LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a procharged 2006 GTO that unfortunately blew the #7 ringland with under 200 miles on it. I was idling when the ringland let loose and I was able to shut the engine down immediately with no cylinder wall damage. The car has been sitting a year while other things took priority in my life. I do not want to miss another season so I'm looking to put together an engine in the next two months to catch the good weather. I have the motor out of the car and torn down. Here is where I was at:

LS3 Head/Cam Setup N/A: made 455/430
Same Setup with Procharger on 4.5lbs: 550/480

I am going for reliable street/strip car that is fun to take to the office or beat on it at the track. I'm a realist and I know the car will never be seriously good at anything and I'm totally okay with that. I just want reliability and the ability to pulley down and turn the fun up. Current options I am exploring are:

1) Replace rods and pistons w/ upgrades and keep stock crank
2) upgrade entire rotating assembly - 402 possibly?
3) buy 370, 402, 408 short block and sell off old engine (still have all the stock parts for the LS2 to reassemble as stock LS2)

Here is currently what I am running:

2006 GTO - LS2 Aluminum block
T56 Transmission
D1SC - Procharger - 8.25" crank pulley + large pulley on charger (made 4.5 lbs)
3.91 Gears
Custom Cam Specs - Duration @ .050" 225In/235EX, Advertised 277in/286ex, Valve Lift: .619in/.615ex, LSA/ICL 113/111
LS3 Intake - Stock
Fuel Injector Development - 60lbs
LS3 - 823 LS3 Heads - Stock
Full Suspension
DSS Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
DSS 2 Piece Axles
Kooks 1"3/4 Headers + Full Exhaust
Probably 50 other little things that don't make a difference for this..

Right now I'm leaning towards #3 for simplicity and best timeline. I really don't know what used LS2 long blocks are going for in the present?

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. I need to pull the trigger on this soon as I can't let my car sit for another entire season.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Pistons and rods. Turn the crank perhaps. Wouldn’t do a lot of cubes myself as I’d want a longer lasting motor and have room to grow with a midrange blower.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pistons and rods. Turn the crank perhaps. Wouldn’t do a lot of cubes myself as I’d want a longer lasting motor and have room to grow with a midrange blower.
I'm not sure if I agree with that. More displacement = lower bmep. Probably going to leave stock displacement though.

How's the torque? Is there a noticable kick or does it feel more like a high RPM motor when you start getting into boost?
Does it push you back into your seat from low RPMs or is it more like a gradual build up? Let's say your in 4th gear doing 35-40mph and floor it, can you feel the torque right away?
I've never ridden in/experienced a centrifugal supercharger before. Only roots and turbo cars.
With the 3.91's you can lug it in any gear and still feel instant torque. It's not a lag per say but the procharger really doesn't come alive until about 3500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts