LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My other car has wings
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to install a Procharger over the winter. I have decided on the D1Sc and would like the added cooling benefit of the race intercooler vs the standard intercooler that comes with the kit. I have heard installing that larger intercooler requires a fair amount of cutting around and into the front bumper. Has anybody done this on their GTO? How big a deal was it? I looked for a thread on this site but couldn't find one. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I just stick with the standard intercooler?

·
Worthless reject member
36,260 Posts
IIRC i had the standard back in the day, and even mounting that was sketchy.

the whole procharger plumbing setup is sketchy.

prepare to be creative and make some of your own brackets.

·
My other car has wings
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thought was to leave room for boost growth since it seems to be a universal theme that you always want more. But there has got to be a reasonable limit for a Daily Driver.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So it’s my understanding it’s the bumper crash bar that you have to cut into. I am installing a f1a94 on mine in the next few weeks. I am just doing a little at a time because my work season is so busy. I just started pulling my engine today. I have a darton sleeved 427 CI that I just got done being built. I am just going with the standard intercooler for now. If you are worried about cutting into your bumper bar I would suggest just spraying water meth instead with the stock intercooler. That’s my plan for now if just the intercooler isn’t enough.

·
My other car has wings
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my plan is to keep the boost around 7 psi (LOL) so the standard intercooler should be enough......Realistically, I can't afford to destroy the bottom end of my primary driver nor do I want to destroy the front bumper installing parts that will encourage me to destroy the bottom end. I will have to get creative with the inlet side plumbing to get that air intake out of the hot spot under the hood that the Procharger seems to want to put it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm running a pretty small intercooler and 12psi. I think a turbo makes more heat and my iat's go down when I get on it. I do have mine drawing air from outside the engine compartment also. i feel that does make a difference. If you draw in hotter air, the intercooler has to work that much harder to cool it off. 7-8psi you should not have an issue with heat.

·
My other car has wings
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing opinion on my planned level of boost. I just have to find the best price deal and then I'm gonna pull the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts