LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I installed the JBA headers from Rich, I noticed a small leak coming from the power steering fitting at the pump outlet (high-pressure side on top of pump). I tightened it up, not that it was loose though, and got working on the exhaust. Afterwards it started leaving drops on the garage floor, so I tightened it some more, really pulling hard on the flare wrench, which seemed to make it leak worse. I replaced the O-ring with the GM part (19188397) and it's no better.

So I drained the reservoir again today and pulled out the line to take a better look at it. No cracks or breaks were obvious, O-ring looked good, and nothing stuck or left over inside the pump where the fitting screws in. Still leaking just as bad, so now I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
300 Posts
Before I installed the JBA headers from Rich, I noticed a small leak coming from the power steering fitting at the pump outlet (high-pressure side on top of pump). I tightened it up, not that it was loose though, and got working on the exhaust. Afterwards it started leaving drops on the garage floor, so I tightened it some more, really pulling hard on the flare wrench, which seemed to make it leak worse. I replaced the O-ring with the GM part (19188397) and it's no better.

So I drained the reservoir again today and pulled out the line to take a better look at it. No cracks or breaks were obvious, O-ring looked good, and nothing stuck or left over inside the pump where the fitting screws in. Still leaking just as bad, so now I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg
The fitting itself is probably cracked, that explains it getting worse as you tighten. It doesn't take much, may not be able to see it with out a lupe but PS systems can see pressure spikes in the thousands of pounds. If you have to replace the line I recommend -6AN PTFE braided, makes life so much easier, they look good and if you fit the hose yourself it costs about half the hard line. Just be sure you use PTFE, the pressure can burst normal AN hose.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fitting itself is probably cracked, that explains it getting worse as you tighten. It doesn't take much, may not be able to see it with out a lupe but PS systems can see pressure spikes in the thousands of pounds. If you have to replace the line I recommend -6AN PTFE braided, makes life so much easier, they look good and if you fit the hose yourself it costs about half the hard line. Just be sure you use PTFE, the pressure can burst normal AN hose.
That's what I was looking for, since it leaks between the line and the fitting. Just my luck that it's on the high-pressure line. :( I've already read through the threads for the braided lines, that's probably my next move.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's what I was looking for, since it leaks between the line and the fitting. Just my luck that it's on the high-pressure line. :( I've already read through the threads for the braided lines, that's probably my next move.

Thanks,

Greg
You will be happy you did

1 - 4 of 4 Posts