LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well since i bought the car. there has been a grinding sound coming from the front left when i floor it and really bad when i am in a left hand turn while accelerating. at the moment i can't leave the car for how ever long they need it for because i can't get a rental car but i wouldn't mind finding out if anyone else has this problem in case they try screwing me.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
jamesbiz said:
alright well since i bought the car. there has been a grinding sound coming from the front left when i floor it and really bad when i am in a left hand turn while accelerating. at the moment i can't leave the car for how ever long they need it for because i can't get a rental car but i wouldn't mind finding out if anyone else has this problem in case they try screwing me.

Is this a new car or used?

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah. forgot to mention. the left side of the car is lower by almost an inch. and thats with out me in it.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
jamesbiz said:
Why can't you get a loaner?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Try driving down the highway for 30 minutes or so to get the differential fluid good and hot. While the fluid is hot pull into a parking lot and turn really hard at low speeds to the wheel lock with the windows open. The grinding may be coming from your differential. You would hear it under these conditions. The fix would be adding more friction modifier to the gear lube or it could be the diff binding on the drivers side due to mis-alignment. The left side shaft is supposed to float. This simple test would eliminate at least one variable.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
jamesbiz said:
oh yeah. forgot to mention. the left side of the car is lower by almost an inch. and thats with out me in it.
Check all four coil springs to see if the shipping fillers were left in the coils. If you have seen your wife or girlfriend get a pedicure that is what you are looking for -- a urethane toe / coil spacer.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually that has happaned to me once. on the gto i traded in for this one. they left all the spacers in. it was really loud. i can't believe they couldn't hear it them selves. oh and. the sound is only coming from the front left. not the back.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Check on the lower spring coil towards the front, you will see where the spring seat on the strut goes up a bit, some cars have had problems with the bottom coil hitting the strut and causing a noise. (Don't remember where I read it, but thought it was mostly on the right front, could be wrong on that part of it)

If it is you should see some scratches on the spring where it's been hitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts