LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a F-1D procharger with the upgraded race intercooler. The instructions don't mention how to mount the race version just the standard intercooler. I was wondering who had one installed and did you still keep your trans cooler up front if you're auto and if you did how was the trans temps? How did you mount the power steering cooler line and what size screws did you use to mount the intercooler to the mounting brackets? The kit didn't include or even mention those screws. Did you have to do any cutting to the radiator core support to make it fit? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow. Not a single reply? I could have really used a good answer. I am installing a forged 415 stroker, and I'm trying to decide on a kit. :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Which question do you need answered? He's local to me so I can shoot him a quick message for you. I'd go with an F1X if I were you. I have the F1R and love it. Also have the upgraded intercooler. It uses the mounting holes for the crash bar. Didn't have to notch out the radiator or anything. I don't think any modifications were done besides bolting it on actually. Here's a few pictures from when it was installed on my car. You can see the brackets on the second pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Which question do you need answered?
Thanks, Cucky4. The pics look amazing! I was told by the folks at Procharger that some cutting of the bumper would be required with the race intercooler. Sounds like that wasn't true in your case. Of course, I have the Mishimoto aluminum radiator, which is considerably larger than OEM. As I mentioned in a recent post, I may have to go back (which would suck).

I'd go with an F1X if I were you. I have the F1R and love it.
The technician at Procharger recommended the F1R, so I was planning to purchase that head unit. It will replace the D1SC, and (I think) can use much of the older mounting hardware. Apparently, I need to buy an ATI damper and a couple other parts.

Why would you recommend the 'X' over the 'R'? Has the power bug already grabbed hold of you since you installed the 'R'? :)

-Aphobos

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks, Cucky4. The pics look amazing! I was told by the folks at Procharger that some cutting of the bumper would be required with the race intercooler. Sounds like that wasn't true in your case. Of course, I have the Mishimoto aluminum radiator, which is considerably larger than OEM. As I mentioned in a recent post, I may have to go back (which would suck).

The technician at Procharger recommended the F1R, so I was planning to purchase that head unit. It will replace the D1SC, and (I think) can use much of the older mounting hardware. Apparently, I need to buy an ATI damper and a couple other parts.

Why would you recommend the 'X' over the 'R'? Has the power bug already grabbed hold of you since you installed the 'R'? :)

-Aphobos
Just more potential with the X. I have the R and love it. No complaints whatsoever. You can't go wrong with either to be honest. I think it'd go nicely with your 416.

·
peeeel'n
434 Posts
Which question do you need answered? He's local to me so I can shoot him a quick message for you. I'd go with an F1X if I were you. I have the F1R and love it. Also have the upgraded intercooler. It uses the mounting holes for the crash bar. Didn't have to notch out the radiator or anything. I don't think any modifications were done besides bolting it on actually. Here's a few pictures from when it was installed on my car. You can see the brackets on the second pic.
Great photos!
Does this mean that you do not use the crash bar and styrofoam filler?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great photos!
Does this mean that you do not use the crash bar and styrofoam filler?
Yes. I don't use the crash bar or Styrofoam. I plan on having a tubular one made this winter just for the sake of safety if anything happened as I've already been in a head on collision in a GTO and pretty sure that damn near saved me from a lot more damage.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Bumping this thread because I'm about to install the D1SC with the Race Intercooler. Are there any updates...? Pictures of a homemade crash bar? Any interference problems with a Mishimoto Radiator? Etc....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Here is mine...Pretty easy no fitment issues. I don't use the crash bar it just adds weight anyway. If you want to use the crash bar you would have to notch it and even if you weld it and box it in it's not going to do much. Plenty of distance between it and the radiator so even a larger radiator in the stock location shouldn't have a problem. I have a 160 thermostat and turn fan on at 179 car never gets over 183 degrees even in 100 degree weather so the stock radiator does pretty well. 60% ethanol fuel 14 psi peak at 6800 rpm stock bottom end no issues 17.5 degrees peak timing advance.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Thanks HADAGTO. Looks like a pretty clean installation. Any issues with running the plumbing from the head unit or going to the intake manifold with the race intercooler instead of the out-of-the-box kit parts from Procharger?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks HADAGTO. Looks like a pretty clean installation. Any issues with running the plumbing from the head unit or going to the intake manifold with the race intercooler instead of the out-of-the-box kit parts from Procharger?
I started off with the race intercooler, big red bov, and 8 rib kit with larger crank pulley so I can't compare to the standard stuff. The only issue I had was getting the head unit clocked just right so the 90 coming off the bottom of the head unit would fit between the frame and the alternator. It's tight right there, but if you clock the head unit correctly it will fit without modifying the "frame" of the car or anything. I did also buy a short piece of aluminum intake tubing to replace where the maf would have been. Other than that I can't think of any issues with installation. It's been a few years ago though. LOL. I started at 8 psi and immediately wanted more. I stepped it up one psi at a time until I got to my current 14 at 6800 rpm. These motors are amazing if the tune is good especially if using ethanol and the correct plugs. I use br7ef plugs gapped tight at 0.020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts