LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post up some of my project progress with my GTO. I have been planning this for a little while, and as some of you may know it is a slow process. It has finally started making some headway other than just cutting checks to get things started and discussing what my goals are and what the best set up for this and that.

A little history; I was going to go Maggie on my stock motor with doing heads and cam and be done. I had been saving money for that since I purchased the car. Well my grandfather passed the end of last year and my father moved in with my wife and I. My father has always been a car guy and inherited a little money from my grandfather and seeing how we helped him retire he offered to help me build a motor that I could add onto later and hopefully stay together even pushing higher horsepower #’s. I know this is probably more than anyone needs to know but that is how all of this has come about.

I have a friend that owns a race engine shop and he builds some pretty trick stuff for clients all over the world making some pretty big #. I talked with him and we decided to go with the LSX block. So he ordered one for me and he started working on the bottom end of things we are still working on all the specifics of the top end of the motor. I will be more specific later because I know some on here will want to know each and every detail and I don’t have that in front of me right now. It will be a 427 with Callies crank and rods and Diamond Pistons.

Knowing what I have in mind I wanted to get the car somewhat set up to go faster so with the help of Hardcore, we found a local guy that builds racecar chassis. We recruited him to put a 6 point cage in the car. I opted for removable door bars in mind. I was very happy with the way it turned out and is perfect for me. Even the wife said when we went to a cruise after I got it done (well the inside feels like a fast car now so lets make it that way). Gotta love her..

I know that my stock trans will not hold what I am trying to do so I was working on a trans that would take the abuse of the motor possibly with spray or boost later. Asked or should I say bugged a few of the guys on here about their Th400 and 4L60 trans and for me, car not being a daily driver and weighing out the options I went with the Th400. I have dealt with great sponsors from this site like Chris from Gforce (I am getting multiple parts from him great guy to deal with and very helpful) Greg from FTI (Met him in person yesterday when we picked up my Th400 /New stall / Flywheel/ and other parts needed to do my conversion.) Great guy also to deal with showed me around the shop was very helpful in my setup and knows my engine builder so those to came together about what should work best for me.

Then on to my fuel system: This is not the first toy that I have built so I do understand that it is the whole package that makes the car. Thus why I am going broke rather quickly. I called Lonnies Performance and talked with Lonnie and had him set me up with one of his twin pump set ups and everything for me to run bigger fuel line and a return line. My sender is on its way to him now. Another great guy to deal with, willing to let me talk his ear off a few nights in a row about what I needed and wanted to do.

I must say I have a partner in crime for all of this and it is Hardcore. He has been a major help so far in letting me run ideas by him and playing devils advocate in have you lost your mind I wouldn’t do that….Hardcore, Fossilblue32, and a friend of mine that drove 2 hours to help (Sorry he owns a New Challanger but also has a 1967 Chevy pickup longbed that has been redone). They helped me tear the car apart and I have been picking away at it since.

I will enclose the pics I have so far and will update things now as I go. I know some people play the secret squirrel card on their builds and I thought about going that way just because I could do all of this and maybe still only run in the 12’s but people on here have been very helpful to me and if others had not posted even their cages and other things they have done it would have made what I am doing much harder.

Car

Guages

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Roll Bar

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More roll Bar

Start of Tear down

Draining the Fuel Tank
Dr

Starting the pulling process Trans out already

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And More Pulling the Engine

Engine on stand

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On big empty Hole for now

Old 4l60E

New Th400

FTI Trans and Stall

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billet Flywheel from FTI

Pretty much everything else

Fuel Tank to get to Sender for Lonnies

Lots of room in Trunk Now

Friends cars that came to help Thanks to all

More to follow as I get things and we get things done...

·
HARDCORE since 1982
3,345 Posts
ok I'm confused..... no body told me nothing about no 427!
I thought we were installing a V6 to so we could get better gas mileage
I stand by my previous statement..

·
Compsognathus
3,048 Posts
Wow can't wait to see this done! Are you going to boost the 427?

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stand by my previous statement..
I should have know that you would be in denial

Wow can't wait to see this done! Are you going to boost the 427?
Thanks!!!Maybe in the far off future The motor is being built so I can run boost or spray. Any extra money I might have had for that has gone for supporting mods so hopefully I don't have to do anything twice. I just want to get it running with everything I have changed N/A see how she does and then work on that once this is good to go.

·
VANDALIZED
5,411 Posts
Great start on your build. Make sure that you keep us posted. My favorite part of the build so far ?............Everything..!

·
Spicey's Back In Town!
5,511 Posts
Have fun with the build Mike. I'll be :popcorn2: with great interest..............................................................................

Not quite sure why :confused: :gr_jest: J/K.

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great start on your build. Make sure that you keep us posted. My favorite part of the build so far ?............Everything..!
Thanks and will do...

Have fun with the build Mike. I'll be :popcorn2: with great interest..............................................................................

We will do our best hope the fun starts soon:confused: Got a lot to do!!!

Not quite sure why :confused: :gr_jest: J/K.

·
Is thIs rEd lIght BAD?
385 Posts
Anytime, I am in debt to you from storage, labor and food (lol), Thanks for everything you have done man, from the car and and evry thing else.

You just have to have it done, aor at least befor Oct, I want to see that badass 427:fap: running before I leave!!!!

·
Too Old To Give a Fuck
4,489 Posts
very nice. i love shit like this...........keep us updated...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh....now I see why you and Tony want me to go to the track with you next time....so you can slaughter me :)

Good God...what a nice setup !!! What is the update ???

By the way...just got the new clutch in the Z and the Silverado is getting a Tru-trac as we speak !!

Pitt

·
HARDCORE since 1982
3,345 Posts
By the way...just got the new clutch in the Z and the Silverado is getting a Tru-trac as we speak !!

Pitt

I know someone else getting one ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
very nice. i love shit like this...........keep us updated...
Will do and I am trying to remember when I do something to take pictures. It is amazing that I have to think about having to do that but when you get the stuff in I have the tendancy to just jump in and start..

Oh....now I see why you and Tony want me to go to the track with you next time....so you can slaughter me :)

Good God...what a nice setup !!! What is the update ???

Pitt
Hard to compete with you Bob!! You know hard decision do I race my Z06 or my built Silverado no telling how fast it is.

Im liking the streetlites 10" in the back? whats the offset?
Thanks they are 15X8" with 5.5 backspacing I didn't go with the 10" because I didn't want to have to beat up the inner fenderwell or remove the shock cover. I am told they will fit okay just some cars you have to modify some you don't. I was going to run the same tire either way so didn't see the need for the 10"

·
10 Second Club
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 36 Posts