large part of the new GTO crowd never really gave it much thought until some time within the last year. Not all of us, certainly, but many of us are taking baby-steps right now. Some of us because it's all new to us and others because the details have changed since we last played the game. The principles haven't really changed but the hardware isn't quite the same as when my brother taught me to drive a stick. (I remember, after stalling his '69 Z-28 (with a big-block stuffed in it) a couple of times, I finally got it going and said "Wow! That's quick! (or something like that.)" He then had me stop, switch from third to first and start again. A whole different world!!! ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
Certainly didn't offend me, if that's what you were thinking!!! And you are right, there are guys (and girls) here who know these engines intimately. I suspect, though, that a large part of the new GTO crowd never really gave it much thought until some time within the last year. Not all of us, certainly, but many of us are taking baby-steps right now. Some of us because it's all new to us and others because the details have changed since we last played the game. The principles haven't really changed but the hardware isn't quite the same as when my brother taught me to drive a stick. (I remember, after stalling his '69 Z-28 (with a big-block stuffed in it) a couple of times, I finally got it going and said "Wow! That's quick! (or something like that.)" He then had me stop, switch from third to first and start again. A whole different world!!! ;) )
That's good then :). I have posted up some information that some might find handy if they wish to have the speed of a stealth bomber in your GTO's. Nothiing would make me happier then to see GTO owners laying down the performance law to blue oval products :D http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Monaro Aussie said:
I hope I didn't come across like I was offending anyone and I'm most certainly sorry if I did. I guess I'm use to you guys having the advantage on us Aussie LS1 owners as the LS1 has been around for many years in the U.S. and only just under 4 years over here.

Like I said sorry if that came across the wrong way.
If you've had the LS1 for four years, we've only had it three years longer than that. It was first introduced in the '97 Vette. Before that, it was still the same 350 small block that started life in 1955 as a 265 ci V8, although it went through many improvements over the years.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top