LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other subscribers? I got mine yeserday. They ran a shoot out between a GTO and a Mach 1. The GTO was an automatic. It suffered severe problems from launch to 20 MPH due to a torque control computer routine. I would be worried if I was ordering an auto.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
This was discussed previously on one of the message boards - but a quick search and I was unable to find it here.

The car tested was an A4 preproduction car. It did not have all of the GTO programming - much of it was for the Monaro. Specifically it was set for the lower HP and torque so the shifting points were out of whack. They thought they could have done much better adjusting with LSedit - but were unable to because it was a preproduction car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The auto ain't flash. It'll bog down and it's clunky. But bullet proof. If you want the real performance, you'll be picking the 6 speed manual.
Adequate for whipping most stoplight challengers tho.

ƒ

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Finally got mine. Kind of anti-climatic with the known problems they had with the pre-production car. But cool never the less.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rschumacherfan1 said:

The car tested was an A4 preproduction car. It did not have all of the GTO programming - much of it was for the Monaro.
Hope your right. If a miracle happens and I am able to get a GTO I would seriously consider an auto just for the traffic lights. But I wouldn't want to be beat by every 5.0 in the city.

They are planning a shootout against a classic Judge for Musclecar Enthusiast, maybe they'll have a right auto by then.

I sent the article to DY.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the FWIW department and based on the recent C/D and MT tests indicating a 0-60 time of 5.3 sec I wouldn't be worried. I re-read a MT test of the new Mach 1 and it was timed at 5.3 as well. So your in good company. Just don't think the 3700 GTO can feed on Cobra's. I don't believe that was Pontiac's goal anyway.

There's a big gap in the performance car line-up right now. Seems your either a low 5 sec car or a high 4 sec car and nothing in between.

The new GTO will perform it's mission as long as it's owners don't try and expect it to do battle with the 4 sec class cars. With typical LS1 mods currently available for the C5/F-Bodies the GTO should be easy to mod.

Tom

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Go to the multi-media section here and it's there.

And flow-Aus, as far as what's better for drag racing, actually the automatic is. It's more consistent and allows for much harder launching and subsequently lower 60' times. You'll see to of the same car, equally modded, one with stick, one with auto, generally the auto will have a quicker E.T. and the manual car will have a higher/faster mph.

This particular car suffered from a pre-production PCM with some of Holden's programming in it. It suffered from severe torque management. For those that don't know what torque management is, on automatic cars, the PCM as the transmission is about to shift backs off timing momentarily the transmission shifts, then once into gear readvances timing back to normal advance levels. This car suffered from severe TM as well as other glitches in the software.

If it didn't have these problems, that car would've been into the 13's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts