LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a price from this place in australia http://www.difftechnics.com.au/

With conversion cost of either gear set is the same cost, hardware (bearings axle seals, crush sleeve etc) and shipping rough total USD$600 i'm est $100 for shipping.

I'm waiting on an estimate from another place in NSW for gears, I asked for an itemized estimate incld. shipping.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok this other shop I emailed got back to me within 20mins. I was refered to this bloke by a guy on LS1.com.au. His price is roughly $550 w/ shipping w/ all hardware needed for install. 4.10s arn't available.

Shipping is $75.

PM me and I can give you this shops email if interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know my pops (lanseman) just ordered the 3:91s from difftec and i believe your price in the first post is pretty close to accurate...and indeed 4:10s aren't available but theres always that IRS 9" kit hehe

·
Dad's Yellow Goat
632 Posts
No worries mate............the stuff has arrived from down under....3 days FedEx not bad! 3:91 gears and bearing kit and a diff kit with freight $685 usd.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can go to a 4.10 providing you are willing to purchase a VT commodore diff too, the cost of the diff would nearly equal the shipping cost i'd expect.

I think 3.91 gears are more then enough for the street, you gonna have them put in soon lanseman?

·
Dad's Yellow Goat
632 Posts
Going to meet at Maple Grove Dragway this weenend and will get some times. i have change to Gravana's intake and have a preditor that I down loaded the tune and it felt great but I want to get times from. Once I know what each does I will then put the gears in. I am going to drop the center section and replace all the bushings with polyurethane and rear diff cover at the same time with BMR model. Hearing all the "clunk" and wheel hop stories makes me want to try to prevent it with the aftermarket fix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Found this thread, pretty old lol. I checked the link but couldn't find anything GTO specific. Does anyone know where to find them? Thanks for the help.

·
101st Airborne Air Assault!
201 Posts
You can get 4:10's from Chris at Gforce1320... Sponsor on the left. I just ordered a set. He's an awesome guy and will jump hurdles to give you a hand in any way. I think the 4:10's are $679. I don't think i've seen a 6 year old thread ever brought back before... lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll check it out. Thanks a lot!! I was thinking about 3.91's. I have a 72 Ventura with a 4 speed auto with 4.10's. But I always wondered what it would be like 3.91's. How do you like the 4.10's? Thanks again

·
201 Posts
Dunno yet. They are being installed. Car will be done tomorrow, i'll update ya then. I can't wait. I had 3:91's in it before and it was amazing. Can only imagine what the 4:10's are gunna do for her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds good. After you break them in, let me know what you think. BTW, how muchwas labor for the install?

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
When I saw it was GMH GTO I KNEW this was back from the waaaay dead.

edit: haha that's funny

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, you were GMH GTO? Thanks for the thread. =)

Gears are the next upgrade for me. I'd figure It would be the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dunno yet. They are being installed. Car will be done tomorrow, i'll update ya then. I can't wait. I had 3:91's in it before and it was amazing. Can only imagine what the 4:10's are gunna do for her.
Did you get your gears installed yet? How do you like them? I just bought 3.91's now just for them to arrive.

·
201 Posts
Did you get your gears installed yet? How do you like them? I just bought 3.91's now just for them to arrive.
Yes they are in now along with the eaton. I've put 600 miles on it in a hurry due to deployment block leave and traveling to and from Indiana... which turned out nice to get the gears nice and broken in.

They are amazing... simply put. My 3.91's made some noise and these 4.10's are silent as can be. I've never had anything this low geared before and it's a whole new world. I can be cruising at 45 mph, gently drop her into 3rd... let off the gas and then bump the gas and it will bark the tires.

On the interstate around 80-90 mph in between 2500-2750 rpm's it's still almost as quiet as the 3.46's. 4.10's, Gforces lvl 2 anti wheelhop kit, and the billet pro shifter made this car so much funner to drive. Now just need the lvl 2 street suspension package and i'll start dropping money into the engine.

Let me know how those 3.91's work out for ya.

·
Blown by Maggie!
165 Posts
Dam 4:10's Now that would be fun!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm glad I found this post, b/c I just picked up an 04 GTO on friday. Does anyone know what a rearend going out might sound like? Or has anyone noticed a chattering sound at extremely low speeds, while in reverse or in first? Lastly, what fluid do you guys run in your rear end?

·
201 Posts
The need for first gear really is gone. I usually go 2nd 4th 6th now in town... I'll use first if im in stop and go traffic that way I can let it bog down to almost nothing before having to push in the clutch. Definitely worth it though. These are so much better than the 3.46's and even the 3.91's.

The chattering and overall clunking noise you're probably hearing is the wrong mix of fluids and/or just the need to change the fluids already in it Camaro480. Most people use Torco RGO or Torco SGO with the type F friction modifier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts