LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone have any good information on how these things are selling?
From what I can find, they are not selling that great.
If you ask me, the dealers screwed up, and coupled with the initial delays in orders, is making this car not sell so well.
I had to call/visit 8 dealers back in December when I ordered mine, to find one that would take GMS pricing. Some of the dealers were a joke, "Well, MSRP is about $35,000, and they're going to go about $3-5 over that."....I got that line from more than 1 dealer. What the hell were they thinking? Gee, let's start with an inflated MSRP, and tack on 3-5 over that. Your approaching 'vette prices with those figures. No one in thier right mind is going to buy a GTO for $38-$40k.
I pass this one dealer on my way to work every day, he's had a yellow M6 outside on his rack next to the road (so, in michigan that traslates to nasty road rash from plows, traffic flow salt spray..etc) since late December. He wanted $37500+tax......gee..it's still there...I wonder why. He took my number when I was in, he called last week and said he now would take GMS pricing. Then, he was mad at me for telling him "I already made arragments with another dealer"...."well, why didn't you call me, you know I had to work this special offer out with my manager, just to get GMS prcing for you"..special offer? What? Translation, "oh ***** we screwed up asking too much for these cars, now we're sitting on them and they need to go."
I'm sure I wan't the first person in there to ask for GMS pricing. I know dealers aren't obligated to honor GMS pricing, but they are stupid not to on all but extremely special, extremely low volume cars.
Yeah, the inital ording thing is frustrating for some, I think it's ok now, mines right on schedule, but I know GM pissed off alot of people taking orders last June telling them "early 4th quarter" then not delivering until December,January.
Just wondering if anyone has any accurate sales figures for these cars.

Ken

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My preordered car is still almost a month out (order accepted first week of August). Being from MI, I know when I decided to forego the preorder and buy one, only one dealer out of 5 I called would talk about supplier pricing - needless to say that's where mine was purchased from.
I was told by my salesman that they are having a hard time selling the automatics. He said he wishes they would shift the ratio to 70/30 manuals instead of 70/30 autos and he'd sell many more.
And contrary to any attempts to change it, dealers are mostly all still slimeballs - no offense to any here intended.
Dan

·
large member
105 Posts
Yeah, its too bad GM finally has a reasonably priced product that people want but then they (GM) screws up the delivery system. As Ive mentioned before, GM should have sent all the first shipment of GTOs directly (and at MSRP) to those that pre-ordered, regardless of bogus "dealer allotments". Imagine if all those Yellow a4's were on the road in Miami or LA instead of sitting on a snow covered corner lot in Podunk, Nebraska. Rolling advertisements. Second, any "over MSRP" dealers should get hammered by GM management. Word carries quick, especially on the net, and give the product (and GM) a bad reputation. (I note these are probably the same clowns who take nice Devilles and gold-plate the emblems and add crappy vinyl tops.) It might have also been worth the extra bucks (if any) to have a Pontiac Rep monitor these sites (LSIGTO, New Age, Ultimate, ect...) and maybe respond to a few questions or complaints. Again, news travels fast on the net. Next, fire the tv ad folks. Those ads sucked and as weve seen on this site before, any number of cool ads could have been done cheaply. (I would have had a shot of Woodward, the song "Little GTO" and a Saturday night cruise.) Note I have no complaints about the car itself. I thought it was fairly reasonably priced (and though Ive never paid MSRP before, I was prepared to do so just this once) and unless it grenades over the next few years I bet Ill be pretty happy with it, it is plenty fast, handles great, has all the options I wanted and is quite classy looking (a guy drove by in a CLK-320 the other day and about ran off the road staring at my car). Im not Craig Breedlove and if I want to go faster, Ill buy a 70 Nova and drop a Donovan in it. I still think they should stop making the 04s in May, switch to making 05's and get them to the dealers by September. There's likely no big changes (maybe an ugly hood or other add-ons). Just a thought or two...

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Pontiac dealer near me has had 5 GTOs. They've had a couple nearly two months now with the other three others trickling in. They haven't sold a single one of them. When they first came in, I went to check them out. They had an $8000 markup on them. I assume that's why they still have them all sitting on the lot. I think that is a huge mistake and is the primary reason I am going out of state to get mine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got my GTO @ $33,500. The local dealer was great. Myself and wife are repeat customers. He's made a few bucks of me and my pampered trade-ins. I try to follow the new supply of GTO's at AutoTrader.com. any distance. The dealers adding stupid $$$$ to the price will get stuck until the supply disappears.. The poor delivery dates are not helping. My order was taken 6-28-03. Got the GTO 2-14-04.... And more people want the 6 spd over the A4. I have the A4 if need to shift I have a LOADED '87 IROC to satisfy the need. The constant shift in traffic is a turn off for me. The posi is still in the A4. If I couldn't get the posi; I would have gotten the M6...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tigger said:
They had an $8000 markup on them.
$8000!!!! WTH!!! :drink: Hmm..let's see, 33,495+8,000=41,495*1.06(MI is 6% tax)=43,984+1,000 gas guzzler=$44,984+$100plates/title=$45,084. Hoooollllllyyyy cow. Mabey, in 30 years he might get that. Hmm..Corvette Base coupe=44635-2000cash back*1.06=$45193.

·
Registered
349 Posts
And I bet they wonder why the GTOs aren't moving. Last time we walked to that dealership, my wife and daughter counted 53 Corvettes on the lot. I guess they're trying to corner the market assuming there might be a shortage before the C6s come out. We didn't check to see if there was a mark up on the Vettes. You can bet there will be a huge markup on the C6s when they. start shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
3 kinds of dealers ....

Wish auto companies would do more to manage their dealers. Think most of the time the dealers get away with whatever they can. System that is set up in the USA: car manufacturers sell to dealers, and DEALERS sell to the people. Couple of times there have been rumors of manufacturers entering the dealership world ...and the dealers revolted. Something about independant business men (oops, people), stay out of "our" business, and the like. Just as big an issue as upsetting the dealers is the state laws (and guess how many state officials get "sizable donations" from the local dealer networks.
Right now there are three kind of dealers: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Trying to find a good one ain't easy, but hopefully the bad and the ugly will put themselves out of business.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Several year ago Ford came in and bought all the Ford dealerships here in Tulsa. It took some time to work out which facilities would do what work on the vehicles. Some trimming down was done to make the most of the new setup. It was about five years later and Ford decided to get out of the dealership business. I don't know any of the details why, but the system didn't work. I believe Ford tried this method in another city before Tulsa, and it didn't work out either. I don't think population cared for the idea of losing some of the long time dealership names. They might have gone for the Ford ownership if there was a better deal to be made. Guess it didn't happen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tigger said:
And I bet they wonder why the GTOs aren't moving. Last time we walked to that dealership, my wife and daughter counted 53 Corvettes on the lot. I guess they're trying to corner the market assuming there might be a shortage before the C6s come out. We didn't check to see if there was a mark up on the Vettes. You can bet there will be a huge markup on the C6s when they. start shipping.

"Last time we walked to that dealership, my wife and daughter counted 53 Corvettes on the lot." Which city is "that" dealership located. I had to go out of state to get a reasonable dealer to sell me my gto too. At least in early to mid-december I found all dealers in the raleigh-durham triangle - shall we say; "out of line with their pricing on the GTO."

·
Registered
349 Posts
1973corvette said:
At least in early to mid-december I found all dealers in the raleigh-durham triangle - shall we say; "out of line with their pricing on the GTO."
I'm sure we're talking about the same dealer -- the one in Cary.

·
3,327 Posts
I went with my small town dealer. I asked him about the GTO, he didnt know much about it. When the pre-order came along, I called him, and he pre-ordered. He did not figure to get one until late in the spring, so when my TPW came across in December, he was suprised. When it showed up in February he was even more suprised. And he told me that when he talked with other dealers around the area, they were kind of upset that he was getting one so soon. He was allocated one GTO: the one that I preordered. He sold to me at MSRP, I never had to put down a down-payment, and he Gladly set it on the showroom floor with no other vehicles for 2 weeks until I picked it up. Being that he is a small time dealer, I am almost POSITIVE that he was more than happy to get MSRP, becase as we all know, that is just the SUGGESTED selling price. Invoice is much lower, and actual price is even lower than that. He probably made more money selling me this car than he does selling the old people in my town their caddies.

·
PC load letter?
236 Posts
From what I can tell GTO's aren't moving as fast as I initially thought they would. Our local dealer in Des Moines has 2 on the lot. One of them was the first GTO they got in, yellow 6-spd, that the guy backed out on - been sitting there for about 2 months now if not longer. I know the salesmen is trying to get rid of it and now they have it sitting outside and we just got 5 more inches of snow today. Both cars are selling at MSRP (the other one is black/red 6spd).

GTO advertising is in it's infancy still to create awareness, but even with a limited number (16,000 or so) that are going to be built, you'd still think they'd be flying off the showroom floors.

I remember back in the summer of 2003 when all the hype was saying "Pre-order now or you won't get one, period" and I for one bought into it. I'm not saying I won't love my car regardless, just making a point.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I personally think that having us owners that pre-ordered bitching about how much of a hassle the preorder system was rather than bragging about the cars certainly didn't help sales any.
Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
1973corvette said:
"Last time we walked to that dealership, my wife and daughter counted 53 Corvettes on the lot." Which city is "that" dealership located. I had to go out of state to get a reasonable dealer to sell me my gto too. At least in early to mid-december I found all dealers in the raleigh-durham triangle - shall we say; "out of line with their pricing on the GTO."
Vettes are a reason that they are not selling right now-dealers don't want to mov on the GTO price but Vettes are selling for 12K off sticker + low interest which on a base model puts it at 32-33K i presume alot of ppl are going for the vette for the same $$, i seriously considered it but have about decided to order a gto for practicality and insurance cost difference
Ben

·
-Tom Capozzi- Spitzer Pontiac GMC
263 Posts
belmor said:
Vettes are a reason that they are not selling right now-dealers don't want to mov on the GTO price but Vettes are selling for 12K off sticker + low interest which on a base model puts it at 32-33K i presume alot of ppl are going for the vette for the same $$, i seriously considered it but have about decided to order a gto for practicality and insurance cost difference
Ben
The reason you see so many vette's on the dealers lots at huge discounts is for future allocation on the C6 when it comes out this summer.The dealers are taking every vete they can get and blowing them.For every one they sell they get one.Pontiac didn't go that route with the GTO.They waited till late 2002 to announce the GTO and then based allocation off of total new pontiac sales.Another reason is that GM and the dealers don't want 2004 and 2005 Vette's sittiong side by side on the lots.Also there is twice the markup in a Vete as there is in a GTO.Not justifying anything just educating on how GM and most dealers work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dealer pin stripes GTO'S!!

You guys won't believe this... but I went by a dealer in the Denver area known as south west plaza... they have a blk4 still stock, a blue 6 and a silver 6 and they actually painted a double script type pen stripe the full length of the car... also on the spoiler and on the trunk and put GTO letters just below the rear window on both the silver and the blue! I kid you not!!! I said to three sales guys... Man, who ruined those cars? They had the nerve to look surprised and said you mean you don't like it?.. we thought it looked cool!! On top of that they had a 5k$ mark up!! I said please don't ruin the black one! One of the sales guys said,.. well you can still take a hair dryer and get it to come off!... I didn't tell them I already had one and that I got for msrp.. maybe I'll just happen to go back this week end in mine just to see what reaction they show! As Marvin Gaye would say..... What's Going On???
Safe driving!!!!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I went to my local dealer here in Long Beach, they have a black/black 6 speed with a $10,000 markup!!!!!!!
You should of seen their faces when I told them I got my IMB/black 6 speed for $2,000 under MSRP. Wish I had a camera!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am just giddy about all this!!

First... as to sales volume, delivery delays, and practically non-existent advertising... no surprise there.

That's what you get when you have a number-cruncher (Accountant) like Lutz the Klutz running design and advertising.

The older guys here will tell you a similar thing happened with a guy named MacNamarra and Vietnam.

Second... I got my brand new PBM/Black M6 for $3000 under sticker and that included LoJack, extended 72 month warranty and grill inserts.

I'm pleased as punch about the sales volumes - the demand for this car in the secondary marketing in a few years is really going to rise. That's what happened with the performance cars of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Pretty soon you'll see auction demand for 90s cars start climbing.

So my 1 of 1077 is working just fine for me!

·
3X HIN Hottest Modern Muscle
1,028 Posts
Talking about bringing a thread back from the dead.....lol
I had the same problem when i tryed to order my 04 GTO, in i think it was June or July of 03.....we cant do GMS blah blah. But then i finally found one. Now on my 06, GMS is no big problem....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts