LS1GTO.com Forums banner

81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Little update:

Worked over the tune some more this weekend. The big "jebus plug" on the tranny wiring harness was not plugged in fully. -causing all the shifting issues.

With that fixed I started tinkering with driveability. Still a long way to go, but its better.

Power:

I've only given this thing "quarter onion" and that was for only a split second. I can't put into words how fast this thing spins up and the hate it lays behind the car as a result. If I ever get this thing to truly bite the road it's going to be absolutely terrifying.

Pretty cool. I'm stoked.

Trailered it to a car show last Saturday night. "Flies on poop" is a good description. Car had a mob around for a good portion of the night. Good times talking with folks about it.

The Mustang crowd hated it. PERFECT! lol

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Amazing build.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Drove some more yesterday. Discovered a goof in my fuel supply setup.

I machined my own bucket. No big deal. When plumbing the line that is right next to the filler cap got mistakenly plumbed to the bucket's vent line.

That does not work, lol. I had all sorts of weird fuel pressure stuff going on. REALLY weird. Then I go to top this thing off for the first time yesterday at an actual gas station and it revealed itself. The filler spout was gargling fuel. Sounded like a mouth full of Listerine, lol.

That's when I realized my woops. Raced back home and routed correctly and now there's no more stupid chit with the fuel pressure. Basically the tank was trying to inflate like a balloon. No venting present as the gas cap seals the system.

Woops... Fortunately, no harm or damage to anything. A test drive after to verify proved all is better. Fuel psi is actually consistent now. What was happening was it'd start cold at 58psi, then climb the longer the car was running. The return fuel is much warmer than the stuff going to the engine. It would heat up the tank and make it swell. This in turn makes the fuel pressure climb and the whole thing starts to run in a circle making the issue worse and worse. I've only had the car running for relatively short periods as I've been tuning, fixing little things, etc.

I should have caught this one. Brain set on X.5 speed that day apparently.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
G Force 9" went in yesterday. 3.50:1 gears. Outlaw axles and outer stubs as well. Strange 9" alloy 3rd member. Also notched my LC arms for the bigger rubbers.

That box is checked. Driveshaft, converter, and trans due in this week. A few hours there and this thing is ready to finally lay hate.

Finally...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
There are quite a few, lol. When compared to modern stuff like the CTSV's and others, I'm about middle of the pack though. Getting this to truly work took some thought. I was very adamant about not chopping up existing wiring, hoses, etc to run it off a more "bolt on" setup. That and I didn't want the constraint of being literally stuck if the blower belt should fail. With the 6 rib behind it, I can still limp the car home. I don't really plan on taking this thing cross country, but I wanted (insisted) on that level of driveability.

Time will tell if I was successful. So far though I feel pretty good. A close friend (also a GTO owner, a really nice one a that) recently bought a late model Mustang. A 15 I think. Its a blower car also making a solid mid 700's-ish at the wheels. A Roushe Whipple kit, better bottom end, cams, exhaust, fuel, coils, etc. Really nicely done.

It's a very low miles car. He picked it up on a fire sale at the local Ford store and he bought a dealership sponsored warranty. It's had 150-200 miles put on it now and its eaten 3 10 rib serp belts. It's spent more time at the dealership than at his house. This kit was/is all Roushe and advertised and plug and play I guess.

Thus far I've killed one belt and that was a pretty obvious oversite on my part that I should have anticipated. Since fixing it, there's not been one issue. Fingers crossed...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
An update.

The G Force/Strange rear end is installed. That wasn't too bad to do. New wheel bearings went in along with this. Again, not too bad of a job to do. While I was into the ass of this car I went ahead and made some extra room on the lower control arms. I didn't go full out "Chris Nichols" on these things. Maybe next winter I will revisit that. For now I just wanted more room.

The New Extreme Automatic 1500hp rated 4L80 arrived yesterday via UPS Freight. I threw it on the trans jack and just mocked it up. I think it'll plug right up the engine with no drama. I don't have the wiring nausia to deal with. Two wires go to the tranny. Trans Brake and the speed sensor. This one is all manual vb.

BM Quicksilver arrived. Stuffing this in won't be a big deal. The big deal however is returning the center console back to a stock appearing deal. As delivered, the shifter height is a bit absurd. Its a car, not a grain truck. . .

Arm is going to get cut down and rethreaded. Easy enough to do. The trick I"m after is to attach the original OEM shift knob. What GM did originally for the automatics. I was able to buy replacement parts from GTOG8TA.com Knob pieces are cheap so I got a couple in case I screw this up. The goal here is to remain stock appearing. Not that it really matters as when this thing is idling its anything but stock.

MT drag radials are on the way. DS and converter hopefully arrive by this Friday.

The goal is to have the car shook down and ready for passes in 9 days. That's our next drag night.

There's a Dodge Demon running around here. Same guy owns a Hellcat. I want to kill em both...lol.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I admire and drool over this build but I’m a little disappointed. I’m very surprised you went with a full manual valves body given the fact that the 80e can be made to work perfectly. I’m sure you have your reasons but in my opinion this impressive and caliber of build should work perfectly in as many aspects as possible. Maybe you stated why and I missed it. If so, apologies.

·
Biglinux
244 Posts
Yesss !! Work your way up Bro. HellCat first then the Demon. that way you don't make the Demon seize up and come out of that pig.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I admire and drool over this build but I’m a little disappointed. I’m very surprised you went with a full manual valves body given the fact that the 80e can be made to work perfectly. I’m sure you have your reasons but in my opinion this impressive and caliber of build should work perfectly in as many aspects as possible. Maybe you stated why and I missed it. If so, apologies.

I debated on this heavily. What I like about the full manual is the absolute robustness of it and that I am in complete control of how it works now. It's basically a manual minus the 3rd pedal. Time will tell I guess. The more I work on this car the more I admit it'll be a "driver" less and less. That and it might see 2500 miles a year now. Dunno. If I don't like it, I'll pull it, send it back, and have it revised with the electronics. Long winters in SD. Need something to do...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Update...day by day we are getting closer. . .

I installed the shifter last night. I trolled a number of older threads on this. I went a little different route. I cut the tunnel in a couple spots and lowered the placement of the shifter. Made a mount that reaches into the tunnel a little. Thankfully the trans still has plenty of room. I threw the car back in the air and mocked up the trans to be sure.

So, we have a B/M Quicksilver ratchet shifter that will almost pass for OEM if we stand another 10' back from it. :) For now, just to keep things moving along I will tolerate it. When the snow flies again, I'll come back to it and see about making it appear even more stock. I am pretty sure I can figure out a way to get the OEM knob back on it again. That button is begging for the trans brake...

Really close. Converter due in today along with a fresh pair of 305 Mickey's for the extra pair of wheels I bought. Driveshaft here on Friday. Then one week to get enough of a tune on it to be able to take to the strip the following weekend.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Update. A number of folks that I try to listen to have suggested that I 86' the shifter and replace with a gated type. I guess these ratchets are kinda known to kill transmissions. One thing I did discover is the linkage travels are not correct. On the lift I had a friend run the ratchet while I watched the synchronization between the cable end and the shift lever on the trans. On my setup I could get R-N-1-2-3-4 (reverse pattern, manual valve body) to time up pretty well. Park is not correct and it barely goes into it. Not real happy about that and not much I can do about it.

So, I think this thing is getting tossed. Sucks as I like the operating principle.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
God I wish everything worked like it does on paper.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
UPDATE: 6.24

Wanna make a baby cry? 3" exhaust through Borla XR-1's is a great start. lol.

I bought all the tubing and watched a handful of "Ewe toob" vids. We started Saturday morning and got to the mufflers later that night. Made the X pipe from scratch. All the tubes are mandrel bent dairy grade 16g 304 ss.

My 45's should show up today, need those for the back end dual/single exit. Were keeping this bugger as "stock" looking as possible. Would be so much easier if I'd just cave and buy a new rear bumper. Just can't do it. I like the stock location better.

Right now its deafening in the car. One good stiff poke at the pedal and your fillings will rattle out of your teeth, lol. But man, oh man, does it roar when you do it. Makes people jump. :)

Almost there. New alternator arrives tomorrow. Hopefully that resolves the charging demons. I went with a 280a Mechman billet piece. If nothing else, I'll have a mobile arc welder now.

Almost there. Took it out briefly on Friday night. I can drive it for about 15m right now at a time on battery only.

The Camaro rally was in full swing. It pulls in a couple hundred cars annually. I got a standing ovation from the crowd at a local bar with outside seating when I gave it a quick poke. Too funny.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
UPDATE:

Exhaust is in. Way different sound now. Grumbles...

My Mechman 250amp alternator showed up yesterday. I installed that last night. Here's a little tibbit to keep in your hard drive:

I bought the billet version. IF your car is a 2004 and IF you are using the OEM bracket, then an alteration needs to happen. The OEM bracket/alternator measures right at 1.990" where the two marry up. The Mechman piece is +.175" wider. It has a pair of alloy pillars off the front case serving as spacers.

You have two options. Either modify the OEM bracket or the alternator. In my case I chose to machine the bracket because I have two of them and did not want to risk any alternator warranty conflict down the road.

All my other blower drive pieces bolted back in without drama. Nice when stuff works!

Knowing what I know now, I'd of ordered the alternator with the two pillars shortened from Mechman. It's literally plug and play if that happens.

Grounds. They take them seriously and emphasize the need to be diligent. I used 1 gauge silicone coated power cable from a stereo shop. Very flexible stuff and it presents well. I soldered the end terminals, shrunk wrapped the joints, then covered it in this braided pantyhose looking stuff I bought on Amazon.

Finally. The car shows 14.5 volts at idle. It's never done that with all the new stuff.

With that, now the fun can finally begin. I can start driving and "toonin". I did a little last week. Slowing pulling some fuel to lean this bugger out. It's been stupid rich. At WOT I'm at .59 Lambda. I want to be around .775 to .8.

Still a ways to go, but now its mechanically solid.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Load up a walkaround vid at once! You should be a movie trailer announcer the way you build up anticipation.

Has got to be the most -a lot of blanks- gto build ever. Much props.

81 - 100 of 156 Posts