LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm of the understanding that this can be used for diagnostics on other cars, even after you use it (program) on your car?! I just tried, for the first time, to read a trouble code on a 2000 Jetta and the predator could not communicate with the car. Am I wrong? Has anyone else used thier predator on a different car?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
yep I tried it, seams to only work on GM OBD II, on some GMs I can only look at codes and am unable to look at the data list or clear DTCs. It is sort of disturbing but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah, it is the GM only model and actually only the OBDII's really. Some older GM it can read. I was able to read my wife's 98 Pontiac Transport check engine light code.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was able to read the code on my wifes 2000 GTP but was unable to clear it. It also said something like "unable to communicate." I was kind of dissapointed because that was part of my justification for buying it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T.Vick said:
I was able to read the code on my wifes 2000 GTP but was unable to clear it. It also said something like "unable to communicate." I was kind of dissapointed because that was part of my justification for buying it.
I agree. I'm not blaming anyone but myself but I thought I could use this on all vehicles. :(

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
mlc said:
I agree. I'm not blaming anyone but myself but I thought I could use this on all vehicles. :(
Nope. They make different Predators for different families of vehicles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
According to the stuff that I had seen, it was program specific but could read and erase codes on any OBD II. That's not the way it seems to work. I thought the whole point of OBD II was to standardize the diagnostic system. I don't know why it won't even work on another GM. Seems a little crappy to me, but I guess not too much suprises me anymore.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Goat said:
Nope. They make different Predators for different families of vehicles.
You understand I'm only talking about reading and clearing codes? I know the programming was only for the GTO but like T.Vick said, OBDII is suppose to be a standard. There's a unit sold by sears for $100 that can read the codes from more cars than the predator can.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
It will come back if the problem still exists

1 - 11 of 11 Posts