LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cruisin...
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time getting to the top bolt on the transmission. Anyone have any recommendations? I can't drop the tranny until I get this bolt out. Thanks

Nate

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
yah, it's a bear to get to. ne easy way about it, really. best to do with the heads of. You will probably want to go buy a 13mm ratcheting box wrench with a wobble head. anything that will improve your reach and angle....

·
Goatless
565 Posts
What kind of e-clips/cir clips are holding on the tranny lines into the transmission? We are close!! Thanks for helping.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
You don't need to pull them out. Drop the tranny and pull it back just far enough for some one to reach in and swap out the converters. You'll need to use a tranny jack or a floor jack to support it.

The trans fluid lines to the radiator will pull back with the trans - just unhook them from the radiator and take out the support bolt on the driver's side of the block just below the header (piston #1 area). Look for anything else holding them in place. Once freed up, all the lines will slide back when you pull the tranny back, and go back in place after you swap the converters.

Good luck...

·
Cruisin...
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy cow what a day...after all the tranny issues and questions due to my general lack of knowledge. The TCI verter I bought is an 1/8" too long....OUTSTANDING! So I have an email out to the vendor and we'll see where things go from there. Rick and Jbss71 thank you very for your help today. :)

Nate

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
Rome said:
Holy cow what a day...after all the tranny issues and questions due to my general lack of knowledge. The TCI verter I bought is an 1/8" too long....OUTSTANDING! So I have an email out to the vendor and we'll see where things go from there. Rick and Jbss71 thank you very for your help today. :)

Nate
:drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rome,
I am not trying to insult your(or anyone assisting you)intelligence or ability, but are you absolutely sure the converter is too long or did it just not fully engage the pump gear. I'm sure you are aware it sometimes takes some wiggling to get the splines and the gear to engage and allow the converter to be in the proper positiion. If it is a nearly stock diameter, you should not be able to slide your fingers between the pump and the converter if it is fully engaged and in the proper position to install the transmission. When the transmission is bolted to the engine there should be a small gap between the converter tabs and the flexplate. This allows the converter to be moved slightly forward to prevent bottoming the engagement tabs of the pump gear in the converter snout and binding or breaking the pump gear.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Rome said:

Nate
someone missed a ''click''

·
Goatless
565 Posts
Here's our issue; we have 3/8 from the converter to the front of the bell housing when we are not locked in. After locking it in, we have 7/8, not an inch. Here are pics of the difference in thickness in the two converters from the face that bolts to the flexplate to the top of the converter.

This shows the two side-by-side on the same height blocks

This is the height difference when a straight edge is laid across the TCI converter.

This just shows how I held the straight edge.

Attachments

·
Goatless
565 Posts
Still Wrenchin' said:
oops! had to step out for a bit and missed all the good stuff. As I said no ill intended. Looks like you got it pegged.
None taken; I can see where not getting it locked in can happen, especially since this is the first converter install ever attempted by Rome or myself.

ToddO was just here, and he watched me seat the converter(several times) and concurred that it's definitely in place, and that it's a converter problem. I talked to TCI this morning, and the guy at tech there said that they do make a converter that is 1/8 thicker for a different flexplate, and that this one may have been mis-stamped or something.

They said that they are sending out a new converter for us.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i was there for about 6 hrs yesterday. after doing my clutch twice i'd have to say that getting the auto tranny out is worse than the manual. i wasn't a whole lot of help tho. only so much room under the car and i entertained myself by putting drag bags on my ride for part of the afternoon. i had a hangover from hell too. damn, this story got worse than most of you know. keith you are a saint.

·
Cruisin...
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bluGTO said:
Yeah, yeah, that's me...:banghead:
Saint Keith! :-D lol...that fits you well. Well I talked to TCI and they are sending another one and hopefully this one will be the correct one. *crosses fingers and toes*

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
dude, you got the jerry disease. must have kissed todd :eek:

·
Cruisin...
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good news! new convertor got here today and it went in in under 30 seconds...the difference between the 2 verters is very considerable too. I'm happy and I should have my car back and on the road by the end of the weekend thanks to Saint Keith.

Nate

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
Nate you owe Keith big time!! Taking up his garage for a week, all the wrenching, wrecked his car, chasing parts etc...You should at least give him a BJ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts