LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i read all the posts about "don't get an aftermarket throttle body" and then did a little research on my own. seeing as how i march to a different drummer i picked up a 80mm BBK throttle body from another member here very reasonably. a couple of things i noticed right away; one, atho the BBK has a smooth, true 80mm bore is had a very rough cast throat area and second, the stock TB measured only a 72mm bore. i was surprised the stocker was so small. even if it was ported it only had a 74mm blade.
i took a die grinder and smoothed the rough throat area, ported the radius of the throat taper-in and "knifed" the outer diameter a little. i then hand sanded it and using a small buffing wheel polished it to a mirror finish. after a couple of hours of fussing it only took 15 min to install. i trimming the supplied gasket that's used for the spacer so it port matched the TB. the LS6 intake has a 80mm opening so it matches up nicely to the BBK.
i adjusted the throttle cable to take up the slack. the adjuster is about 18" back from the TB. there is a clip you pull up to loosen the cable junction. you then hold the blade of the tb open, push the cable shorter and then put the blade of the TB back to the rest position. now the cable is adjusted to the right length and you clamp the clip down again to hold it.
the throttle response, as expected, was criper. it would only make sense as the same throttle angle on a larger blade would let in more air. i took it out for a logged run and i had to adjust my fueling up by adjusting the VEs up 3.5 points at WOT peak torque and 2-3 percent higher in all of the higher MAP regions. i had no problems with the throttle "sticking" out of idle as i had read how to adjust it on the BBK site. it had a faint whistle but with my insulated intake it is only noticable with the hood up. strangley my exhaust sounded a little louder. don't know why.
i would say that it is going to be a good addition to the cam i'm putting in Monday and the heads i'll possibly be getting next year.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
:worthless:

thought i'd say it before someone else did :D
here's a visual comparison of the stocker vs the BBK. click on thumbnail for full size pix. cam's going in tomorrow.:burnout:

·
Quicksilver
47 Posts
svede1212 I am getting ready to install a BBk 80 MM T-body on my 04. You said the LS6 intake has a 80 MM opening, you think the BBK could be installed without the spacer? The spacer takes it from 80 MM to 76 MM, it is tapered. Thought you might know cuz you have been there and done that! Oh, and the stock intake for the LS1 is a LS6 intake right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts