LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sanded down my radio bezel to better match the stock trim. I am having issues with getting the paint smooth. Should I sand down again and spray with primer to start with a good smooth base surface? The metra bezel was a pain to sand down by hand even how small it is.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can see the rough surface on the edges. Most of it came out really good. I want a finished look without roughness.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,502 Posts
You have some more sanding to do. What grit are you using? Dry or wet sand?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Body filler or high build primer and then sand. I had a similar problem when I painted my old plastic bumper on my truck. I finally skim coated it and then sand, primer, sand and paint. Came out great after that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have some more sanding to do. What grit are you using? Dry or wet sand?
I used 800,1000, and 1200 dry. Should I try wet? I did not primer. I think I will sand again and primer then paint.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,502 Posts
I used 800,1000, and 1200 dry. Should I try wet? I did not primer. I think I will sand again and primer then paint.
I would rough up the bezel with 220, hit it with a build primer, and then dry sand the primer with 400 and 600. You may have to do a couple coats of primer until everything is smoothed out. Then do the top coat and you can wetsand with 1000 and 1200 if you want to smooth it out more.

Keep the topcoats light so it lays flat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you started to high with 800 so it never got fully smooth. Highbuild primer after you scuff it and then sand progressively using finer grit and it will be glass smooth after.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I will post another image after I am done. 👍

Reactions: SAPGoat
1 - 9 of 9 Posts