LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any plans to make them? I'm trying like hell to convince the Sheriff's dept that I work at (I work on the cars, btw...not a cop) to get some to replace the B4C Camaros now that they aren't being made anymore. So far everyone is nuts about them, but a police package being available would help the cause a great deal :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I doubt it! To costly and most departments don't want a limited production vehicle! Most departments buy in fleet and unless for special reasons, they go with the lowest bidder. A B4C was considerably less than the equivalent of $33k in it's day and a Crown Vic or Impala can be sold in the low $20's.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Just because they have one doesn't mean it'll sell. When GM killed the Caprice, they quick whipped up a 2wd Tahoe Police Interceptor. Departments loved it in terms of performance, space, utility, etc. Problem was, even in fleet sales, prices were still high $20's to low 30's which was out of reach of many departments. As such, it fizzled.

Having had experience in department/fleet sales. 99% of departments want the most for the cheapest. The most being the most number of units for the cheapest price. The reason the B4C was popular and sold sufficiently was because it WAS cheap. A GTO is not cheap and with only 18,000 a year for public consumption, that also means few left to be used as fleet/department use.

·
55 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Just because they have one doesn't mean it'll sell. When GM killed the Caprice, they quick whipped up a 2wd Tahoe Police Interceptor. Departments loved it in terms of performance, space, utility, etc. Problem was, even in fleet sales, prices were still high $20's to low 30's which was out of reach of many departments. As such, it fizzled.

Having had experience in department/fleet sales. 99% of departments want the most for the cheapest. The most being the most number of units for the cheapest price. The reason the B4C was popular and sold sufficiently was because it WAS cheap. A GTO is not cheap and with only 18,000 a year for public consumption, that also means few left to be used as fleet/department use.

just to let you know Chevy is goin to re-introduce the pursuit-able Tahoe in 2005

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Any coppers got the supercharged Impala?

·
Registered
68 Posts
mistermike said:
Any coppers got the supercharged Impala?

I don't know if any have the supercharged version, but I talked to a cop in Ontario who had a normal Impala patrol car (2003) and hated it. She said that when they got in high speed chases, the load of the lights, siren, radio and everything else made the whole electrical system shut down. End of pursuit. That's what she told me anyway.

I always thought the Tahoe police vehicle was stupid. Like a flying brick that gets 11 mpg. Our NYS Ticket Writers -- I mean Troopers -- had them for a while, but they are all back to Crown Vics.

The old Caprice was a barge, but it sure was solid (and fast). I think the best current cop car remains the Crown Vic, despite the little problem with being a mobile barbeque. :)

(By the way, I'm a former Mopar guy, not a Ford fan. In my world, the ideal police car would be a 1969 Polara CHP car. ;)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
GMLOAD said:
just to let you know Chevy is goin to re-introduce the pursuit-able Tahoe in 2005
Once again though, they can introduce it all they want (you should see some of the kick arse stuff we get wind of) but that doesn't mean it'll sell in bulk like Impala's! Why? Price.

You'll move a few, don't get me wrong. But those will be Supervisor or other ranked officers vehicles and not the general police cruiser.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
The 04 Grand Prix wouldn't be too bad either. With those 90 deg. back doors, they could shove some really fat alleged perpetrators in the back, and still have room for a case or two of donuts on that nifty folded-down front seat.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
I am guessing if GM doesn't step up real quick to get the commodore over here, the majority of PD's in the country willl continue with the CV or take a chance on the Police Edition Chargers.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Nighthawk said:
Does anyone know if there are any plans to make them? I'm trying like hell to convince the Sheriff's dept that I work at (I work on the cars, btw...not a cop) to get some to replace the B4C Camaros now that they aren't being made anymore. So far everyone is nuts about them, but a police package being available would help the cause a great deal :D
I'm not sure about a police package but North Carolina has already bought a few to try out for the Camero replacement. Oz uses them as interceptors too! Try a search on that . . .

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
The 2 coupes shown here are one offs - not used for general use.

In the United Arab Emirates you may get pulled over by a lumina SS

Or a Caprice SS

In Victoria, Australia, a Commodore SS (3 year old VX here)

Or even this :

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
30 Participants
1meangto
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing