LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my GTO in January and was told at the time a premium of about $3000 may be added to the sticker price since I was getting the only GTO from the dealership. Has anyone else been approached with this stipulation? My salesman seemed shocked by the low MSRP put out by Pontiac.

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
fish, dump that dealer! There are plenty of dealerships that are not charging a penny over MSRP.....including Sewell, a sponsor of this site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would consider dumping the dealer, but am not sure if I can acquire another '04. Besides, they'll keep my $1000 deposit. I ordered a Yellowjacket, M6.

·
Registered
246 Posts
davbo said:
fish, your deposit should be fully refundable.
It depends how it was sep-up.. i ahve 1 on order. I Paid $1000 down payment, but that IS refundable, and also goes twords the MSRP. No addition ripp-off charges.
Don't pay them a PENNY over MSRP. Many other dealers would LOVE your business at MSRP!

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
fish, I would raise a huge stink with the dealer is they won't give you MSRP or your money back. If that doesn't work, I'd call Pontiac and BITCH!!! As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel get the oil....

The last thing they want right now is negative publicity. It's a terrible deal and the least they could do is either sell you the car at MSRP or give you your deposit back. That is totally reasonable.

If you're uncomfortable confronting them, call the Channel 7 Consumer Team.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has your dealer given you an order number yet? First is that the order bank didn't open untill rigth around June 1st of this year and secondly the dealers didn't know what their allocation was until the middle of May.

If I was you I would get my money back and run. If you dont mind me asking since I live in Michigan, what dealer is it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FYI, unless you signed papers agreeing to purchase said car, any monies put towards it which includes a down payment are legally to be returned to you. If you purchase it, they are put towards reducing the sale price of the vehicle.

What your dealer quoted is what all Pontiac Dealers here were saying. "We'll need to mark them up to fair market value due to their exclusiveness."

I said "F*ck off!"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I haven't been given an order number yet. I pulled out my paperwork (it was actually Feb. 10 that I placed deposit) and purchase order states "$2,500 premium over list price". I must have been too glossy-eyed to read that part at the time, but am feeling pretty silly now. Do I have any recourse or should I just be happy once the car gets here? FYI, Chotton, dealer is Cawood in Port Huron. Have had a good relationship with them for years.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If they penalize you for wanting to cancel, then it probably won't be to wise to break the deal, but that's a decision for you to make.

All your down payment gave you was first right of refusal to that car. Kinda like a reservation. If you ordered it in February and don't have a TPW, there are other issues going on. Have you checked with Devil to find out if you actually have one and your dealer just hasn't told you?

This dealer sounds kinda "shady" if you ask me. If at all possible I'd cancel and pick up that black one that Sewell has if you want A4.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fish

Get your money back and call around to the bigger dealers around Detroit. I would call Noonan, Somerset, Causley, Fresard.

You will be able to get one at MSRP from one of those guys. Do not pay a penny over sticker that is wasting money.

·
Goatman
228 Posts
The first dealer I called try to charge me $5,000 over MSRP. The next $3,000. I eventually found two dealerships in the area willing to sell at MSRP.
Deposit should be fully refunded. Call around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some do some don't

I talked to one dealer that said they hadn't decided what they would charge. Only 20 miles down the road I got a deal at MSRP and they said they may decide to discount it a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer is known for their discounts. They post the lowest price on each car. I can't believe the discount will be worth a relocation.:D

·
Here come Da Judge
228 Posts
I sent a letter to Pontiac complaining about the various charges and premiums for preordering. Have you been watching ebay lately? Anyway here’s the response:

Dear Terry,

We sincerely apologize that your dealer has attempted to charge you for the right to buy a 2004 Pontiac GTO. Unfortunately, the Pontiac GTO is a very popular vehicle. All dealers are allowed to do this, as General Motors sells the vehicle to the dealer and they may sell them however they wish.

As General Motors can only produce a finite number of vehicles in a given year, we have established a Vehicle Allocation System. General Motors developed this system at the request of our dealerships, to ensure that vehicles are allocated in a fair manner. Dealerships have a certain allocation for vehicle orders and cannot exceed that allocated number. These allocations are based on several factors that your sales manager would be in the best position to explain. He should also be able to tell you what his allocation dates are. He will not know until that
date if he will have an allocation for the vehicle you've ordered. Once the factory assigns an order number and communicates this to your dealer, they can check the status of the production, even providing a target completion and delivery date.

We hope this better describes to you why GM has not accepted the order for your vehicle. We understand your frustration and hope that you continue to research buying a new Pontiac.

Stormy Rogers
Customer Relationship Manager
Pontiac Customer Assistance

Since this letter I found a dealer willing to sell it to me at MSRP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dealer called today and gave me my price, about $37000 after tax, title, and license. I asked about the premium and he said dealers in Detroit are adding up to $5000 as premium. Gee, my $2500 sounds like a deal, or so he leads me to believe.

·
Here come Da Judge
228 Posts
Fish, I've seen them selling just preorder rights on ebay for 5 to 12 thousand dollars! Market rules I guess?

ps: my wifes maiden name was Fish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
22 Participants
b4z
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing