LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you ppl used the power from the passenger visor for their detector?
I hooked mine up to there yesterday and it works great. I changed the fuse from a 10 to a 15 just incase someone uses the lighted mirror while the detector is on.

I have another question, has anyone got the suction cups to stick to that black matrix on the windshield above the rear view mirror? I tried everything short of gluing it there. Thats really the best place to mount the detector, it can't be seen from outside and the pick-up sensor is just perfect if its mounted right for it to pick up the radar. I had to stick it just below it and now it can be seen from outside of the car. Any feedback would be great!!

ROK:)

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Try and go to one of those craft shops... worst case scenario, some yarn/old lady store might have 'em.

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DiSTuRBeDGTO said:
Try and go to one of those craft shops... worst case scenario, some yarn/old lady store might have 'em.
No, No I have the suction cups, as a matter of fact I went to "wally world" and picked up three different ones. They were various duty, and even the heaviest duty one didn't stick to the "black" part. But thanks for your feedback anyways......

ROK

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Even if you find a way to mount it there, won't the dot matrix there interfere with the detector?

That said, maybe using the suction cups is not the idea you need. I don't know what your mounting device looks like, but I am thinking if it is flat enough with the the cups removed that you might be able to tuck it between the glass and the headliner. Another option is velcro.

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huntress said:
Even if you find a way to mount it there, won't the dot matrix there interfere with the detector?

That said, maybe using the suction cups is not the idea you need. I don't know what your mounting device looks like, but I am thinking if it is flat enough with the the cups removed that you might be able to tuck it between the glass and the headliner. Another option is velcro.

I had it perfectly mounted on the matrix, with the sensor just below the black (if you crouched down in the front of the car you could see just the sensor below it), but it only stuck for a couple of minutes. No go on the tuck thing, velcro might work if I can get the right angle. The mounting bracket with the suction cups pops off of the detector, but it moves to adjust the unit to be level to the glass, so maybe if I replace the suction cups with velcro it might work...Ill give it a try today....Thanks "D"....

ROK

·
Registered
113 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
No, No I have the suction cups, as a matter of fact I went to "wally world" and picked up three different ones. They were various duty, and even the heaviest duty one didn't stick to the "black" part. But thanks for your feedback anyways.
Sometimes this works, use soapy water when sticking it. You might have to hold it in place until the soap dries a bit, but it might work. Otherwise, I would try a metal clip that hooks under the top head board.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey OP, could I ask how you accessed the power to the visor? I'll be getting a radar detector soon and would love to do it the same way you did...pics/diagrams would be great ^_^

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EvilYoda said:
Hey OP, could I ask how you accessed the power to the visor? I'll be getting a radar detector soon and would love to do it the same way you did...pics/diagrams would be great ^_^

I don't know who OP is, but all you have to do is remove the two star screws that hold the visor up. Make sure you keep the other end cliped into the holder, then you just carefuly pull the visor down to expose the wires. Make sure you find the positive wire on the detector (you will have to clip off the cigarette lighter plug on your detector) mine had two black wires, but one of them had a red stripe on it, that was the pos. one. The wires from the visor were red(+) and black(-). From there it's just an easy hook up, after you get it all taped up, just tuck the wires back up into the hole and replace the screws (note:don't tighten the back screw to tight it will crimp the wire and short out your interior lights). Make sure you have enough wire to reach where your detector is going to sit, and run the wire along the headliner and carefully tuck the wire into the headliner to the detector.

As you can read the other posts here, I had a hard time getting the suction cups to stick to the black matrix on the windshield, I found that velcro sticks to it and thats what I used to mount the detector. Good Luck......

ROK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts