LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Here come Da Judge
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’ve hesitated to post anything about this. Don’t want to be the board dufus. Has anyone else found the shifter (M6) to be dangerous? The short rounded stainless top is slick and when shifting very aggressively from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th my hand slips off and rams into the dash. This has happened several times and twice now that really hurt. Last night I really think I broke my little finger. Last night I was cruising and found myself on a stretch of road with no houses and no cars for 1 mile either direction. So I stop and rev up to about 2800 rpm…dump the clutch and got a great launch…I power shift to second @5000rpm and nailed it perfect ….the bloods really pumping by now and @5000rpm I power shift to 3rd really putting some force behind it…. and wham my hand slips off and crams into the dash. I almost pissed myself and well that was about the end to that, by the way I nailed the 3rd power shift and laid down some nice rubber. When I power shift from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th I use an open palm and throw my weight into the shift. Anyone else have this problem and anyone have any good ideas for a shifter type to change to?? Obviously I’m not going to stop running the car and my fingers and the dash cant take much more.
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
First of all, may I recommend that you not "put your weight into it?" I don't think it's necessary. Running fast and hard and power shifting does not require more effort on YOUR part. The car is doing all the work. Control your emotions, channel the adrenaline to your mind, "Use the Force", whatever... treat her gently. It may seem to contradict what you're trying to do, but it's kind of like in the golf game. The tighter your grip, the more tension you're creating. Same with driving your car. If you start "flexing your muscles", you're creating tension, which has all kinds of negative effects. I promise if you practice "relaxing" while driving hard, you'll see amazing improvements. Stay loose, breath, and concentrate. You'll rock. Good luck!
 

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
FLORIT said:
First of all, may I recommend that you not "put your weight into it?" I don't think it's necessary. Running fast and hard and power shifting does not require more effort on YOUR part. The car is doing all the work. Control your emotions, channel the adrenaline to your mind, "Use the Force", whatever... treat her gently. It may seem to contradict what you're trying to do, but it's kind of like in the golf game. The tighter your grip, the more tension you're creating. Same with driving your car. If you start "flexing your muscles", you're creating tension, which has all kinds of negative effects. I promise if you practice "relaxing" while driving hard, you'll see amazing improvements. Stay loose, breath, and concentrate. You'll rock. Good luck!
Nice Obewhan, we will see how you do at the track.....
 

·
Here come Da Judge
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Florit, you may be correct. I'm from the old school of race and the last muscle car I raced was my brothers 69 Charger. Sumbitch that thing was fast. Anyway my old muscle cars you had to man handle, with the longer throw shifts. Then again one missed que power shifting at 5000rpm and you have a blown or damaged motor. Guess I'm still used to the old hurst shifters and the pistol grips and the dash about 2 foot from the shifter. Anyway somethings got to change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
I do as speedking does.........right or wrong when I'm powershifting I put my weight into it. I don't think I could powershift with regular pressure like you do with normal lift throttle driving. And yup, I punched a metal dash once when my palm slipped off the the shifter.A 65 Impala dash -all metal and hard plastic. Ouch.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
FLORIT said:
First of all, may I recommend that you not "put your weight into it?" I don't think it's necessary. Running fast and hard and power shifting does not require more effort on YOUR part. The car is doing all the work. Control your emotions, channel the adrenaline to your mind, "Use the Force", whatever... treat her gently. It may seem to contradict what you're trying to do, but it's kind of like in the golf game. The tighter your grip, the more tension you're creating. Same with driving your car. If you start "flexing your muscles", you're creating tension, which has all kinds of negative effects. I promise if you practice "relaxing" while driving hard, you'll see amazing improvements. Stay loose, breath, and concentrate. You'll rock. Good luck!

i totally agree. i would try to find a more smooth and quick method of power shifting instead of just using brute force and body momentum.
im sorry to say and if im wrong tell, but it sounds like your power shifting so hard and so fast that it is becoming sloppy. just becareful that you dont accidentally go from 2 to1, instead of 2 to 3. its a great way to bend push rods. just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Pretty funny, did the exact same thing last nite except I don't think I broke my finger!
 

·
Here come Da Judge
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gangster1 said:
Pretty funny, did the exact same thing last nite except I don't think I broke my finger!
It was kinda funny and I did laugh at myself. The swelling is starting to go down. I'm telling ya that rounded metal knob is dangerous.
 

·
Here come Da Judge
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gtodriver7 said:
i totally agree. i would try to find a more smooth and quick method of power shifting instead of just using brute force and body momentum.
im sorry to say and if im wrong tell, but it sounds like your power shifting so hard and so fast that it is becoming sloppy. just becareful that you dont accidentally go from 2 to1, instead of 2 to 3. its a great way to bend push rods. just my two cents.
There is risk no mater how you power shift. I can tell you I nailed it until I nailed the dash.
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
First things first - what in the world are you doing power shifting into 5th?
(Note - this is rhetoric, but I can't ever imagine doing so unless I was on a track w/ a really long straight).
Second - I'm with the finesse crowd. 'Mashing' gears is just an expression - in reality the more you try to force it the more likely you are to mess something up (in this example, your fingers).
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Injury Free Power Shifting

Do what I do!! Stick a hunk of velcro on the shifter and another in the palm of your hand. Shift yourself silly and no broken bones. Crazy glue works even better!

slick50 :drink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
With my A4 I shift forward and tug back slightly as to not skip a gear.
I know its apples and oranges but just my 2 cents.

I wish this thing had a dual gate shifter or slap stick
 

·
Been here for a long time...
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
I, too, use just the palm when shifting into 3rd. But I learned to just push it in rather than really winding up and throwing it in. Just push diagnolly and it'll just slide right into gear without banging the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
I've found that Pushing the Clutch "IN" makes it go into the next gear WITHOUT "putting my weight into it"!

I usually shift mine from 1-2 and 3-4 with just 2 fingers on the front of the stick pulling back! Its not a pipe wrench---More force doesn't make it work better.
You could possibly have a issue with your tranny because mine shifts quite effortless.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
nikivee said:
I've not had the pleasure of hitting the dash when powershifting yet. :D I have missed 3rd once. That sucks!
I missed 4th downshifting from 6th and hit second at about 60. Got a big chirp, but was able to hit the clutch before the needle swung too far. Can you say embarrased?
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
mistermike said:
I missed 4th downshifting from 6th and hit second at about 60. Got a big chirp, but was able to hit the clutch before the needle swung too far. Can you say embarrased?
I did the same damn thing on the Interstate once. I was in traffic, just trying to avoid everyone else, and what a god awful mistake it was. That CAN'T be good for the car. First (and only) time I had ever done that, and now I am REAL careful not to do it again. (Although the downshift "chirp" was more like a "BARK" and was pretty cool. :D )
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top