LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of praise of the Predator, and some skepticism. I think it works but I love real numbers so on Saturday I made an appointment with Performance Dyno in Concord. We're going to do a run with the factory program, then with the performance tune, and then they will see what else they can get out of the car with some tweaking. Can't wait. :p
I keep you posted.

·
3,327 Posts
:banghead: Frank, you post too soon! :banghead: Now we have to wait until Saturday!!!!! :eek2: Probably until Sunday to actually get the thread going. :cry:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, here it is...

The Predator Works! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: It wasn't your imagination.

Baseline numbers with factory program, stock air box & filter with speed inc tube.
298 rwhp, 318 rwt

After putting the performance tune in.
309 rwhp, 324 rwt

After Ed and Steve @ Performance Dyno did a little tweeking it ended up.
313 rwhp, 327 rwt

The IAT stayed ~111 for the day.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
I knew this was going to be the case and now you have just confirmed it. Thanks
for sharing your info. So anyone who was on the fence in a 6 speed, I think an
11 hp jump ain't bad.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
If you ever want to try LS1Edit, let me know. A guy who lives up the road from me, right off I495 down south, does it. Great results too.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mrgto said:
If you ever want to try LS1Edit, let me know. A guy who lives up the road from me, right off I495 down south, does it. Great results too.
Hmm. It would be nice to try it and have a comparison.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Accepting that it works, and that appears positively confirmed, can someone explain why the factory wouldn't use the same parameters to also get the max performance themselves?? Are there emission issues? Other factors? There must be a catch/reason(s)..... Reports are the 11-plus HP are noticeable seat-of-the-pants, so what am I missing? Why doesn't the factory do it??? Why make us spend $400+ ??? I have M6 BTW.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good question, and maybe for the reason you state - emisions. Maybe reliablity issues but not ones we need to worry about(?). they need to play it safe so they may have backed off on some settings.

Interestingly, the predator for the corvette did very little to boost performance. The shop owners said it wasn't until they tuned the program did they see a 10hp gain. I think diablo did a good job with the GTO.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
That’s a little too lean down low. At one point it even looks like 14.2:1. At WOT I wouldn't want anything over low 13's. Other than that a little mid range torque would have been gained from making that 12.55 closer to 12.9-13.0.

Make sure you take out the predator tune if you try LS1edit, and you might loose any adjustments they did for you. And when you are done with LS1edit I recommend to flash the stock file back in before re-loading the predator.

The factory does not have the cars running that lean for longevity reasons I believe, just to be over-safe.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DevilYellow said:
That’s a little too lean down low. At one point it even looks like 14.2:1. At WOT I wouldn't want anything over low 13's. Other than that a little mid range torque would have been gained from making that 12.55 closer to 12.9-13.0.

Make sure you take out the predator tune if you try LS1edit, and you might loose any adjustments they did for you. And when you are done with LS1edit I recommend to flash the stock file back in before re-loading the predator.

The factory does not have the cars running that lean for longevity reasons I believe, just to be over-safe.
If I read the first paragraph right you think its too lean @ low rpm and too rich midway. I agree and so did Pete. The predator doesn't allow for air/gas adjustments in each area.
He tried a few things and this was the best he could do.

Thanks for the advice on the ls1edit.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Also you CAN rev it a little higher ;) it wont blow up.

it doesnt sound like they have chipmaster revolution inhouse, what that computer program will let you acctually edit the tables in the file just like LS1edit would and then load the file into the predator. That would have the same effectiveness as LS1edit. I recommend sending the file off to a CMR (chipmaster revolution) dealer like RWTD.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Best guesstimate?

1stChildhood said:
Accepting that it works, and that appears positively confirmed, can someone explain why the factory wouldn't use the same parameters to also get the max performance themselves?? Are there emission issues? Other factors? There must be a catch/reason(s)..... Reports are the 11-plus HP are noticeable seat-of-the-pants, so what am I missing? Why doesn't the factory do it??? Why make us spend $400+ ??? I have M6 BTW.
Thanks
Likely the best guesstimate at an acceptable and non-frightening homogenized tune for the average buyer....Some of these cars will actually be used to putt around and not to go hunting... :secret:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
1stChildhood said:
Thanks
Factory has to take into effect the weiney that uses regular fuel instead of premium. If you only use premium fuel, you can get a little more aggressive on timing and a little leaner also.

Plus, I tail pipe emissions are a big thing with the factory.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
mlc said:
Baseline numbers with factory program, stock air box & filter with speed inc tube.
298 rwhp, 318 rwt

After putting the performance tune in.
309 rwhp, 324 rwt
I guessed 15hp from my Tazzo runs. Do I get a cookie? Ok,Ok, I'll settle for a set of LT's......no?....CAI?.....no?.....Fuzzy steering wheel cover?....D*mn!

Nice gains BTW

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts