LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a diff in power would i get if i did some port matching on the intake and on the exhaust manifolds, and the heads? and what if i grind out a lil material in the heads and exhaust manifold....or are our cars already pretty set in that dept...... i have read up a little bit on this in magazines and stuff....but those were for race applications and aftermarket parts and stuff like that.... i know my gains would depend on the job done.....but would me doing it myself as a beginner make any worthwile gains?

sorry for my typing folks.......sometimes my spacebar doesnt work and my hand is broke!!!!

·
Smug 5.0 Asshole
2,524 Posts
REDHAM said:
How much of a diff in power would i get if i did some port matching on the intake and on the exhaust manifolds, and the heads? and what if i grind out a lil material in the heads and exhaust manifold....or are our cars already pretty set in that dept...... i have read up a little bit on this in magazines and stuff....but those were for race applications and aftermarket parts and stuff like that.... i know my gains would depend on the job done.....but would me doing it myself as a beginner make any worthwile gains?

sorry for my typing folks.......sometimes my spacebar doesnt work and my hand is broke!!!!
I would council that you get someone who's done it before to help you, if not just take the parts to a shop.

·
Need To Drive More
1,477 Posts
Ported intake from CHarris
Ported and polished throttle body from MyGoatBites
Ported Stage 3 243 heads from [email protected]
ExtrudeHone the exhaust manifolds
Two hole mode in stock airbox w/K&N drop in
NitrousOutlet HALO nitrous kit from nitrodave

Total sleeper car and have money left over.

·
Registered
69 Posts
port matching

I would look into port matching as a place to start before going full bore on porting if you are new to it. You can potentially do more harm than good porting yourself unless you know certain things like how much material is in the walls and how big you can go before you start to change flow dynamics.

Some basic rules. Usually OK to open up exhaust ports - better flow out combustion chamber means a cleaner mixture to burn.

Opening up intakes means you lower the velocity / increase flow and that usually affects low end unless compensated by cam changes that change the openning time.

Port matching eliminates sharp edges on the transitions of flow from intake to head and head to exhaust. These sharp transitions can cause irregular flow in cylinders.

Port matching is relatively easy. You get an intake gasket (if used) or make an intake template by coating the intake with light oil or paint, press cardboard to the intake to make an impression. Cut out the ports with an exacto and use that as a reference unless you are using a gasket. Use the bolt holes as indexes and line up on the opposing ports on the heads to see how the ports would align. Using a awl, mark the gasket opening on the ports and that is the material you will be removing. This also works on the exhaust side. You will need to ramp the area of material you are removing over a half to an inch if possible.

When you assemble the parts, be sure to use the same type of gaskets you used to match ports.

For a DIY project, this is a good start to optimizing the designed flow of our motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts