LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads on this already, but I have not seen a clear cut answer for my question.

I was making a u turn the other day (TC off) and it need to be quick due to on coming traffic. I gave it about 1/2 throttle and lit up only one tire. This has happened several times. I tried to do a donut to show up my friends lt1 Z-28 and the same thing happened.

However if I deck it going straight both wheels light up no prob.

I am aware that the rear end has a clutch pac in it to let on wheel spin faster than the other while cornering, I just did know if this was common.

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
these are limited slip diffs. and not full traction. everytime i get into a corner and goose it only 1 tire spins and has been that way since i bought it new. limited slip means if most of the wt is taken off of 1 tire then only 1 tire will spin, until equal wt is put on both you will only get one spinning. just like you said when you take off straight both tires spin. i have never had my diff grease changed in 38000 miles. if the inner workings can wear out that easy then mine seems to be normal with this many miles on it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
An lsd will provide power to both wheels. Certain lsd's are much more aggressive than others. Some work on fluid friction, clutch plates etc. This oe diff is quite mild. Viscous diffs do benefit from fluid change as the friction modifier tends to gum up and age through heat cycles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went out side and did a brake stand in the rain and only one wheel went I had my freinf look at it. does that lend anymore clarity to it. I think it might be fryed

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I hate these diff. I bought the Torco fluid. Hoping to get more time ot of mine. NOPE! This thing still won't burn two. I can start with a stright burnout, and hold the brake to get the rpm's up. Then, just cut the wheel just a little bit. Not evem allowing the car to turn yet. She will start the inside tire, and stop the outside. I cannot stand it. I have another diff, with all the stock parts and about 8k miles on it. I am going to try and give it a spring tuning kit, and 3.91's. I just want to be able to power through a corner when road racing. Instead of having to let off, and gain tracktion. Kills your track time.

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
Pulse_GTO said:
I just went out side and did a brake stand in the rain and only one wheel went I had my freinf look at it. does that lend anymore clarity to it. I think it might be fryed

back up 10 ft straight, then pull forward, then do a brake stand

·
06 m6
164 Posts
have the same thing going on with mine,have 6400 mile on it . used to turn both of them, for the first 3000 miles and 1200 of those was a road trip to NY. this rear end sucks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really am not a fan of the car as whole, I have had a number of prob with mine. I wish the new camaro was out sooner I would unload this thing pretty quick. Although that prob has the same diff.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will the diff Tech spring tuning kit help with this? I am alos taking it in to the dealer this monday. Does anyone thing I should take off the skip shift Elm. just to be on the safe side? I just do not want to hear any bs from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts