LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored today so I decided to mod my stock airbox. I performed a similar mod when I bought my Avalanche 2 years ago.

It was not easy to remove the stock airbox. It was held in weird places with Torx style bolts. In fact, you have to remove the coolant reservoir just to loosen one of the bolts.

I also removed the stock intake scoop. Next to the large inlet hole, I drilled 2 holes using a 1.5 inch spade bit. I noted that there is an area just below it where a large opening in the wheel fender can actually allow air to flow.

I also used the same spade bit and drilled about a dozedn or so holes in the base of the stock airbox unit.

This is a completely reversible mod. If things go awry, all you need to do is buy the stock airbox base and put it back. From the top, you can hardly see that I drilled so many holes in it.

I don't know if it helps or not. Tell you the truth, I have no way of quantifying if it helped or not in either the AV or the GTO anyway. In the truck, this mod did not screw up the MAF into thinking there was a bad airflow.

Any goat owner here who has performed a similar mod?

·
3,327 Posts
I have done the same thing with my air box on my 4-wheeler, but eventually just took the top off of it completely. When I drilled the holes, I used filter-inserts. You may want to look into those to keep larger debris out of the box. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Desertgoat, I think you made a mistake. what you did by drilling those hole is to allow HOT air from the engine compartment get into the air box. Hot air is the worst (maybe not the WORST) thing you can do. It will lower your HP output.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
You don't have to remove the torx bolts. You can just pull the box out by "popping" the rubber grommets off the bolts. They will snap right back in. Just be careful not to lose the rubber grommets.

Does this mean you are passing unfiltered air to your MAF? Yikes!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Huh?

FLORIT said:
You don't have to remove the torx bolts. You can just pull the box out by "popping" the rubber grommets off the bolts. They will snap right back in. Just be careful not to lose the rubber grommets.

Does this mean you are passing unfiltered air to your MAF? Yikes!
Tha air filter sits on top of the airbox. All the holes, icluding the BIG one sit below it. So how can the MAF get unfiltered air????

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
You're right... the induction tube feeds from the TOP half of the box. The holes are in the BOTTOM half, and the filter sits between them.

The pics threw me... not to mention a "macaroni salad" overdose during the holiday weekend. :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Macaroni Salad???

FLORIT said:
You're right... the induction tube feeds from the TOP half of the box. The holes are in the BOTTOM half, and the filter sits between them.

The pics threw me... not to mention a "macaroni salad" overdose during the holiday weekend. :D
Oh, wait! That's right, you're not me or Tails! :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem. Actually, for a second it was you who freaked me out!

LOLOLOLOL

Stay away from macaroni salad. Not good if you are on the Atkins diet. Too much carbos.....

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about CAI

mlc said:
Desertgoat, I think you made a mistake. what you did by drilling those hole is to allow HOT air from the engine compartment get into the air box. Hot air is the worst (maybe not the WORST) thing you can do. It will lower your HP output.
So what you are saying is all those people who installed CAI and with an open totally exposed K&N air filter also made a mistake.

If there is a set up where the filter is surrounded by 360 degrees of warm engine air, then it is the CAI set up.

So you are telling me essentially not to install a CAI or just buy a new airbox and go back to stock...Please enlighten me. Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
desertgoat said:
So what you are saying is all those people who installed CAI and with an open totally exposed K&N air filter also made a mistake.

If there is a set up where the filter is surrounded by 360 degrees of warm engine air, then it is the CAI set up.

So you are telling me essentially not to install a CAI or just buy a new airbox and go back to stock...Please enlighten me. Inquiring minds want to know...
I install the a CAI and then went back the the stock box because the air temperature was killing the HP. I didn't see this until I had a dyno run. My current setup is with the Speed Inc tube and stock box. I'm looking for a replacement filter. The best thing would be to get the air from the front of the car and I thought that's what you did when I saw the thread. Some people will say that the air is only hot while sitting still and as soon as you get going the temperature will drop. Maybe but not fast enough. And sitting at the light (or tree, or starting gate) is when you want the cold air.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, no bridges burned. If I don't like it, all I gotta do is buy another stock airbox base from the dealer and do a swap.

Looks like no CAI for me. I have been seriously flirting with the thought of it and switching to the open exposed cone filter like I see with so many members here. This was my "interim" mod and I'll drive the goat for a couple of weeks to see if it makes difference for better or for worse.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
you didn't have to take thoes torx fasteners off, the air box and coolant resivoir are on thoes bolts by a rubber grommit.

I thin the speed inc. cai increases hp, CMNTMXR made 10-15hp with his. Unlike alot of cars their are holes for the wiring harness underneith the stock air box.

After a highway run the filter was warm to the touch on the back side and cooler then ambient air on the front side of the filter.

i'm gonna rig up some flexible tubing run it under the bumper and through the hole under the air box like 2" diameter, not huge but will permote some cooler air around the filter.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Further testing

desertgoat said:
Like I said, no bridges burned. If I don't like it, all I gotta do is buy another stock airbox base from the dealer and do a swap.

Looks like no CAI for me. I have been seriously flirting with the thought of it and switching to the open exposed cone filter like I see with so many members here. This was my "interim" mod and I'll drive the goat for a couple of weeks to see if it makes difference for better or for worse.
As an idea, you can always cover the holes exposed to hot engine compartment air with duct tape on the outside and leave the others open to see what differences you note....JAT

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
There is NOTHING that duct tape can't fix. :D

BTW, there are a couple of threads where the "hot engine air" debate rages. Like, mlc, I also ditched the Speed Inc. CAI and went back to the stock box. The data I collected with my HP Tuner software made it clear that the difference in air flow is less significant than the difference in Intake Air Temperature.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Ditto

FLORIT said:
There is NOTHING that duct tape can't fix. :D

BTW, there are a couple of threads where the "hot engine air" debate rages. Like, mlc, I also ditched the Speed Inc. CAI and went back to the stock box. The data I collected with my HP Tuner software made it clear that the difference in air flow is less significant than the difference in Intake Air Temperature.
I'm with you Florit....same reasons. Now I have 'polished' up my Airbox setup still using the Speed tube. I am using a modified top and bottom, have added two air deflectors, and am using an Accel Cool Blue panel filter.
See this:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4183&highlight=Airbox
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1864&page=3&pp=30&highlight=Airbox

·
Registered
92 Posts
i like the look of the cs performance carbon fiber tube with the stock air box and a performance filter like a K&N. i think that would give the best performance.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
tbone3424 said:
i like the look of the cs performance carbon fiber tube with the stock air box and a performance filter like a K&N. i think that would give the best performance.
I did not go with the CS tube beforehand, that is the way I would pick now to start. I'd mod the top as I have, copied from another member so kind as to post, Mod the bottom as I found works best, add the two air deflectors, and still go with an Accel Blue for filtering duties. But I didn't originally. I am now playing catchup with the parts I have on hand, and learning a lot, which is a good thing. I will end up with as good a flowing system, just the road was harder to get it.... I learn something new every day, and I love it. There are gains to be had here, they just aren't obvious....so what else is new? :shiner:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts